MGB conversion

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: MGB conversion

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Make sure that whoever you use to tune your car not only knows Megasquirt but knows what's needed for a siamese-port head or at least is willing to learn about it (hopefully not at your expense). Otherwise this will be a very frustrating experience for you and the tuner.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
retired
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by retired »

I'll just echo what Jean says above.

If you go down the MS2-E siamese sequential route, you (or your tuner) need a good understanding of what all the extra variables in the siamese part of the code are there for and what effect they all have.

And, although Jean has already said it I'll repeat, you absolutely must have two widebands to tune out the differences between the inner and outer cylinders.

I know of two people who have installed the MS2-E siamese setup on MGBs but neither of them are in the UK and I don't have much detail of any issues they encountered, but they both went down the route of learning how the code worked themselves rather than expecting a tuner to learn it. I don't see why it should be any harder on a B series than an A series, the only difference I presume is that the head is a bit wider (long time since I've seen a B series head) so the injectors will have to be a little bit further back from the valves - you really want them as close as possible, and dead straight and central (Jean's point about wall wetting) so bear that in mind if you are considering modifying a DCOE manifold.

Otherwise, good luck.

Rod.
Classic Mini "A" series 5 port 1360 turbo
MS2-E fully sequential siamese code
14point7 SLC widebands, inner and outer cylinders and after turbo
digital AFR data and digital displays via Tiny-IOx
SouthCoastGT
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by SouthCoastGT »

Thanks both.

Where about are you in Suffolk Rod? I'm originally from Ipswich. If there are any experienced B mappers up there i could bring it up when I visit my mum. Going back on the train won't be a major problem.
Ratmos
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Ratmos »

I am in Southwick, close to Brighton and will be running a turbo VW on MS3/3X if I can be of help on the MS side but not so much from the 5 port angle.