Tbi style throttle setup, build question

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Tbi style throttle setup, build question

Post by nathaninwa »

Wanted to run my current project past you guys. Got my race car all ready for the season and ran out of time to efi my tow rig. I've got an 86 crew cab dually with a 454, th400 and 4.56 gears. 65mph is pushing this truck pretty hard for cruise speed and I get about 8mpg

I have an 80e just about ready to go in it. Trying to squeeze double digits from it

I'm wanting to efi the rig too. I have an Ms3 for it, but with the design of the performer Intake it's hard to setup for port injection with odd spacing in height. So as to keep down time at a minimum I'm looking at using some parts in the garage and build a tbi setup. I have a 75mm mustang throttle body and looking to mount 6 540cc above it in an air horn I've made

Do this will allow me to still have a tow rig, get the efi built, and do this swap over a week and a weekend

Any thoughts on this?
Volvo 940, 2jzge, MS3Pro, daily
240Z, 2JZ, MS3Pro boost control
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Tbi style throttle setup, build question

Post by slow_hemi6 »

6x540's seems fairly serious for a TBI, what's that over 800hp? My fast has 4x630's and is rated to about 600hp NA. It would be good if they are not a tight spray pattern.
I prefer (but am not currently) to run 4 squirts and staged with 2 injectors as primary and the rest as secondary. My car sat and got driven mildly for a fair while and I ended up needing to clean the secondary injectors due to inaction, that's why I am back on non staged at the moment. Running primaries means they squirt for longer so you don't get idle issues and the distribution is pretty good with 4 squirts. Just don't have your secondaries inactive for extended periods.
Was just saying in another post you have to use more AE then you are probably used to. Get more in and stretch the duration of it a bit. Pretty had to eliminate the quick lean to rich in the logs but you can eliminate the feeling of hesitation.
In general it will want to idle a little bit richer than either port or sequential.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Tbi style throttle setup, build question

Post by nathaninwa »

I've thought staging, and also thought about the inactiveness as well. 6, 540's will net about 500 crank. I could do 4 for now, but have always pondered the idea of an s475 at about 5psi and utilize the lockup in the tranny while on the freeway

I don't mind doing port, but not sure if I'll stick with this peanut port head or move to a rectangle port setup later. The tbi style gives me quick efi and better fuel afr control while cruising and the ability to control timing
Volvo 940, 2jzge, MS3Pro, daily
240Z, 2JZ, MS3Pro boost control