My intro, my talk at a conference about MS and a gift: pyEfi

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

lucid
MS/Extra Newbie

My intro, my talk at a conference about MS and a gift: pyEfi

Post by lucid »

Hi friends!
I've been squirting for 6 or 7 years now and I've lurked the forums for twice that. I finally decided it was time to put myself and my project out there.

So.... I'm a Machinist turned DevOps Engineer / Amateur Programmer. That's a story I'll spare you from for now, but I'll tell you this: Craigslist changed my life... :shock: ...and not in the "What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas"... kind of way. :lol:

I've been teaching myself various programming languages on the side since I scored my job off CL ~2 years ago. The beginning of 2017 I started on some code/scripts in Python to collect data from Megasquirt's Serial interface as a way to teach myself Python. The loose collection of scripts has grown into semi-useful tool for capturing data, decoding it, storing in a Redis database, and displaying it close to real-time -- all from a terminal window. There is no GUI here and this tool is very linuxy. Currently I can get 44-46 collections per second with the 'A' command.

Data shown is from the 'stimulator' code so I don't have to have my MS test rig running all the time.
backup link: https://imgur.com/a/ynwdN

A few months ago, a good friend of mine was helping me with a coding hurdle and he was looking at my project. He persuaded me to give a talk about it at a local Python user's group. I'd say it was a success because the group persuaded me further.... I submitted the talk to pyOhio (a yearly Python conference hosted by Ohio State University), and the talk -- to my surprise -- was accepted. I'm still in shock that everything happened the way it did... I started pyEfi to teach myself Python this year and there I was, giving a talk about it months later.

So, here's the talk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2upkxCL44A

and here's the code:
https://github.com/lucid281/pyEfi

There's alot to the project, some of which isn't documented very well or at all. Feel free to contribute, ask questions or whatever. Happy squirting!

Thank you to anyone that has ever made Megasquirt possible. The gains from MS are far more than just horsepower... :RTFM:
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: My intro, my talk at a conference about MS and a gift: p

Post by Matt Cramer »

I'm more familiar with the ball sort of python than the computer sort, but that looks impressive. Welcome to the forum.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
lucid
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: My intro, my talk at a conference about MS and a gift: p

Post by lucid »

Thank Matt!

As far as languages are concerned, Python is one of the easiest and most practical for general purpose programming. You wont be writing code like whats inside a MS, but it's a start. Check it out if you are/ever might want to be into that kind of thing.