New User: 1993 Renault 21 TXE

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

mvinaR21
MS/Extra Newbie

New User: 1993 Renault 21 TXE

Post by mvinaR21 »

Hi! My name is Mariano, from Argentina, and this is my project, and first steps into the MegaSquirt world.
Car is the first that I own and the one that I was using as daily driver until a year ago. It is a 1993 Renault 21 TXE (phase II), J6R 2167cc. engine, originally equipped with Solex TEIE 36/36 carburetor and Marelli distributor with electronic ignition. I have also installed a Tomasetto Achille CNG kit.
The car was completely manufactured in Cordoba state, Argentina, from 1989 to 1995, but the vast mayority of the parts were brought from Europe (specially the electric equipment).
This car belongs to my wife's family from 1996 to 2008, the year when I bought it (in some way, still being part of the family).

In 2012 I was looking a better way to control CNG ignition timing, and a friend told me about MegaSquirt, and the way in wich that thing would do a better job.
That was the beggining of my madness... And finally, after four years of getting stuff and reading a tons of information, the project has begun.
A year and a month later, this is what I got... (sorry if I don't write with the correct terminology)

- J6R Renault block with completely balanced crankshaft assy.
- New piston liners.
- Iapel forged pistons.
- NPR piston rings.
- J7R Renault cylinder head, with new cam rockers and bronze valve seats and guides (better for CNG).
- Crespo Performance Stage 2 camshaft (276°).
- 4 to 1 exhaust header.
- J7R intake system.
- TRE (The Racers Edge Performance) 30lbs Bosch Style injectors.
- Coil near plug arrangement, using 4 VAG Golf MKIII Coils.
- Modified distributor to be used as Cam trigger.
- 36-1 toothed wheel.
- Chevrolet Corsa CLT and IAT.
- Chevrolet Astra Bosch TPS.
- Fiat eTorq engine VR Sensor and bracket.
- Megasquirt MS3 with MS3x, with barometric correction and Knock module.
- Innovate MTX-L with LSU .9 sensor.

https://goo.gl/photos/HXnSgYAU6NEhVe6j8

I have also restored a lot of parts of the car, such front and rear suspension, transmision, etc. (there's a lot of pictures) and there's still a lot of work to do.

At today, Megasqurt is connected and bringing information of all sensors. RPM sync is working fine and also injectors. The only thing that I must to finish are the connections to coils and fuel lines (including fuel pump, filter and pressure regulator).
The idea is to get a better daily driver, but specially to learn a lot of EFI systems. I hope to have it alive by the end of June, and starting with tune by July.

Hope you like my project, I will be posting updates fast as I can.

Thanks for read my topic!

Regards!

Mariano.