Ford Ranger 2.3L and Mazda B2300 2.3L Cam Syncronizer

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

mguseila
MS/Extra Newbie

Ford Ranger 2.3L and Mazda B2300 2.3L Cam Syncronizer

Post by mguseila »

I am new to this forum so I don't know if I'm in the correct section. Put MS3 v3.0 kit together. Installed MapDaddy 4 MAP sensor and MS3X board. Having trouble setting up the the Cam signal for the MS3x board.Using toothed wheel 36-1 and a Camshaft Syncronizer that Ford and Mazda use on the 2.3L engines. Set for coil on plug, It is a four pin connector and has a cressent shaped rotor. It looks like a single tooth rotor but the tooth is 1/2 the diameter of the rotor'. The hall sensor is blocked for half the rotation and unblocked for the other half. I can't find any info on the sensor pin out. I have the tool for setting it when installing it. I think the pins are (from left to right) 12V. NEG. SIGNAL. RETURN. Turning it by hand with 12 volts and Ground on pin 1 and 2 I get a voltage on the number 3 pin to number 2 pin of .050V low and .501V high. I get the same readings from pin 3 to 4.I don't get the voltage signal from pin 3 to pin 2 or 4 unless pin 4 is for a shield. If anyone knows how to hook this sensor up I sure could use the help. I've gotten this far without any major problems but I cant get past this step. Is there any way to log or monitor this sensor in Megalogviewer so i can tell if it is working. I would attach a msq and data log if I knew how to do it. At this time I'm suffering from information overload from building the kit and trying to learn the workings of both programs.
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Ford Ranger 2.3L and Mazda B2300 2.3L Cam Syncronizer

Post by elutionsdesign »

Maybe it needs a pull up? The transition from 0.50-0.5V is your signal but you'll need more rise or fall to trigger. Use the composite logger under Diagnostics and High Speed Loggers tab in Tuner Studio, it will show both crank and cam signals.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
mguseila
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mguseila »

Thanks for the info. It will take me awhile to try it out. Don't have a runnable engine at this time. Using a block, crank, head with cam and timing belt and starter to test things out. One last question. The second trigger active on Rising edge, Falling edge, Poll level. Is Rising going from .05 volts to .501 volts and Falling going from .501 to .05? Don't even know what Poll level is. Hopefully I'll get this worked out now. If not I'll ask more questions.
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elutionsdesign »

Ignore poll level for this application. Yes, rising edge low to high, falling high to low, you'll have to figure out where that happens relative to TDC #1 compression stroke to know which to choose.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
mguseila
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mguseila »

I tried rising and falling edge. Still nothing. Tried pull up resister and sensor quit working. Made in China good stuff. Got Ford sensor and I have higher voltage. 1.23V High and .729V Low. Shows cam pulse in log file but it stopped working and had Cam Fault turn Red. Sending log file and msq file. Still don,t know if the sensor is wired correctly. The Ford part number for it is F47E-12A112-AA. Not sure if it's 12 volt or 5 volt. Log file was done with it on 5 volt.
mguseila
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mguseila »

Adding 2 more log files. Maybe it will help. Tooth logger and Trigger logger.
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elutionsdesign »

Composite log is the only logger that will show the cam signal and it's not there. The crank signal looks fine. Review the manuals for wiring the cam input, keep trying!

mguseila
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mguseila »

I want to thank you for your help up to this point. I think the problem is with this Ford cam sensor. I have to find out how to change the signal from .75V low and 1.5V high to 0.0v low and 5V high (or less than 5V). I think it's the low signal not going to 0.0V is what's causing the error. I have to stop and rethink this whole thing. I'll post more when I get it sorted out. Hoping someone else reading this might know how to convert the signal. Pull up resistors won't do it.
mguseila
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mguseila »

I gave up on the Ford sensor. Can't find any info about it anywhere.I took the sensor that went bad and with the help of a lathe, die grinder, hack saw, and drill I installed a small magnetic ABS sensor into the sensor case. Installed the alignment installation tool and installed the sensor housing into the block. I now have a cam signal. If I'm reading the log file correctly I think the pulse is 82 degrees before the missing tooth. That's about 12 degrees BTDC. I can move the sensor to get the 80 degrees in the ignition settings. Look at the new log file and tell me what you think. I'm sure glad I decided to just use a block, head, cam, and sensors to test this on. If all is OK I'll move on to making spark then firing the injectors. Then I'll build the the real engine. Almost forgot. No more Cam Error
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elutionsdesign »

You've actually got two signals, you probably have to sort that out so you only have one. The signal looks great but you've got two rising edges per engine cycle.

mguseila
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mguseila »

I think it's fixed now. I removed the synchronizer assy and cut the half moon shaped wheel so there is a single tooth that's 5/16 inch wide. Reassembled everything and did another log file. The wheel was a single tooth but it was 180 degrees in diameter. Don't understand where the second pulse came from. I'm hoping I can move on to my next challenge of making spark. New log file.
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elutionsdesign »

Yes! Right on, good job.

jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Only just read this post. Switching to "Poll Level" would have done the job.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
mguseila
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mguseila »

Could you explain the working's of Poll or at least point me to where it explains it. Would be nice to know for future projects. Moving on to spark settings. I hope it easier than the cam sensor.