2 sparkplugs per cylinder

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Spiffy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

2 sparkplugs per cylinder

Post by Spiffy »

I have a datsun 4 cyl engine with a 4 plug head, but in the US f.ex some versions where delivered with an 8 plug head, mostly because of pollution requirements but from what I have gathered two plugs gives a faster burn, possibility of igniting leaner mixtures, and less risk of detonation...
And it's that last bit that intrigues me, reducing detonation.
And also i spoke to a guy with a turbocharged corolla gt and he had swapped to an 8 plug head because of more power he said.
So I'm wondering if it's worth it?
Also I have converted from distributor setup to coil on plug setup so I would need four more coils but how would one wire this up? Just tap into the trigger wires on the four excisting coils and supply power and ground?
Drew442
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: 2 sparkplugs per cylinder

Post by Drew442 »

If you're talking about the CA20 almost all other variants, even with smaller displacement made more power in factory trim.

You're better off with the dual cam head with 4 plugs than the single cam head with 8 plugs.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk
Spiffy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Spiffy »

Drew442 wrote:If you're talking about the CA20 almost all other variants, even with smaller displacement made more power in factory trim.

You're better off with the dual cam head with 4 plugs than the single cam head with 8 plugs.

'

No I'm talking about the Z engine, also known as the NAPS-Z engine, I have a Z20E with turbo, and I'm rebuilding a Z24 which I will be putting all the efi stuff on and the turbo.
And if there where some benefits of going with 8 plugs instead of 4 then why not?
goodysgotacuda
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by goodysgotacuda »

All of the HEMIs since 2005 have been dual plug [Hellcat, Demon, etc. included]. There must be something to it for Dodge to spend all that money on it.
1972 Plymouth 'Cuda - 5.7L Hemi w/T56 Magnum

MS3 Gold Box, TunerStudio MS/MegaLogViewerHD user
Drew442
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Drew442 »

My Mercedes with the M113 v8 has 16 total spark plugs. The way that Mercedes have it configured, it looks like a wasted spark coil that does two plugs but there's one circuit to the ECU. So you wouldn't need 4 additional coils, just 4 coils that have two HT plug leads each.

Spiffy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Spiffy »

Yeah I checked with my yaris coils today and I would need coils with ht leads because a coil on plug type coil would be so close to the exhaust manifold it would probably melt, and the nb1 coil on the exhaust side would hit the compressor housing on the turbo

Sent fra min HUAWEI VNS-L31 via Tapatalk
Six_Shooter
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Six_Shooter »

No vendors from extra plugs. The modern dual plug engines use two different kinds of plugs in each cylinder. I don't recall the exact training why, but it's to do with emissions, not power.
Tha Toy: 1973 Datsun 240Z Turbocharged, and loads of fun, now MS'd
Tha Otha Toy: 1923 T-bucket Hot Rod, Currently Sniper'd
Tha Daily: 2005 Chevy Blazer
Tha Summer Daily: 1987 Buick Skyhawk hatchback
Tha Long Term Project: 1985 GMC S-10 Jimmy, hasn't been fun for a while