Chosing an o2 sensor

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

TheEgg
MS/Extra Newbie

Chosing an o2 sensor

Post by TheEgg »

I know that I want a wideband o2 sensor, but I dont know which one. The sites I have been sourcing my vw fuel injection parts from have different options for the o2 sensor. DIY Autotune has instructions for a couple versions, but nothing on why those particular o2 sensors were chosen. Should I just get the cheapest one I can find on amazon that has wiring schematics, or is there some particular features I am looking for in my wideband o2 sensor?

1600 vw type 1 engine
dual cb performance throttle bodies and intake manifolds
microsquirt (eventually)
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Chosing an o2 sensor

Post by billr »

Many of us like the "Spartan" series from <14point7.com>
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

this^
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

TheEgg wrote: DIY Autotune has instructions for a couple versions, but nothing on why those particular o2 sensors were chosen.
The reason we've been carrying the Innovate line is good personal experience with them; we run these in our own project cars, they've generally turned out well, and when we've had issues, Innovate has gotten back to us quickly. Jerry had initially run another brand of wideband in his MR2, but had trouble getting support from them (I won't name the brand since this was over a decade ago, and I've heard they are doing better). Sure, Innovate isn't the only game in town; there are other good choices out there now. But it only makes sense for us to carry one or maybe two brands ourselves. We're not Summit or one of the other huge warehouse operations; it doesn't fit our business model to stock a bunch of competing brands.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
jsimmons
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jsimmons »

Matt Cramer wrote:
TheEgg wrote: DIY Autotune has instructions for a couple versions, but nothing on why those particular o2 sensors were chosen.
The reason we've been carrying the Innovate line is good personal experience with them; we run these in our own project cars, they've generally turned out well, and when we've had issues, Innovate has gotten back to us quickly. Jerry had initially run another brand of wideband in his MR2, but had trouble getting support from them (I won't name the brand since this was over a decade ago, and I've heard they are doing better). Sure, Innovate isn't the only game in town; there are other good choices out there now. But it only makes sense for us to carry one or maybe two brands ourselves. We're not Summit or one of the other huge warehouse operations; it doesn't fit our business model to stock a bunch of competing brands.
my innovate was a pain. while it worked I could never get the readings correct in tunerstudio compared to the gauge. no doubt the issue was ground offset and I moved the grounds a few different times. I switched to the Ballenger afr500v2 with a ntk sensor and bam issue gone. just my experience. I wish the afr500v2 had canbus features and if it did it would be perfect imo.
Paul_VR6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Paul_VR6 »

Had lots of issues with Innovate LC1s on certain firmware, and most complaints are on those older units. I have had good luck with LC2 and MtxL units.

The spartan works well but supply can be an issue.

For big power cars I use the ntk sensor with the Ballenger AFR500
-Paul
1992 Corrado SLC 3.6 VR6 11.38@120 - MS3 Pro Ultimate - Microsquirt I/O - Can EGT - Racepak IQ3s
kptuned.com - Megasquirting the World! Megasquirt Sales, Service, Tuning and More!
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

Paul_VR6 wrote: The spartan works well but supply can be an issue.

No longer.... Stinger Performance carries the Spartan2 here in the U.S. 2-4 days
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
quan3165
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by quan3165 »

I would just be sure the kit you purchase includes a Bosch LSU 4.9 sensor over the earlier LSU 4.2, which requires periodic free-air calibrations (PITA). The 14point7 unit has used a 4.9 for a few years and I'm sure most of the performance/aftermarket is headed this way also.

Hope this helps.
Tuning in Houston, TX area
https://www.racebushings.com
KeithBoden
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by KeithBoden »

I ran a PLX M300 (?) controller for a number of years. I had no issues with the controller, but had to replace the sensor at least yearly. On my latest build, I used two of the Spartan units, specifically because they didn't have a gauge, were economical, and because I was also looking for the LSU 4.9 and a capable controller. I have had no issues with the sensors or controllers so far at ~500 HP per sensor, so +1 from me for those.
Paul_VR6 wrote:For big power cars I use the ntk sensor with the Ballenger AFR500
Can you shed some light on what issues you see or why at some higher power level you go with a different sensor? Just curious!
Camaro, Mark IV aluminum big block Chevy, 8.8l, Procharger F1-R @ 12psi, MS3Pro