Sensor Shields

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

maych87
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Sensor Shields

Post by maych87 »

I am wiring up my mx3 harness to a breakout box. My questions are regarding the shield on pin 2 of the mx3 harness. It is wrapped around the wires going to my VR crank sensor. Because I'm wiring to a break out box I think I have to strip the clear plastic shielding that it around all three wires and hook the pin 2 on the mx3 to pin 30 on my break out box. Is that correct?

Also pin 2 on the car harness is a shield for the ignition output wire. How do I go about hooking that up? Should I run a second non insulated wire to pin 2 of the mx3 harness and wrap it around the ignition pulse wire and connect it to pin 2 of my breakout box?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Sensor Shields

Post by Matt Cramer »

Shields should only be grounded to one end. At the other end the shield must not be connected to anything.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
maych87
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by maych87 »

Matt Cramer wrote:Shields should only be grounded to one end. At the other end the shield must not be connected to anything.
I know that it is not connected at the sensor end. I guess I wasn't very clear in my question.

1. On the mx3 harness there is only one shielded cable for the crank sensor. The shielded wire is connected to pin 2 of the mx3. If I have multiple shielded sensors do I run an extra wire off of pin 2 of the mx3 and wrap the wire wire around the sensor wire that is supposed to be shielded. I am trying to figure out how to shield another wire that is not my crank sensor. Using the megasquirt harness that I got from diyautotune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Paul_VR6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Paul_VR6 »

Tie the new shield to an unused ground wire.
-Paul
1992 Corrado SLC 3.6 VR6 11.38@120 - MS3 Pro Ultimate - Microsquirt I/O - Can EGT - Racepak IQ3s
kptuned.com - Megasquirting the World! Megasquirt Sales, Service, Tuning and More!