ms3 ems system vs. ms3pro ultimate on e36 obd-ii

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

logic factory
MS/Extra Newbie

ms3 ems system vs. ms3pro ultimate on e36 obd-ii

Post by logic factory »

hello good sir and possible misses!

i have lots of questions and am in no rush, please take your time and only address those questions you have time for. thank you and live long and prosper!

i am looking back into this option and do not see much difference in terms of features between the two ecu's? i get it one is much cleaner install with its water proofed housing and connections but what else am i missing here? would the ms3 system also include a base map for an oem u.s. s52? i think the ms3 system also can operate the vanos correctly, no?

is one using a quicker cpu? or are ms3's very similar regardless of which box they are placed in?

just for clarification, in my mind, i assume i can spend time with some wiring diagrams and an extra harness and make something that will become a plug and play into this ecu. is my thinking flawed? i am okay with the hours it will take me to do this so long as the end result will approach that of the much more expensive plug and play option which, to my knowledge, has not been released yet for the obd-ii e36.

here is a link so we are on the same page;
http://www.msextra.com/product-range/tr ... asquirt-3/

under optional hardware features it lists, "knock sensor inputs". does one need to spend more money to be able to use oem bmw knock sensors?

thank you again for your time! peace and long life!
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: ms3 ems system vs. ms3pro ultimate on e36 obd-ii

Post by Matt Cramer »

All MS3s have the same processor and same firmware features. The Ultimate, however, adds more I/O as well as peak and hold injector drivers, as well as a lot of little incremental improvements to the power supply, USB circuit, and others to beef up noise resistance. Compared to a standard MS3 V3.0 / V3.57, we have also made some of the features that require add on boards for the original family standard equipment, including the knock detection board and real time clock module.

Except for plug and play systems, MS3s ship with a generic base map.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X