New user MSPNP2 1991 Ford Mustang 5.0

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

mcse350
MS/Extra Newbie

New user MSPNP2 1991 Ford Mustang 5.0

Post by mcse350 »

Hi, I'm a new user and excited to be part of the group. Thanks for reading my post.

I just got my MSPNP2 installed on my 1991 Ford Mustang 5.0 engine. The engine resides in a 1968 Mustang. The car was running fine on the computer that it came with, a reman. Mechanically, it's basically the 93 cobra spec, with GT40 intake, GT40 iron heads, long tube headers, E303 cam. Super fun car.

I'm preparing to bolt a KB Blower to the top of it. That is not on there yet, we are NA for now.

So in comes the MSPNP2 and the question is how to get it initially running? I have reviewed the documentation that comes with it. I have gotten the base timing set, using the timing wizard was very nice. It cranks and starts and then dies immediately. I am able to keep it running with a little bit of throttle (5%). The first datalog file has the timing fixed, and it is set correctly. I'm sitting there with my foot on the gas a little bit. The second datalog has no foot on the pedal, but the timing is set to Table. It just starts the car, it starts, sputters, and dies really quick, like maybe ten seconds or less if I remember correctly.

So if you have a sec please check out the attachments and give me high level direction. I am reading about VE tables. WUE. ASE. I'm wondering if any or all of those need a tweak.

thanks for helping a newbie out
Jeff
mcse350@yahoo.com
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: New user MSPNP2 1991 Ford Mustang 5.0

Post by Matt Cramer »

Are the injectors the stock size?

Temperature sensors reading right?

Those are the first things to check once you have the timing set.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
CRSTune
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by CRSTune »

Is the AFR sensor calibrated correctly? If so, your log is indicating that it's running richer than 10:1, showing 9.3:1 before it dies. Can you verify that is what you're seeing on your gauge?
I'm in the VA/DC area! Let me know if I can help you locally! I offer tuning and troubleshooting services.
http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 37&t=64269
Email me directly at CRSTune@gmail.com

Personal Vehicle:
'92 Nissan 240sx, KA24DET, GT2860RS, MS3X, Coil-on-Plug
mcse350
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mcse350 »

Hi Matt & CRS,

so more newbie questions, appreciate the patience, Well my IAT sensor (I believe that's Ford name for MAT), it is relocated from the manifold to the air intake, reading a little differently than expected. Not sure if a variance there would cause much troubles or not? You had asked about my AFR sensor, as a stock 1991 Mustang, not sure that I have one, thinking that is computed off of narrowband 02 value?

Matt asked about injector size, I found that I had it off by a pound per hour, initially I thought they were 18lb injectors, I found out that 1991 mustangs come with 19lb injectors, I fixed this in Req_Fuel. Also I calibrated TPS sensor etc.

Well here is how far I got tonight if you don't mind having a look please. Appreciate the help, Im having doubts..

Thanks
Jeff
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Since the O2 sensor is NB, disable it for now. It will cause far more problems than any help it can give.

If it will keep running by holding the throttle open a bit... set the throttle stop-screw so it holds the throttle open more. Begin there. You could also increase the IAC duty-cycle, but the stop-screw is more certain, and easier to understand its "settings"
mcse350
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mcse350 »

Bill, thank you very much. I do have a Wideband LC2 as well, it's half installed. I think at this time I will complete the wideband install/conversion, retest, repost, also considering cracking the throttle with the stop screw.

thanks again
Jeff
mcse350
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mcse350 »

Hi, so the progress today was getting the LC2 Wideband installed. It got wired into the options port, and the 2 stock NBs got disconnected. MS seems to read it fine. Also I cracked the throttle stop screw to maintain like 4% throttle all the time.

These seem to be positive changes. Well I use the log viewer, along with the tune file, and the VE Analyze function wants to modify 44 cells in the table. I think I'm still running way rich.

Question: Is this the right time to start modifying the VE Table? Should I used the suggestions by VE Analyze, is that usually pretty good? Or tell the computer to use the WB feedback to modify VE realtime?

Thanks
Jeff
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

The AFR table is what VEAL will tune to. As shipped the table is for a fairly standard type engine. A car with a decent cam will have a much shorter load range for engine operation. Always good to record the load values for idle in and out of gear, cruise, mild, mid and full throttle and decell. Then you can adjust the tables AFR values as you want/need them.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
Blown88GT
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Blown88GT »

mcse350 wrote:...
1. I think I'm still running way rich...
2. Question: Is this the right time to start modifying the VE Table? Should I used the suggestions by VE Analyze, is that usually pretty good? Or tell the computer to use the WB feedback to modify VE realtime?...
1. ASE % is too high (25). Your range is 25-45%.
Immediately after the engine has started it is normal to need additional fuel. This curve specifies how much as a percentage adder. (5-50%).
2. Don't know why your VE table has loads as high as 116? Try both methods.
1988 Mustang GT, 59k miles, Orig Owner
ProCharger 600B I/C, 12psi, FRP Hdrs, Flwmstr F2, 3G Alt, Contour Fan & DCC, 3.55's, Prog Sprg, Subfms, UCA, LCA, FCA, Tokico 5's, Bridgestone RE-71R 245/40R17, Crane HI-6, Kirban FPR, MS2, DIYPNPF60, Spartan 2, C&L76mm blo-thru MAF, 47lb FRP-LU47
Raymond_B
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Raymond_B »

mcse350 wrote:Hi, so the progress today was getting the LC2 Wideband installed. It got wired into the options port, and the 2 stock NBs got disconnected. MS seems to read it fine. Also I cracked the throttle stop screw to maintain like 4% throttle all the time.

These seem to be positive changes. Well I use the log viewer, along with the tune file, and the VE Analyze function wants to modify 44 cells in the table. I think I'm still running way rich.

Question: Is this the right time to start modifying the VE Table? Should I used the suggestions by VE Analyze, is that usually pretty good? Or tell the computer to use the WB feedback to modify VE realtime?

Thanks
Jeff
Quick question, what color are the tops of your injectors? I am curious because you have a lot of Cobra parts.
1995 Ford Lightning. Dart based 427 Windsor, Novi 2000, full sequential, E-85, etc. MS3X/v3.57
http://www.buildpics.org/
Blown88GT
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Blown88GT »

Raymond_B wrote:...Quick question, what color are the tops of your injectors? I am curious because you have a lot of Cobra parts.
1988 Mustang GT, 59k miles, Orig Owner
ProCharger 600B I/C, 12psi, FRP Hdrs, Flwmstr F2, 3G Alt, Contour Fan & DCC, 3.55's, Prog Sprg, Subfms, UCA, LCA, FCA, Tokico 5's, Bridgestone RE-71R 245/40R17, Crane HI-6, Kirban FPR, MS2, DIYPNPF60, Spartan 2, C&L76mm blo-thru MAF, 47lb FRP-LU47
Raymond_B
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Raymond_B »

Thanks, I guess what I was getting at is that it's possible he might have 24# injectors in there since he has so much other Cobra stuff :) Just something to verify. BTW a Fox based Cobra would have light blue top for a 24lb injector which is not shown above.
1995 Ford Lightning. Dart based 427 Windsor, Novi 2000, full sequential, E-85, etc. MS3X/v3.57
http://www.buildpics.org/