Fuel pump not priming at ign on

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

masterofmachines
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Fuel pump not priming at ign on

Post by masterofmachines »

I have just finished assembling and installing my ms3 base 3.0pcb (no ms3x) 1.5.1 firmware, and found that the ms3 isn't grounding my fuel pump relay when powered on. It also wont command it on through can/test menu. All other fp wiring is confirmed good. I haven't set up my ignition & trigger settings because cant find how to set my application up. Its a 280zx with the dual optical crank sensor wiring up in basic trigger with single coil using the low res channel only. Could not having the trigger set up cause the fp to not be grounding? Or did I screw something. Lastly, how can I find the info to set up my ign details? Some known good tables would be freaking sweet too to help me get this thing to start.
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Fuel pump not priming at ign on

Post by prof315 »

Did you test the ECU on a stim? Probably a solder bridge on either Q2 or Q19
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
Marek
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Marek »

Additionally, if the resistance between the collector and emitter of q2 are near zero, then the transistor is bad. It is only spec'd for 1amp and if the fuel pump relay has a low impedance then it'll a high current and kill q2.

Most relays have a coil impedance around 60-80ohms and that should be good. Using a relay with a coil impedance of 13-20ohms is not a good idea as q2 will ineviatably fail at some point in the future if it is mismatched against its load.

The ignition a nd trigger etc has no effect on fuel pump output.

kind regards
Marek
masterofmachines
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by masterofmachines »

prof315 wrote:Did you test the ECU on a stim? Probably a solder bridge on either Q2 or Q19
You nailed it! I pulled the board & cleaned up those tiny joints under my transistors & the fuel pump is in business! Thank so much! I think I'm nearing my first start up but am hopelessly lost on the ign settings. I know with this car I want it (going high) but have no clue beyond that. How much mayhem will I cause just kinda trying the default settings?