Fan Noise

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

jsdevel
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Fan Noise

Post by jsdevel »

I have a condenser fan and a radiator fan. I've noticed that when I'm at idle, I'll sometimes get resets. No resets at all on the highway or cruising and fans are off.

I'm using Bosch style relays (no built in diode). Would it be beneficial to switch to relays with built in diodes? I'm thinking that the stored potential on the fans are causing quick voltage drops at the battery causing the MS to reset. Is this possible?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
LAV1000
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Fan Noise

Post by LAV1000 »

Build in diode is only there for suppression noise of the relay coil, not the load.
If you think its a voltage issue you could possible see it on a datalog.
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

So there is something fundamentally wrong with either your ECU or the vehicle wiring. I have been following all of your threads and all of the issues you have had and something "just ain't right". I have, built, installed and/or tuned nearly 100 Megasquirt systems on everything from 800cc 3cylinder dune buggies to V12 Jaguars and I have NEVER had a fraction of the issues you are experiencing. I greatly admire your perseverance and don't quit attitude but I truly believe you are overthinking the problem.
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

^^^ agreed

I have found my MS3X (V3.0) to be remarkably immune to electrical noise. Much of my wiring is "wrong", some way different from recommendations, but I have never had any issues at all.
jsdevel
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jsdevel »

Turns out I wasn't using resistor plugs. I swear I checked that like a year ago, and was battling resets during that time. Ugh!

In general though (and because I'm a noob), are fans generally modeled as an inductor in a circuit? And would switching off their power introduce noise back into the system?
LAV1000
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by LAV1000 »

jsdevel wrote:Turns out I wasn't using resistor plugs. I swear I checked that like a year ago, and was battling resets during that time. Ugh!

In general though (and because I'm a noob), are fans generally modeled as an inductor in a circuit? And would switching off their power introduce noise back into the system?
Your not so much a noob as you think :yeah!: