New User: Signal noise and o2 sensor connection help

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

dereke
MS/Extra Newbie

New User: Signal noise and o2 sensor connection help

Post by dereke »

Hello everybody. Thanks for taking the time to read this. I am having two issues at the moment and ive tried everything that i can think of so i turn to you for help.

Vehicle: 99% stock ae86; only mod being itb's. stock engine, stock harness.

Noise Issue: car pops, spits and sputters as the tack freaks out. can see it both on dash and on tunerstudio. it is sporadic and i cant seem to get rid of it. it is seemingly random since some days it is completely insane to the point that the car wont run and other days its completely gone.

Attempted fixes: new distributor, new shielded wire from distributor to ecu, grounding shielding on chassis near ecu. new alternator, added grounds at transmission, engine and alternator. noise filtering on and tach period rejection timing on and set at 30 (have gone from 1 to 50, higher is better until about 30%).

Not sure what else i can try at this point, please look at the attached msq and trigger log.

O2 sensor issue: I have installed an LC-2 and wired it per the instructions provided by innovate. with their software, i can watch it work and it seems to work correctly. i saw that their output is from 0v-5v and megasquirt for the LC-2 says 1v-4v. I wired the 5v output wire to the ecu on pin 14 (from the db-15 connector) per megasquirt. ive tried fiddling around with the tuner studio menus under tools/calibrate afr table and under fuel settings/ego control. I can not get megasquirt to read and understand the correct afr. it is always buried at 9.0:1 afr. not sure if im not setting it up right or what. im sure its user error but can not find documentation on how to fix or set it up right.

thanks for all your help and please look at my msq and datalog for more inf.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: New User: Signal noise and o2 sensor connection help

Post by Matt Cramer »

First try turning off the noise filtering to see if it's filtering out real signals.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
dereke
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by dereke »

Matt Cramer wrote:First try turning off the noise filtering to see if it's filtering out real signals.
with the filter off and the tach period rejection off, the car will barely run. its a mess without both of these enabled.

also, i noticed that when the alternator is unplugged, the issue is all but resolved. that is why i replaced the alternator and added grounds to it. obviously i cant drive around without an alternator but i think the issue really lies in there somewhere.
dereke
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by dereke »

does anybody have luck with stereo filters on the alternator?

also still looking for that handout on how to get the o2 sensor configured/working
benckj
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by benckj »

Filters or capacitors on alaternators went out with the dark ages. Used one on my Mustang maybe 40 years ago!

I'll see if I can attach the manual for a Innovate MTX-l which uses a LC1 sensor otherwise; Google is your friend.

jim
Toyota MR2 98 3sgte
MSPNP2 with 3.57 mainboard
Innovate WB O2 & soon to be external GM 3 bar MAP
FTDI USB interface on SD Android 5.1 head unit
TD05SL2-18g with external WG
HKS EBC running 17psi boost.
A2W IC with WI 50/50 meth/water
dereke
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by dereke »

benckj wrote:Filters or capacitors on alaternators went out with the dark ages. Used one on my Mustang maybe 40 years ago!

I'll see if I can attach the manual for a Innovate MTX-l which uses a LC1 sensor otherwise; Google is your friend.

jim
How can I solve my filtering issue?
Also, my sensor works perfectly. I use innovates software and it's great. The problem is that the tuner studio isn't reading it or isn't reading it right for some reason and I can't find the answer through Google or anywhere else.
benckj
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by benckj »

Best advice is to search through this forum. The Innovate mis-reading in TS (analouge input) is a common complaint with several recommendations on changing cal constants, grounding points and smoothing. I can't say its just one thing as its best to find out why yours is not reading correct. and fix the issue.
Toyota MR2 98 3sgte
MSPNP2 with 3.57 mainboard
Innovate WB O2 & soon to be external GM 3 bar MAP
FTDI USB interface on SD Android 5.1 head unit
TD05SL2-18g with external WG
HKS EBC running 17psi boost.
A2W IC with WI 50/50 meth/water
dereke
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by dereke »

I don't even care about the o2 right now. I'm taking about the dirty tach signal. O2 was just a bonus question