Subaru Justy on megasquirt?

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Subaru Justy on megasquirt?

Post by billr »

Yeah, Jean's advice about the relay board kind of "snuck in" after our discussion last night. I have seen that happen before, where posts appear at a different time than their time-stamp would indicate. Jean knows far more about MS than I do, take his advice. Do, though, be sure to use some kind of relay and fuse protection.

Generally, CKP and CMP sensors in the dizzy can work fine, just less resolution and accuracy for the timing. If it is easy to add a simple missing-tooth crank wheel (like 36-1 or 60-2) I would do it; but not at all critical. Post pictures of the dizzy innards if you want to discuss it in more depth. You will have to lock-out the vacuum and centrifugal advances (if any) in the dizzy, but that usually is a trivial task.
austynn2001
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by austynn2001 »

I'll try to get some pictures of the distributor guts this weekend. I'm sorry if I suck at replying for a little bit. My mother is in the hospital and we've got some very bad news so it's a crazy time right now, but I do appreciate all the great advice from you guys. Hopefully I can get my head back in the game soon and hopefully I'll have most of the stuff I need gathered up by then. I just ordered a nicer looking soldering iron than the big old clunky one I've got now. Should I be ordering any other tools or wiring supplies?
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Well, sorry to hear about your tough times. I would suggest putting this aside and focusing on the "big" issues, but sometimes working on a fun project is exactly what you need to provide some relief from problems. It has to be your decision, but I urge you to not dig into the car/MS much if your head isn't all with the project while you are working. Errors that may creep in will just be an added frustration.

As far as tools: be sure you have small-diameter (.015" and .030") solder, rosin-core and 60/40 (or 63/37) alloy. Small side-cutting nippers, that cut flush on one side are very useful, but not so common; get some anyway.
austynn2001
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by austynn2001 »

Thank you for the kind words. I'm not fishing for sympathy here, just explaining any absences from responding. You're taking your valuable time to help me and I don't want to seem unappreciative. I won't be digging into this project until everything is over, but I will be wrenching on the 91 SS in the meantime. I'm always working on something. Definitely keeps me sane. I'd just like to have everything in order for when I can dive into this one again.