Kawasaki v twin install help.

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

LAV1000
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Kawasaki v twin install help.

Post by LAV1000 »

Mastechtim wrote:I wasn't able to use missing tooth ring. So I'm back to flying magnet pickup. When installing magnets in the flywheel if I'm reading it correctly. They want the magnets installed at 60 degrees btdc. Correct ? Thanks
Somewhere between 90 - 60 BTDC wil do.
Mastechtim
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Mastechtim »

So I should install 2 magnets at 60 to 90 degrees btdc and have it fire the coil when a magnet passes the pick up. Like coil on plug system. I was trying to look in software were I could get and idea of how it fires. But couldn't because i have to have it ready to run. Is there a version of this software where I can check out different ignition system with out power going to the control unit.
Mastechtim
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Mastechtim »

I was hoping they did so it would help me understand how ignition system works in the software. I was thinking it would be like a distributor, but getting signal from flywheel. Is that correct.
LAV1000
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LAV1000 »

Mastechtim wrote:I wasn't able to use missing tooth ring. So I'm back to flying magnet pickup. When installing magnets in the flywheel if I'm reading it correctly. They want the magnets installed at 60 degrees btdc. Correct ? So base idle timing and advance would be set with microsquirt right. I just want to make sure the magnets are installed correctly because I have to have the flywheel balanced after the magnets are installed. Thanks
Reading this I thought you had it figured out.
First, myself have only used a toothed wheel set up, and on those setups it is common to get the gap between 90-60 BTDC.
Should be the same for your magnet(s) because if you take it more to tdc or bdc crankspeed is slowing down or accelrating and the ms systems cant caculate an accurate crankspeed.
I don't know how to set the settings in the MS for your configuration.

MS system calculates the ignition timing based the ignition table.(MAP or TPS vs RPM)
It knows the pickup is at 60 BTDC and uses this as a reference.
Then it starts counting and light the sparkplug at the given angle BTDC from the ignition table.

Ignition table is engine specifik you have to make your own. !
Mastechtim
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Mastechtim »

I believe I would need to set it up the same way as if I was running a MSD pro billet dist. It says to lock the dist down at 10 degrees btdc. But I'm not sure. My thinking is, treat it like a dist system. I just don't know what microsquirt is capable of. Would I need a ignition module. They don't give good clear directions on installing microsquirt with a basic crank trigger. Because thats all this is. One magnet per cylinder.
Mastechtim
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Mastechtim »

Does anyone know about dual spark mode ? Sounds like this is how I should set this V twin up.
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

"Dual spark" is part of B&G code. MSExtra has "Twin Trigger", which is ONE tooth / trigger on the trigger wheel with two sensors. It will work with a V-twin, but a proper toothed wheel and a single sensor is the better method. One sensor and two triggers, presumably set at the odd-fire angle, would require a custom decoder.
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
Mastechtim
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Mastechtim »

It'll cost me to get a 12/2 tooth wheel. 160 for the flywheel and about 150 to 200 for machine work. But if it's what I need. Guess I'll order the flywheel and get it to the machine shop. Would I need one or two sensors. From what I've been reading I'll just need one. Just making sure and thanks for the help. I'm all for making life easier. Even if it cost me.
Mastechtim
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Mastechtim »

One other question, is it possible to integrate water methanol injection into microsquirt or do I keep it as a completely different system. I'm going to inject at the bottom of the intake. So right at the combustion chamber. Down stream from iat.
LAV1000
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LAV1000 »

Mastechtim
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Mastechtim »

Copy that. I ordered the flywheel I need and once it gets here I'll have the machine shop fit the toothed wheel off of it on to the aluminum flywheel they made. Really no other way to do it on this engine. Because of the alternator pulley bolted to the flywheel, also sensor mounting will be much easier. I can use a stock sensor. So it'll be a bolt on deal. Sounds like a plan, more later Thanks
R100RT
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by R100RT »

Mastechtim wrote:One other question, is it possible to integrate water methanol injection into microsquirt or do I keep it as a completely different system. I'm going to inject at the bottom of the intake. So right at the combustion chamber. Down stream from iat.
Microsquirt has some I/O options that can be set to control water meth injection, but that is basically when it comes on at the system pressure, or a dual pressure system to step the control. As far as injecting water meth, I believe its hard to find injectors that will last with the corrosive effects that take place with both fluids. Some of the kits utilize a PWM valve to vary the delivery - I haven't cracked the location of that item and is pricy from the kit people. What sort of flow/ pressure are you looking to use? Typically on say a 1 litre engine it is a very small amount indeed and most pumps are overkill. I found some nifty "Peerless" diaphragm pumps that will provide adequate flow rate for my boxer, at a max of 120psi (I use McMaster Carr SS screened nozzles). The higher the psi and atomization, the better. Perhaps you know all that.
1983 BMW R100RT Motorbike
Turbocharged - Water/Meth
Sequential Ignition & Fuel
"Perky Sleeper" that excites bike enthusiasts once discovered (or being passed)
Newest project - 1995 BMW K75 is V3 Microsquirt, "Turbocharger - Of Course"
Mastechtim
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Mastechtim »

Received this yesterday now I'll drop it at machine shop. I believe it's what I need.
Last edited by Mastechtim on Sat May 06, 2017 6:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LAV1000
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LAV1000 »

Mastechtim wrote:URL=http://imageshack.com/f/poFOeueOj][IMG]http://
Received this yesterday now I'll drop it at machine shop. I believe it's what I need.
Link doesn't seem to work. :(
Mastechtim
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Mastechtim »

Sorry about that. Machine shop made the flywheel and I told him I'd be back to have this ring installed and get it balanced.
Mastechtim
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Mastechtim »

Engine is all mocked up. Throttle cable, shift cables, fuel system, most of the roll cage, complete exhaust, rear suspension, seats and 4 point harness, still working on dash, front suspension, it's come a long ways. Exhaust is all 2 1/2 inch stainless with magnaflow shorty muffler.
LAV1000
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LAV1000 »

Nice timing wheel !
Didn't have any idea on where this motor went into.
But this going to be an interesting drive !