is there a quick ref sheet on the IO of the MS3 w expansion

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

TroyKreft
MS/Extra Newbie

is there a quick ref sheet on the IO of the MS3 w expansion

Post by TroyKreft »

I have pages 15,16,18 & 20 of hardware 1.4 manual printed out, but this don't tell me what each point can handle on volts? I like that it already shows amp limits.

Also, can all outputs be used to ground out a relay coil to pull it in? Which outputs actually generate 5v or 12v to engage something? Sometimes referred to as active or passive outputs, I think.

Also, from the factory what are each of the inputs setup to take for signal type(digital only, 5v, 12v, VR, hall), are there any optional modes of operation based on changing jumpers for each input, if so what are the jumpers & optional modes? On the inputs that require a circuit to take a certain type of signal, could it have a side note on how to make or buy this circuit?

Also, input speed limit in Hz for each input, so I know if I can use that input for for a speed input or not?

I had found some documentation in the past on VR & hall input circuits, but can't find it back & I think it was meant for an older MS, so don't know if those circuits are ok for MSx 3.57, as some built in circuitry may already be included on this unit.

Sorry, I'm just looking for a complete definition of each IO point.

All these items would help me on assembling my project quicker. Hopefully it would help others too.
Thanks
Buick GN Building: 250ci, champ aluim heads/champ ported, BGC intake ported by champ, E85, 160lb inj, comp 218/212 hyd roller, Precision 6870cea BB 4bolt, PTC non-lock, Janis trans, 1350 yoked shaft, liq intercooler, ATR header & exhaust, MS3 Pro ECU w traction control, HRparts rear suspension
Six_Shooter
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: is there a quick ref sheet on the IO of the MS3 w expans

Post by Six_Shooter »

All of the outputs from the MS (IAC excepted) are negative trigger and will usually all be strong enough to pull in the coil of a relay, this is where those current ratings come in.

The pages you cited have the information you need. Any specifics like analog signals and speed sensor can be found elsewhere in the manual. The max frequency input AFAIK is much higher than any automotive application currently produces.
Tha Toy: 1973 Datsun 240Z Turbocharged, and loads of fun, now MS'd
Tha Otha Toy: 1923 T-bucket Hot Rod, Currently Sniper'd
Tha Daily: 2005 Chevy Blazer
Tha Summer Daily: 1987 Buick Skyhawk hatchback
Tha Long Term Project: 1985 GMC S-10 Jimmy, hasn't been fun for a while
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: is there a quick ref sheet on the IO of the MS3 w expans

Post by dontz125 »

Six_Shooter wrote:All of the outputs from the MS (IAC excepted) are negative trigger and will usually all be strong enough to pull in the coil of a relay
This is not quite correct. The various 'named' outputs ("BOOST", "VVT") have a fairly rugged MosFET as part of the circuit, and are ready to go for ground-switching out of the box. Note that any positive voltage output will require a pull-up (included for the TACHO pin, selected with a jumper cap). Certain users have reported issues with PWM stability; this is mostly fixed by soldering a jumper from S12 on the V3.0 or V3.57 board to the Cathode of D1 on the 3X card. A fellow who replaced his flyback diodes with Schottky diodes noted significantly increased stability, reduced duty and reduced noise.

PT4 is a digital I/O, and has a fairly lightweight guard circuit. It can be used as a +5v output, but cannot be used as-is for ground switching; additional components are needed. It can be used as-is for a 5v grounding input. It *CAN* be used for a 12v grounding input, but care should be taken to ensure no flyback loads are applied to the pin. If a 12v pull-up is desired for the input application, any light- or medium-duty rectifier diode can be placed just outboard of the pin (band asway from the pin), followed by the pull-up to 12v.

PK1, PK3, PK7, and PM2 are now available for use as programmable outputs with the latest 1.5 betas. These are bare processor pins, and must be fitted with appropriate output circuitry. Attempting to use them as-is will almost certainly result in the purchase of a new MS3 card, or perhaps sending it in for repair.
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems