stumble when burning/closing/opening tables or other menus

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

dee808
Helpful MS/Extra'er

stumble when burning/closing/opening tables or other menus

Post by dee808 »

Does it hurt to burn when eng running? I feel as it doesnt but yet want to be 100pct sure that it is ok. Is there a "best" practice to follow when burning?

Also noticed that the eng also stumbles when opens/closes tables or popup menus even if no changes were made, like when verifying correct settings,or looking over data to make sure set correctly. I am not talking about the tools tab area up top, i am referring to the tunung tabs area like fuel settings, timing , veal, boost settings are.

Didnt think it mattered much but then again i am no computer science grad nor certified engineer , so wanted inputs from the people in the know.
Thank you
Efi Tuning Noob, so please go easy on me.
AE92 GZE'd 85 AE86 3dr(blue "cancer" pill)
ATS Racing 2.1 stroker GT3071R 92 MR2t t-top (red pill) DIYPNP w/5sgte in the works
"Nobody listens to Turtle"
ol boy
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: stumble when burning/closing/opening tables or other men

Post by ol boy »

That's normal behavior. All changes to tables and settings are copied over from flash into RAM and referenced there until the burn command is sent which then copies and writes back into flash memory. During the write time all input and output interrupts are stopped so the data won't get corrupted. Once finished writing the interrupts are enables and everything picks up where it left off.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
306 SBFord, Torquer II EFI intake, 60 lbs injectors, 8 LS2 coils, VS Racing 7668 turbo, 4R70W, MS3x fw1.4 w/built in trans controller.
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

Some tables are only in flash - AFR for sure, 1 or 2 others - which means that these tables are random garbage until the burn is complete. Engine really should be off when burning these.
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
ol boy
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ol boy »

dontz125 wrote:Some tables are only in flash - AFR for sure, 1 or 2 others - which means that these tables are random garbage until the burn is complete. Engine really should be off when burning these.
All tables, curves, and settings are in flash. The ini file shows the locations within each table. RAM is used to do the math.

306 SBFord, Torquer II EFI intake, 60 lbs injectors, 8 LS2 coils, VS Racing 7668 turbo, 4R70W, MS3x fw1.4 w/built in trans controller.
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

I'm going to disagree with you there. VE, spark, and ... Hmph. A few others. Are held in RAM while running, and while tuning. The flash table is -wiped- as the first part of the burn process; trying to read from a wiped table does your engine nothing good.
TTR Ignition Systems
ol boy
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ol boy »

Held in RAM while running is not the same as stored in flash. Everything is stored in flash. I have several projects that hold values in both eeprom and flash which are read into a RAM address for other math functions.

There are several threads in this forum that state everything is held in flash and referenced for the function calling it. When a change to the VE table is called the table gets copied into RAM and changed there. Once the user is done and sends the burn command, the table held in RAM is pushed into flash to over wrote the values stored there.

In MS2 there is only enough RAM room to hold a single 16x16 table. If you make changes to VE then open a spark table without closing or burning and make a single change you will cause the engine to completely shut down. TS may have a work around for that now. The older 2.6 Rev didn't seem to.

Ryan

slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by slow_hemi6 »

There is never enough RAM.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

'ol boy' is correct on this.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

What then is the *correct* explanation as to why some tables can be burned while running, while others really really should not?
TTR Ignition Systems
dee808
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by dee808 »

Ok so to be extra safe make a habit of cycling key then burn? Is that correct for a best safe procedure?
Efi Tuning Noob, so please go easy on me.
AE92 GZE'd 85 AE86 3dr(blue "cancer" pill)
ATS Racing 2.1 stroker GT3071R 92 MR2t t-top (red pill) DIYPNP w/5sgte in the works
"Nobody listens to Turtle"
ol boy
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ol boy »

dontz125 wrote:What then is the *correct* explanation as to why some tables can be burned while running, while others really really should not?
I think the load and rpm values for the VE/spark tables are stored in a different part of flash. I'm not sure how the program references those values when they are being changed. You can still find it in the manuals about not changing rpm/load with the engine runing. Same with tps cal, afr table cal. Might be a hold over from the older 1.x and 2.x code strings. Maybe I live dangerously!

As for requiring a key cycle for some settings.. during the setup routine the processor needs to set registers for input capture edge, timers, output polarity, set the port/pins to adc, pwm or gpio, ect... so if you make a change from raising to falling edge on the crank input some registers will get changed and loaded on the next power cycle.

Ryan