Still no start

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

balzonya
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Still no start

Post by balzonya »

I'm back again. Still won't start...
ms2 v3 dyikit ls1 coils, 440cc inj, turbo 4 cyl, 32-1 crank with megnetic VR

Before I was getting odd RPM readings when cranking so I adjusted the VR location straighter on the wheel and brought it closer. Also changed the location of tooth #1 so it lines up with TDC instead of lining up with the sensor at TDC. Counted the gaps backwards to the sensor (5) and times it by 32-1 teeth ratio (11.25) so the tooth angle in tunerstudio is 56.3. This is the correct setting right? Using the rising edge I'm getting a better signal but still isn't as steady as I'd think it to be.

Pulled a plug and found it soaked with gas so I'm testing the coils. Put the plug in the wire and let it hang and turned the motor over it did the spark on power up like it does but wouldn't spark when cranking. On the pigtail I'm getting 12v to the power and 5v to the signal but only 9v power when cranking. That a normal voltage drop?
But after messing around with it and testing now nothing is sparking at all. I need to get a spark tester tomorrow

I still feel like It's in my tunerstudio settings or tables or something like that. Sounds good when cranking. Sometimes try's to start with no luck.
LAV1000
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Still no start

Post by LAV1000 »

Did take a look at your log file (msl).
Battery voltage is to low, no cranking 11.8V at cranking 8.0V.
This could be a bad mainpower connection or a discharged/bad battery.
There is still something wrong whit the rpm signal because it keeps losing sync when cranking.
This might low voltage or sparkplug noise.

First thing, take care of the voltage issue.
Tuner studio has a output test, use it to make sure every thing works.
Take care on injectors and fuelpump

Next thing rpm signal, disconnect power from ignition coil(s),injectors and fuelpump.
Get sparkplugs out, and start making toothlogs,you might get new resistor type plug or clean the old ones whit a torh.
Flooded sparkplugs are not reliable.

Toothlog ok, put sparkplugs in connect coil(s), make toothlog.
At this point check timing whit a strobe light, in Tuner Studio you can put in a fixed timing easier to work whit at this point.
Toothlog ok, connect fuelpump, make toothlog,
Toothlog ok, connect injectors, make toothlog.
Toothlog ok,Start car and make new datalog (msl).
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

It's losing sync; can you post a tooth log?

You'll also want to fix the MAP sensor calibration; it's reading lower at key on / engine off than some engines will read at idle.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
balzonya
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by balzonya »

I had the map sensor setting on GM and not the one provided in the ms kit (mxp4250)
A tooth log is everything unhooked? Just the vr sensor reading?
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

Any time you have a starting issue or wild RPM numbers wile cranking, follow these steps.

Charge up your battery

Go to the Tuner Studio High Speed Loggers tab

Kill the power to the injectors. If you skip this step, you will hopelessly flood the motor.

Pick Composite Log, hit <Start> and crank the motor for 10 sec. Hit <Stop> and then save the log

Pick Tooth Log, hit <Start> and crank the motor for 10 sec. Hit <Stop> and then save the log

Last, Go to your ignition settings page and change the upper left drop down to Log Crank&Cam (Note: the motor will never start in the mode as the ignition setup setting). Got back to the Tuner Studio High Speed Loggers tab and Pick Composite Log, hit <Start> and crank the motor for 10 sec. Hit <Stop> and then save the log

When done, post those logs. Any other procedure will only destroy your starter, battery and your mood. Including a description of you tooth setup on cam and crank is helpful.

Andy
balzonya
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by balzonya »

*EDIT* Andy i have a 32-1 crank with a magnetic VR sensor. no cam sensor

I wasn't able to get two logs before I lost ecu power (still working on this new issue) but they are will everything hooked up and plugs in. Was testing the feature a bit and out of no where I lost ecu power. So I'll post those in a minute. And haven't even gotten to starting the process your guys listed but I will start that tomorrow once I get the ecu power back.

And Andy you are right. Almost cooked my starter the other day, I'm draining battery's left and right and my mood is absolute garbage.

I just wanna thank you guys again for a least attempting to help me.
Last edited by balzonya on Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
balzonya
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by balzonya »

alright heres the logs for what there worth. i believe my battery was starting to die during them.

also i was thinking.when i did the modification of the board for the VR sensor (5.2.2 in the manual) i did the physical jumpers right, now it goes on the step "C"...
c) With a small screwdriver, turn the pots, R52 and R56, about 12 turns anticlockwise (sometimes you may feel
a "click" when the end position is reached, they can't be damaged by turning too far.) This sets them up for most
VR sensors.
i did the 12 turns but not the next step
Optionally, when adjusting R56, you can measure the voltage at the "top" of R54. You'll need the board powered
up. Set your meter to volts, and connect the +ve probe to the top of R54 and the -ve probe to ground. Adjust
R56 to get the lowest voltage on your meter.
do you think this would be beneficial? could this be part of my crank signal issue?
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

I often am counting teeth wrong in a tooth-log, but I think I am seeing a "35-1" in your logs; not a 32-1 Anybody else seeing that, or at least not a 32-1?
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

Good catch Bill. I am seeing/counting a 35-1. The long tooth is coming up as real close to twice as tall as the surrounding teeth, so it is a -1 wheel.
balzonya
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by balzonya »

first question, what program do i need to view the tooth logs, msl and datalogs cause i want to view them.

that really weird cause im looking at picture of my settings at it clearly reads trigger wheel teeth (teeth) - 32
i'll double check the actual settings tonight but why would you guys be seeing 35 teeth?
now that i think about it, i never actual counted the teeth after i bought the wheel. its a european company and took forever to get here so once i got it i was in a hurry to slap it on. ill count the actual tooth number later to double check.
Last edited by balzonya on Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

balzonya wrote:first question, what program do i need to view the tooth logs, msl and datalogs cause i want to view them.
MegaLogViewer.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
balzonya
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by balzonya »

Matt Cramer wrote:
balzonya wrote:first question, what program do i need to view the tooth logs, msl and datalogs cause i want to view them.
MegaLogViewer.
That what I assumed. I couldn't get that program to load on to my computer but I'll do it on my work computer
balzonya
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by balzonya »

ok, dont order parts when drunk!!

http://trigger-wheels.com/store/contents/en-uk/p13.html
this is the wheel i bought. i swear it was a 32-1 but its definitely a 36-1. so you guys are seeing 35 teeth and 1 missing right? this is probably been my issue this hole time.
ugh, can feel the headache creeping on...
did my VR sensor reading look "good" to you guys? besides being on the wrong tooth count did you guys see any other issues there?
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

That part looks correct...

(Corrected, I was on a cell on that post)
Last edited by whittlebeast on Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Do you now see 36-1 in the CSV files, or do they still look like 35-1???
balzonya
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by balzonya »

alright i had to know for sure so i ran home a lunch and counted my teeth and its confirmed, im a terrible mechanic, haha.
i count 35 teeth and one gap. so im assuming my settings should be 35 teeth, 1 missing tooth and my sensor being 5 gaps before TDC would make it 50 degrees BTDC correct?

(i dont have the manual on this computer so ill double check before i start anything but i thought to figure the degree you count the gaps back to the sensor from TDC and multiply by 10. can someone confirm?)
LAV1000
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LAV1000 »

36-1 is the correct to way to notice.
Original it were 36 tooth and you take 1 tooth out, 36 minus 1 > 36-1.
balzonya
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by balzonya »

LAV1000 wrote:36-1 is the correct to way to notice.
so in tunerstudio i put 36 teeth and 1 missing? or do i put 35 cause theres only 35 physical teeth on the wheel?
LAV1000
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LAV1000 »

balzonya wrote:
so in tunerstudio i put 36 teeth and 1 missing? or do i put 35 cause theres only 35 physical teeth on the wheel?
In tuner studio you put in 36 teeth and 1 missing.
And yes you have 35 physical teeth on the wheel :yeah!:
balzonya
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by balzonya »

LAV1000 wrote:
balzonya wrote:
In tuner studio you put in 36 teeth and 1 missing.
And yes you have 35 physical teeth on the wheel :yeah!:
ok juuuuust making sure cause at this point i cant trust myself.

wish i had an update for you guys but im blowing my main EFI fuse now and cant track that problem down. i must have the worst luck ever or the truck just doesnt want to ever be driven. :roll: