Wideband gauge not matching ts

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

maych87
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Wideband gauge not matching ts

Post by maych87 »

Hi everyone. I am bringing up a topic that has been discussed many times, which is part of my issue because of contradicting info I have read.

I have gone through the whole set up process. Confirmed my inputs and outputs and timing work. Everything is ok except my wideband gauge does not match the ts guage. I have not tried to start the car yet as I am concerned that this needs to be corrected before I do, as the fuel is adjusted based on the wideband reading.

I have an aem 30-4110 which at first when I looked up in the forms was said to be not the greatest and this problem is common. I was about to return the wideband and purchase a new one so I looked at forums to find what wideband works best with the ms3. Innovative lc-1 seemed like a good choice. Upon further research it seems like it has the same issues as the aem. If I end up having to return the aem and order a new one it will take me a couple weeks to receive the new wideband because I am up in Canada. So I do not want to do this unless it is hugely recommended as I want to get my car running.

The aem guage is a linear 0:10 to 4.99:19.98

I wanted to confirm that it was not a power or ground fault so I did three tests on the aem gauge. All the tests were done with the car off and an afr at 11. At an 11afr the o2 volts should be .5

First test: connected gauge directly to battery positive and negative. O2 voltage read .6 volts

Second test: connected gauge to ignition stitched 12 volt power and a separate chassis ground not a ground on the ms3. O2 voltage read .66 volts

Third test: gauge hooked up the same way as test two but megasquirt hooked up to harness. O2 voltage read .71v and is reading the same in tunerstudio. In tuner studio battery voltage and afr jump around slightly.

I am confused how I get all different readings and none that are what they are supposed to be according to the aem manual. It makes me think that it is because the guage draws so much power that it is making the reading off when the car is off. I have it hooked up to a 6amp charger.

The other thing I am unsure of is in the aem manual it talks about adjusting o2 gain to match the voltages to the gauge. I don't see this option in ts. I could manually do it if I had to.

Please give me some advice on what I need to do

Is this normal? And will sort itself out once the car is running?

Should I get a different manufacturer gauge?

Should I adjust the gauge to match ts?

All of this is assuming the afr showing on the gauge is correct. Could there be a problem with the controller in the gauge and ts be correct? I doubt this because of the different o2 voltages at the same afr.

What should I do????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Wideband gauge not matching ts

Post by Matt Cramer »

This seems to be a ground offset issue; try grounding both the MS and wideband to the battery directly.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elutionsdesign »

Buy a 14point7 Spartan2, made in Canada. When you first turn it on it sequentially outputs two different voltages that will help you calibrate everything.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
maych87
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by maych87 »

Ms is reading the correct 5v ref coming out of the aem guage. The gauge 5v ref voltage output does not match what it is displaying on the gauge. I tried grounding both to the battery and no change. I will call the people at aem and 14point 7 today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk