1991 Toyota MR2 w/2000 5SFE MS3X

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Zysky
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: 1991 Toyota MR2 w/2000 5SFE MS3X

Post by Zysky »

It's no dial indicator precision check, but I found a machined flat on the oil pump that I could consistently measure off of with a caliper. I consistently measured .015in after pressing the crank back (i.e. Hit pulley with deadblow hammer to seat one end, then pull with screwdriver/push in the clutch to force the other extreme and measure the difference). Factory spec for max thrust is .0118in so I have some excess in thrust.

I fully bled the clutch as well, so I also listened to see if pushing in the clutch made a difference while running, and it becomes noticeably more noisy, instantly stopping once I let off the clutch.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Hmm, we have to think about this for a bit. I suggested that because I once got involved with an MR2 that had 1/8" of crank end-play. It seemed to run OK but caused a clutch problem.
Zysky
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Zysky »

My thoughts are that we are only .003 out of spec. Currently, it is an intermittent noise while running, and noisy with clutch engaged. This was a $100 junkyard engine with ~97k miles that had a new rear main, very clean oil pump, and fairly fresh oil pan gaskets. I assumed it was at the least in reasonable shape... i could drain the oil and look for shavings, and if none are present, then maybe I can work on getting MS set up at least as far as a stable idle and able to move out of the shop.

If enough wear is present in the thrust bearings, the decision changes to engine swap (3SGE or V6 swap) or sell and start on my 95 M3.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

That extra .003" doesn't sound critical to me, either. However, if the noise seems related to the clutch, you may have to go in there to do some visual inspection. Or just turn the radio up louder and ignore the noise for now. When I was a (poor) kid we used to ignore squeaks/chirps all the time; important things like main bearings don't squeak...
Zysky
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Zysky »

I'm content ignoring the noise for now. If it feels like it hurts drive-ability when I finally get this thing off of jack stands then I would feel alright going back in and investigating more knowing that the car can propel itself in some capacity.

With that being said, I need to redo my Innovate LM-2 setup. Currently I have it plugged in to the cigarette lighter which happens to be a on circuit that cuts off during cranking and takes its sweet time coming back on, thus I get no AFRs in the datalogs. I was going to keep the controller up front with me, but I think I need to tie power (and subsequent ground) into the same as MS.

The datalog I posted this morning looks like a happy PRM @ ~650 and 34 kpa MAP. I assume fairly constant PW is a good thing, as I notice it's fluctuations a directly related to MAP fluctuations, which appear inversely related to RPM. Are these fluctuations related to the WUE profile we adjusted earlier, since issues appear to start at about CLT = 80* F?
Zysky
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Zysky »

I finished welding up the exhaust and now have my wideband and TS talking to each other correctly.

My idle is a little more stable now, but once the temperature climbs it becomes erratic and dies. My AFRs also seem very lean, sitting around upper 16s into low 17s, so it would seem I need more fuel at this point.

I have attached my MSL and MSQ in a zip file, please let me know if there are issues opening.
Attachments
Toyota MR2.zip
MSL and MSQ files
(168.47 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
Zysky
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Zysky »

I spent some time reading then playing with the VE table and now have a pretty stable idle with ~13.5 AFR! I can actually give the engine some throttle and rev the engine now, so looks like it’s time to start working with the VE table to get some some of the part throttle AFRs dialed in so I can at least move the car around the driveway.