262's 85 Fiero MS3X install

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

ejs262
Experienced MS/Extra'er

262's 85 Fiero MS3X install

Post by ejs262 »

howdy all, I've started a couple of threads on here now, and figured I would start a build thread of sorts. here's a quick rundown of the car:

1985 Fiero SE,
born 2.8 V6 Automatic, Current engine, 06 G6 3.5l V6, F23 five speed. being "run" on an 01 grand am PCM, the engine has a stock forged crank, H-beam rods, .570"+ lift cam, ported heads/intakes. and a 57mm turbo. it hasn't been on a dyno yet, so we'll see eventually where we end up power wise.

couple of videos

https://youtu.be/BENwa-31478

https://youtu.be/poXUW6gbIe0

this is my MS3x setup so far.

the harness connectors have a support block that ensures no flex or strain will be put on the connections to the MS3.

Not done yet (obviously...) but it should be done by the end of next month hopefully.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
ejs262
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: 262's 85 Fiero MS3X install

Post by ejs262 »

had to cut the fuse/relay center off, with it in place, the passenger seat was noticeably far forward, without, it's almost all the way back. I'm evaluating two different install layouts, one with the wires exiting the side of the car through a previously drilled hole, or following something more akin to the stock routing, but going through the middle of the firewall.

side:

stockish:

I'll probably go through the side, as it will be more concealed, and offer a cleaner install. the only major downfall, is that it becomes almost impossible to remove the harness from the car once installed, but hopefully it won't ever need to be removed, and if it does, it won't be my car anymore... :D
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
ejs262
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by ejs262 »

started the mounts for the LS2 coils, they need slight reinforcement, but shoult work ok until I find a better way to mount them. I'm thinking about modifying a set of valve covers to mount them similar to how they are done on a stock LS1/2, but this should get the car running for now.

ejs262
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by ejs262 »

more progress on the wiring, it's shaping up nicely so far, just slow going as expected...

I've decided to make no attempt to hide any wiring this round. all it does is make troubleshooting harder. function before form. I've mounted the speedometer converter next to the recently mounted fuse/relay center. working on installing a digital cruise control module as well, hopefully in the engine compartment behind the passenger seat, need to get a cable before mounting it though.
ejs262
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by ejs262 »

coil mount version 2.0

ugly, but worked...

then came version 3.0, which I forgot to take a picture of...

then version 3.1. which was just a shortened version of 3.0

but, 3.1 wouldn't work on the front and back, just the back, so, version 3.0 was used in the front, 3.1 in the back, forming version 3.1.1

much cleaner., very functional, and should be able to use off the shelf LS2 plug wires.

at this point, I'm probably about 50% done with the wiring, which I have also made much cleaner looking.(the mess int he pictures is just part of the process) I've also finalized the location of the flexfuel sensor.

I also picked up another F23 and began working on a scattershield for the bellhousing, nothing fun yet, just a bell with some heavy sleeves around the bolts.

ejs262
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by ejs262 »

Long time no update...

wiring is pretty much done, but I got myself very sidetracked and added 13" brakes to the car, along with a new rear suspension to make the car handle a little better. in adding the new suspension, the old exhaust wouldn't fit, among other things, so I've been working at a pretty fast clip to get the car back together and plan on making an attempt to start it soon

today I input my MAF table to the MS3x, and was going to start working on the spark table, but the OBD2 PCM used MG/cyl to adjust timing, whereas MS3 appears to use KPA, if someone has a spark table I can use to get started, that would be awesome!