24x ls microsquirt to 440 mopar

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

rrandp88
MS/Extra Newbie

24x ls microsquirt to 440 mopar

Post by rrandp88 »

Many questions in 1!
Looking at some ignition options to run 440 mopar without distributor. Could a 24x ls microsquirt do this running a set of truck coils and ls 24x wheel mounted to the balancer of the 440. Firing order for the LS is 18726543 and for the 440 it is 18436572. Or go with a standard microsquirt and run a ford style edis-8 setup and 36-1 wheel, only hesitation i have seen is using resistor type plugs due to noise i am currently running NGK R5671-8 plugs and do not see a cross over plug to suite. Also could either one of these setups run fuel in the future also? I have an MSD 6al in the car now with a Billet MSD distributor. Going to a turbo setup don't really want to spend $400 on a msd6530 programmable ignition box. It also looks like if neither one of these is an option microsquirt can use an HEI module to run the 6al box and be programmable. Starting the project as a blow though as i already have the fuel pump, regulator, and free 750dp to convert, i think this would keep the car off jackstands all summer.
I have dug into the forum for a couple weeks now and any help or links to similar builds would be appreciated.
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: 24x ls microsquirt to 440 mopar

Post by elutionsdesign »

You wouldn't need the 24x wheel, mount the 36-1 to the balancer and the rest is firmware programming. Without a cam signal you'd need to run waste spark but that works just fine. All of the things you mention are possible.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
gjestico
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by gjestico »

What he said. No one will recommend you retrofit a GM24x wheel, Its a weirdo and only used if your engine already has it from factory. The Microsquirt can do many wheels, Prob works best with 36-1 or 60-2. Firing order does not matter you just wire the coils in whatever order needed.
67 Chevelle, LSX V8 engine, EFI., cuppa 80's TPI projects....I like wires.
rrandp88
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by rrandp88 »

Ok so a universal 36-1 wheel and waste fire ls coils is the best option? Looks like some resistors need to be placed on the microsquirt board with this route. Will flex fuel and launch control inputs still be open? Or should this be done with the edis-8 to keep flex fuel and launch control inputs open. Many have said to just use a msII but i think the microsquirt will be plenty for a street car.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Why not go for an MS3 kit? The difference in cost between that and a micro or MS2 is trivial in a project like this; especially when you throw in the "turbo" word.