MicroSquirt (3.3) Questions. Green. CAS & CAM

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

BrokeRabbit
MS/Extra Newbie

MicroSquirt (3.3) Questions. Green. CAS & CAM

Post by BrokeRabbit »

Noob, green, whatever you want to call it, I am IT!

The engine is a VW 16v head mated to a 2L ABA bottom. Microsquirt V3.0 as supplied w. harness from DIYAuto

Regarding the CAS/Engine Speed Sensor.

The ABA engine speed sensors (CAS) has three connections.
  • Red - Sensor ground at ECU (Motronic)
    Green - Sensor signal
    Black - Ground connected at engine compartment and connected to shielding
VR1+ and VR1-. I assume + goes to the original “green” and - goes to the “red”. The question I have is the ground. The shielded grey cable has the wrapping foil and a bare wire. Should this bare wire be connected to the “black” wire from the OEM CAS and should I then run a separate ground wire from there to the chassis? Hazy on this detail since the bare wire is not connected to anything at the harness connection to Microsquirt.

Best practices question. With the VW ABA bottom end, I am using the stock CAS. The OE ring at the crank is a 60-2. Should you start with the 1/4w 10k resistor or is that for truly high revving engines only?

Regarding the CAM position sensor

The VW 16V distributor is the hall/optical trigger type I believe (falling edge). Should that be wired up to VR2+ and - or OPTO+ and -? I’m inclined to say OPTO based on the description in the manual. If that’s the case the damper on the block does not have the convenience of timing marks as demonstrated in the manual. Is there another method?

How does the wiring work since I have:
  • Ground
    Signal to ECU
    Shared voltage supply with injectors, etc
Thanks in advance.
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: MicroSquirt (3.3) Questions. Green. CAS & CAM

Post by prof315 »

Use the ABA crank trigger with a 10K resistor. Don't bother with the 16V distributor it will require mods to use it as a cam sensor and you can't run sequential fuel on a microsquirt anyhow. The ABA 60-2 crank trigger will allow a wasted spark ignition along with semi-sequential fueling. As far as the rest goes :RTFM:
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
BrokeRabbit
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: MicroSquirt (3.3) Questions. Green. CAS & CAM

Post by BrokeRabbit »

prof315 wrote:The ABA 60-2 crank trigger will allow a wasted spark ignition along with semi-sequential fueling. As far as the rest goes :RTFM:
Thanks! I did some research after posting the topic up and landed on wasted spark using a 2L ignition coil I have laying around. Appreciate the help.