Most Inexpensive Fuel Only System

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

carmaniac37
MS/Extra Newbie

Most Inexpensive Fuel Only System

Post by carmaniac37 »

Hi all,

I would like to run a V8 using factory distributor ignition and fuel it with an MS1. It currently has a hall effect sensor distributor. Will the MS1 be able to do this? I'm working with a very small budget, even considering a second hand unit.
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Most Inexpensive Fuel Only System

Post by grom_e30 »

for fuel only on a ms1 you could trigger off the coil -ve post using the opto input providing its a normal inductive coil.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

What type of v8? exactly what are you trying to achieve with efi?
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
carmaniac37
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by carmaniac37 »

That sounds like it will work perfectly... It is the Audi PT V8. It's a 3.6 liter 32 valve motor with dual dizzy spark and Bosch motronic injection so the EFI hardware is there. Basically, the Bosch system runs the spark just fine but fueling is messed due to a bad MAF and O2 module. An MS1 would be cheaper than replacing those parts, would run MAP based and probably perform better.
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

oh the dual dizzy may be more interesting if it has 2 coils. if you are keeping the stock motronic to do the sparks i wonder if you could use its tacho output as the rpm input to the ms, at a guess that may have 1 pulse per spark event.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
carmaniac37
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by carmaniac37 »

Yes, that's true, two individual coils. The tach output should work although if not... Could I run an input from just one of the coils and setup the MS1 as a 4 cylinder. It only has 2 injector outputs as it is so I have no choice but to batch fire each bank anyway. The motronic has injectors hard wired as pairs already so I would just pair the pairs.
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nathaninwa »

I'm wondering why not spend a little more and get the MS2 setup. Cost difference is so little and the advantages are huge over the ore obsolete ms1
Volvo 940, 2jzge, MS3Pro, daily
240Z, 2JZ, MS3Pro boost control
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

There can be considerable learning and frustration involved in installing and tuning any aftermarket ECU, especially if you want it to co-exist with the OEM ECU. The cost of the stock MAF and O2 hardware alone shouldn't drive your decision. I love MS, but just sayin'...
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

nathaninwa wrote:I'm wondering why not spend a little more and get the MS2 setup. Cost difference is so little and the advantages are huge over the ore obsolete ms1
Agreed
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
Laminar
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Laminar »

Don't forget that you'll need a wideband sensor and controller to get the engine running well. That's not an insignificant cost if you're talking about doing this for as little $$$ as possible.
carmaniac37
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by carmaniac37 »

The whole project is extreme budget... I have an O2 sensor and controller on another car... plan would be to install it in this car and tune it reasonably then rip it back out and put it back in the car it came from (not sure if that's blasphemy). Biggest problem for a full standalone system is that the bosch system counts teeth on the starter ring gear which will not work easily with the MS. I will have to swap flywheels for one with a 60-2 wheel on it and setup EDIS or COP ignition which blows the time and money budget right out of the water. I'm really hoping to "proof of concept" the car right now.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

carmaniac37 wrote:... I will have to swap flywheels for one with a 60-2 wheel on it and setup EDIS or ...
You can't run EDIS with a 60-2 wheel. It only runs with a 36-1 wheel.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

For me, the data logging alone makes MS3/MS3x, EFI Source or MS3 Pro are worth the price of admission.
carmaniac37
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by carmaniac37 »

whittlebeast wrote:For me, the data logging alone makes MS3/MS3x, EFI Source or MS3 Pro are worth the price of admission.
I agree, I have an MS3X PCB 3.0 on my daily driver and it's excellent. I have a much tighter budget for this car though. That's why I'm wondering between microsquirt and MS1 2.2 or 3.0
Paul_VR6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Paul_VR6 »

Unless you want to save money be soldering yourself, I think Micro would be the easy choice.
-Paul
1992 Corrado SLC 3.6 VR6 11.38@120 - MS3 Pro Ultimate - Microsquirt I/O - Can EGT - Racepak IQ3s
kptuned.com - Megasquirting the World! Megasquirt Sales, Service, Tuning and More!
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

Don't waste your time with a V2.2 board at least with a V3.0 kit you'll have a solid base for upgrading at a later date.
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
wes kiser
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by wes kiser »

A microsquirt with 8' harness is already assembled, MS2 based, and costs barely more than the stuff to build an MS1 and harness parts.
86 Rx-7, swapped to 2.3 ford turbo (BW EFR 6758), ms3/ms3x sequential fuel /waste spark, ls2 coils
88 Tbird 2.3t, Microsquirt Module (PIMP), TFI ignition
carmaniac37
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by carmaniac37 »

Decided on a MS1 V3.0 mainly based on expandability in the future.

Thanks for all the help!