Two relays off fuel pump driver?

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

ejs262
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Two relays off fuel pump driver?

Post by ejs262 »

Can the ms3 handle 2 relays(in series or parallel) off of the fuel pump relay driver? I want my intercooler pump to run when My fuel pump is running and that seemed like the most streamlined way to do it.

Thanks

-Eric.
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Two relays off fuel pump driver?

Post by DaveEFI »

The fuel pump driver circuit is good for up to 1 amp.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
ejs262
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by ejs262 »

DaveEFI wrote:The fuel pump driver circuit is good for up to 1 amp.

so I should be fine then, the current draw for 2 relays in parallel should only be something like .1a right?
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."
Marek
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Marek »

That depends on the relay Eric.
As Morrisey never said, "Some relays are bigger than others".

A relay whose winding usually pulls 50mA in parallel with another identical relay, will have 100mA flowing where the wires are joined.

kind regards
Marek
ejs262
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by ejs262 »

fair, I am running bosch style 5 pin relays, resistance is about 65-85 ohms on the coils. I checked resistance of the 2 coils in parallel, and came up with about 42 ohms of measured resistance. did some quick math, assuming 18 volts, and low end of coil resistance of 65 ohms per relay (32.5 total resistance in parallel) for a huge safety factor:

i=V/R

I=18V/32.5 ohms

I=0..55A

With a more realistic 14 volts, that number is 0.43A, well within the 1 amp max.

is there a fault in this logic?

Thanks-

Eric
R100RT
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by R100RT »

What if you run both pumps off the power feed on the single contacts of one relay - seeing as how it sounds like both will be run full time - no feed back issues.
1983 BMW R100RT Motorbike
Turbocharged - Water/Meth
Sequential Ignition & Fuel
"Perky Sleeper" that excites bike enthusiasts once discovered (or being passed)
Newest project - 1995 BMW K75 is V3 Microsquirt, "Turbocharger - Of Course"
ejs262
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by ejs262 »

R100RT wrote:What if you run both pumps off the power feed on the single contacts of one relay - seeing as how it sounds like both will be run full time - no feed back issues.

I want them fused separately so that a fault in the ic pump will not effect the fuel pump.
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

R100RT wrote:What if you run both pumps off the power feed on the single contacts of one relay - seeing as how it sounds like both will be run full time - no feed back issues.
Always worth fitting a series diode to each relay coil if you're worried about interaction. Or you can buy them with one fitted internally. Of course they then become polarity sensitive.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
R100RT
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by R100RT »

Diodes and Relays - with enough of those you could rule the world :lol:
And didn't note your concern over fuses. Measure the cooler pump draw under start up and running and place a slightly higher rated fuse post relay feed. Provide a relay common feed fuse that is above both pump draws enough for durability but still protects wiring. Or, run the second relay off the fuel pump feed, the coil draw will surely not be a concern for the fuel pump operation.
1983 BMW R100RT Motorbike
Turbocharged - Water/Meth
Sequential Ignition & Fuel
"Perky Sleeper" that excites bike enthusiasts once discovered (or being passed)
Newest project - 1995 BMW K75 is V3 Microsquirt, "Turbocharger - Of Course"