Pullup Resistor Soldering Examples

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Raymond_B
Super MS/Extra'er

Pullup Resistor Soldering Examples

Post by Raymond_B »

I am wiring up my crank trigger and cannot get the pull up resistor soldered in how I would like. Can you guys show me examples of how you wire in an inline resistor?
Last edited by Raymond_B on Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
1995 Ford Lightning. Dart based 427 Windsor, Novi 2000, full sequential, E-85, etc. MS3X/v3.57
http://www.buildpics.org/
LAV1000
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Inline Resistor Soldering Examples

Post by LAV1000 »

You can solder it inline at any place and use some shrink tube to protect it against damage or breaking.
Find a good place whit out mechanical stress to the wire(s).
Tip: but shrink tube on wire before you start soldering :D
LAV1000
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LAV1000 »

You can solder it inline at any place and use some shrink tube to protect it against damage or breaking.
Find a good place whit out mechanical stress to the wire(s).
Tip: but shrink tube on wire before you start soldering :D
Raymond_B
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Raymond_B »

Yeah I understand what to do, I was just looking for examples sometimes seeing examples helps.
1995 Ford Lightning. Dart based 427 Windsor, Novi 2000, full sequential, E-85, etc. MS3X/v3.57
elaw
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elaw »

Does this help (just a random image I found with Google)?

Then you just put heatshrink tubing over the whole thing... and shrink it of course. 8)

If the resistor diameter is significantly larger than the wire you have to be careful with your choice of heatshrink size as you want to make sure it shrinks tightly on the wire. Alternatively, what I sometimes do is use some smaller heatshrink on the wire and sometimes the solder joint to increase the diameter a little, then put a larger size of heatshrink over the whole thing.

BTW I think a 1-watt resistor would be excessive. 1/2 watt is good, or 1/4 watt if you do a good job with the heatshrink to make sure strain isn't put on the resistor leads.
Eric Law
1990 Audi 80 quattro with AAN turbo engine: happily running on MS3+MS3X
2012 Audi A4 quattro, desperately in need of tweaking

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
Raymond_B
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Raymond_B »

elaw wrote:Does this help (just a random image I found with Google)?

Then you just put heatshrink tubing over the whole thing... and shrink it of course. 8)

If the resistor diameter is significantly larger than the wire you have to be careful with your choice of heatshrink size as you want to make sure it shrinks tightly on the wire. Alternatively, what I sometimes do is use some smaller heatshrink on the wire and sometimes the solder joint to increase the diameter a little, then put a larger size of heatshrink over the whole thing.

BTW I think a 1-watt resistor would be excessive. 1/2 watt is good, or 1/4 watt if you do a good job with the heatshrink to make sure strain isn't put on the resistor leads.
Thank you, I just realize I titled the post wrong, I'm not soldering inline I am soldering across two wires for a pullup resistor. But that image is still a good reference.
elaw
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Pullup Resistor Soldering Examples

Post by elaw »

Ah, okay, that's a horse of a different color!

Are you trying to put it inline or inside the Megasquirt? I'd strongly recommend the latter... it's not only easier (in terms of not having to seal the connection against the elements) but gives you access to a good "clean" power source.
Eric Law

Raymond_B
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Raymond_B »

elaw wrote:Ah, okay, that's a horse of a different color!

Are you trying to put it inline or inside the Megasquirt? I'd strongly recommend the latter... it's not only easier (in terms of not having to seal the connection against the elements) but gives you access to a good "clean" power source.
I was trying to put it in the wiring harness, it is the Cherry hall crank sensor (GS100202). My plan was to put it in where the Cherry harness meets the MS3 harness.
elaw
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elaw »

Pardon the crummy Paint work but this is how I'd do it:
Image1.png
Basically you need to expose the copper in each wire, offset about an inch. If the insulation is flexible enough and you have the right stripper, you can sometimes do it without cutting the wire. Or, just cut the wire and splice it back to itself, or just use the splices between the sensor wires and the Megasquirt wires. Then wrap the resistor leads into the splices as shown, and solder. Then heatshrink over the whole thing, to keep water out, provide insulation, and provide mechanical support.

If you're powering the sensor from 12 volts, I'd use a 1.5K 1/2 watt resistor. If you're powering it from 5 volts (Vref), I'd use 390 ohms, 1/2 watt. A lower-wattage resistor can work electrically, but as indicated in the image I first posted, 1/2 watt resistors tend to have thicker leads that are stronger.
Eric Law

Raymond_B
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Raymond_B »

I decided I wanted to use a Metri-Pack connector so I ended up just crimping the resistor in the connector. It's not in the pic, but I used heat shrink just below the Metri-Pack seal to protect the resistor and wires.

I fixed the shield drain wire, those are so fragile.