Potential New User and Greetings

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Tris1948
MS/Extra Newbie

Potential New User and Greetings

Post by Tris1948 »

Evening all - a prospective new user here

Let me set the scene - I ride a 2005 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100 with a 90 degree V twin (odd fire I think)

This machine is fully fuel injected (Magnetti Marelli IAW 5AM) with the "feature" that the immobiliser and the atmospheric air pressure both come from the dash
The other part of the this feature :evil: is that the dashes are prone to moisture/water ingress so when you loose the dash you loose the bike, unless you can find a new dash (circa £1000 :o ) or a secondhand one (typically £300) which sooner or later will almost certainly die.

The bike comes with standard Magnetti Marelli inlet air temp, oil temp, crank position, TPS & ICV as standard. NO MAP or MAF sensors. I can also get the standard maps from the existing ECU. It also has 2 coils each driving 2 plugs per head

At the moment I'm looking to see if I can avoid the Sword of Damocles hanging over the bike by switching to an aftermarket ECU

So my question is can Mega/Microsquirt be used with these existing sensors and initially can the existing fuel/ignition maps be translated across to the MS

At the moment I'm only looking for general confirmation that I setting out on a journey that will be successful in the end, but if the MS is a realistic solution, I plan to do a LOT of reading and (my apologies to you all now) a LOT of questioning on the forum

Cheers and thanks in advance

Tris
LAV1000
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Potential New User and Greetings

Post by LAV1000 »

Check > Quick links: Manuals and look at the microsquirt sounds ideal for your Guzzi !!

You cant swap the oem settings to the microsquirt.
But all not known sensors can be calibrated.
Try to figure out witch sensors you have.
Try to find out the crank or cam teeth pattern.
Ecu needs this to know crank angle/position.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Focus on that crank wheel config first. That seems to be a problem for many bike installs; and you probably don't have the space to add a simple missing-tooth wheel if the stock wheel isn't supported in the FW. Also, let's hope somebody will soon confirm that the odd-fire 90* V-twin is supported.

As said above, sensors/coils/injectors are rarely a big problem; not much worry there.
Tris1948
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Tris1948 »

Cheers Both

Here's a picture of the crank wheel (Guzzi call it a Phonic Wheel)

If I count the visible teeth I get 46 and eyeballing the gap I guess 2 missing.

Would that make it a 48-2 wheel?

In my reading so far I don't think I've seen reference to wheels with 2 missing teeth :?

If its not 48-2 then it has to be a 47-1 which would be even weirder given that 47 is a prime number!!
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Yes, that looks like a 48-2 wheel. I've seen this arrangement on a lot of Italian bikes. Does it spin at cam or crank speed?
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
LAV1000
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LAV1000 »

Trish,

It would be nice to infect you whit the megasquirt virus :D

But the only problem you seem to have is the baro sensor.
Is it possible to relocate this or an other baro sensor ?
Most Italian bike factories are to small to make there own sensors, they use car parts.

I run a Ducati ST2 engine in a Cagiva Elefant, its also full of magneti marrelli sensors.
And it has a 48-2 camwheel (46teeth and 2 teeth left out) 48 minus 2.
My baro/airbox sensor is the same as on some fiat cars.
Makes a lot difference moneywise if you order a Fiat or Ducati sensor, yes I am Dutch :lol:

And this serie of ECU's is also used Guzzi's and MV Agusta, makes you think doesn't it ?
Tris1948
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Tris1948 »

Matt

It runs at cam speed - I thought it was on the Crank - I told you I was on a learning/discovery curve!

Its looked at by a Magneti Marelli SEN813 sensor if that is of relevance

Lav
The Baro sensor in the current set up is the biggest issue in that its signal is taken to the ECU by CAN BUS

SO while I might be able to get the immobiliser eliminated from the ECU the baro sensor would be a problem ...... hence the MS investigations

Cheers

Tris
LAV1000
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LAV1000 »

Tris1948 wrote: Lav
The Baro sensor in the current set up is the biggest issue in that its signal is taken to the ECU by CAN BUS
Tris
There is probably more running on can bus, not only the baro sensor.
ABS somehow connected to canbus ?
Do you need the OEM ecu to run ABS and or canbus ?
Tris1948
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Tris1948 »

Old school this bike - no ABS :)

I'll have a look at the wiring diagram but I think everything else engine wise goes straight to the ECU