VR/Trigger wheel/coilonplug question

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

balzonya
Helpful MS/Extra'er

VR/Trigger wheel/coilonplug question

Post by balzonya »

Can i use my four post exciter from the inside of my stock dizzy to trigger the RPM signal for when i upgrading to coil on plug (LS1) ignition? (example picture attached
31-755.jpg
)
im deleting the cap/rotor/spark plugs and cutting the the shaft down so i can cover it all with a thin "decorative" cap.
i dont know want kind of signal is sent from the stock cam sensor but i was thinking of getting a new aftermarked VR senor for a fresh clean signal (single rpm input) to the megasquirt. i just want to know if i can get away using the four post or the one post higher on the shaft like in the other picture for the input signal running 4 coil on plug igniters (two outputs). i could get a crank 32-1 but i only want to go that rout if the stock cam rout wont work

Megasquirt 2 3.0 DYI kit
'86 Toyota 4Runner 22rte ~200hp
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: VR/Trigger wheel/coilonplug question

Post by billr »

If the dizzy can have both the 1-tooth wheel and 4-tooth wheel in it, as well as separate sensors for each, then COP can probably work. However, the timing accuracy with just a 4-tooth wheel in the dizzy is so crude it seems hardly worth the expense and bother to go to COP. Just stick with single-coil using the 4-tooth wheel for "basic trigger".
balzonya
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by balzonya »

ive had the coils sitting around for some time now and this build is so out of control at this point the ignition is the only thing not custom. so figured i just upgraded to MS2 and now i have the capability to run COP and i have the coils so might as well. plus it be pretty sweet.

and this thread is actual already out of date. thought might as well do the better more accurate trigger wheel. decided to just do a generic 32/1 crank instead. 6.5' OD and 5.25" ID and ill just attach it to the crank pully.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Go for 36-1 (10 deg per tooth), not 32-1 (11.25 deg per tooth.)

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
balzonya
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by balzonya »

dang, already ordered it. haha. i didnt see a 36/1 offered from the company i bought from though.