4 Cylinder Turbo = How to wire Staged Injectors?

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

KDW
MS/Extra Newbie

4 Cylinder Turbo = How to wire Staged Injectors?

Post by KDW »

I have a 4 cylinder engine...planning to go 700 plus HP...so I need my fueling ready. This is for my friend and has no large budget for his project.

Staged injection is new to me so I hope many can help :?
Primary Injectors are 4x 550cc(high impedance) and currently on alternating 2 squirts on MS1( MS2 upgrade is also an option since i have the MS2 processor in stock)....when we swapped in our brandnew Bosch 1680cc with part number 0280150842 light blue tops with resistor pack,...as in the hopes for just using these set of injectors and no staging at all...... we cant tune it right, the engine runs really bad even with maintaining 11.5 AFR(jumping). So we reverted to all 4 550cc's and the engine runs good again

So now im planning to use staged injection...using the 550'c as primary and using the 1680cc's as secondary(will mount the 1680's under the intake manifold

My question is:
=Is there a hope of using only 4x1680cc's(no staged injection)? But Ive read they are bad injectors at idle for a 1800cc engine
=If going staged, how do i wire the 4x 550cc high impedance injectors? all four in parallel connection only to Bank1? and then select simultaneous injection, 1 squirt? will it not overload the transistor driver in megasquirt V2.2? Then the secondary 4 x 1680cc injectors with resistor pack also in parallel connection to bank 2 of megasquirt V2.2? will it also not overload the injector driver transistors in megasquirt V2.2?

Note: Im using a Miata CAS in wasted spark mode(no crank triggers)

Thanks in advance for your inputs :)
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: 4 Cylinder Turbo = How to wire Staged Injectors?

Post by prof315 »

:roll: Seriously? For starters upgrade to an MS2 V3.0 at an absolute minimum. That way you'll have PWM current limiting available for the Low-Zs. Better still use an MS3/3X and use the 3X drivers for primaries and the mainboard drivers for secondaries.
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
KDW
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by KDW »

prof315 wrote::roll: Seriously? For starters upgrade to an MS2 V3.0 at an absolute minimum. That way you'll have PWM current limiting available for the Low-Zs. Better still use an MS3/3X and use the 3X drivers for primaries and the mainboard drivers for secondaries.
MS2 is an option, but MS3..he has no budget for that. Also V3 board ...I also have a on hand stock...so I can also have my friend use it. So if using a MS2 with V3 board...how do i wire the injectors? For the Low z injectors..I already have the resistor pack

Thanks for the input ...
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Section 4.10.3in the Hardware Manual covers this.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
KDW
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by KDW »

jsmcortina wrote:Section 4.10.3in the Hardware Manual covers this.

James
I think I have read that already yesterday, I will double check...as i know some of my questions are not answered there...
I will check again

Thanks...
KDW
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by KDW »

KDW wrote:
jsmcortina wrote:Section 4.10.3in the Hardware Manual covers this.

James
I think I have read that already yesterday, I will double check...as i know some of my questions are not answered there...
I will check again

Thanks...
Ive read that...I just want to confirm these questions: because.....

Q1 = If 4x injectors in a single bank(Bank 1 for all 4x primary high impedance injectors) is installed the resultant total impedance is 3.8 Ohms. Ordinary install is where one injector bank handles only 2x High impedance injectors which results only to 7.2 ohms. So the question is...can a single Injector bank handle a 3.8 ohms load(total impedance of 4pcs high impedance injectors measuring 14 ohms in one injector) Can the injector driver handle this 3.8 Ohms load with out the transistor failing?

Q2 = I need to select "Injector staging" from alternating to simultaneous right? how many squirts?

Many Thanks...
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Yes and yes. And 1 squirt simultaneous is equivalent to 2 squirts alternating.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
KDW
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by KDW »

racingmini_mtl wrote:Yes and yes. And 1 squirt simultaneous is equivalent to 2 squirts alternating.

Jean
Many Thanks :) :D