what size throttle body for adequate air flow?

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Daryl
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: what size throttle body for adequate air flow?

Post by Daryl »

Why not just match the diameter/area of the intake ports?
Intake ports on my engine are 36mm diameter, I don't see the point in putting 40 or 42 mm itb's, where the flow will be choked off by the port....??
If I put on 36mm itb's, maybe 37 or 38's to allow for restriction of butterfly and throttle shaft (and carefully taper where the two meet), won't that allow for best flow velocity, regardless of engine displacement?
What happens to flow if you use itb's that are smaller than the ports?
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

I have found that with ITBs, it is tough to find air filters that allow enough air flow (no MAP drop at WOT) that will fit in the chassis.

http://www.nbs-stl.com/CrxTypeR/B18C%20Side.jpg

http://www.nbs-stl.com/CRX/Dyno%20Pull%20Graph.png

Andy
Paul_VR6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Paul_VR6 »

In general you want at least 2mm bigger than the port diameter and usually 5mm is what I would use. The further out from the head they are the bigger you want them (the port should taper).

I agree on the filters, thats why those plenum/airboxes exist.
-Paul
1992 Corrado SLC 3.6 VR6 11.38@120 - MS3 Pro Ultimate - Microsquirt I/O - Can EGT - Racepak IQ3s
kptuned.com - Megasquirting the World! Megasquirt Sales, Service, Tuning and More!
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

The problem with plenum air boxes is keeping the ports from effecting each other. The new motor with the throttle response may prove to be a bit of a challange to drive in the pits. We will see.

Andy
Paul_VR6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Paul_VR6 »

Even in open air they effect each other slightly. The bigger the box the less they have an effect on each other.

We did a little experiment with a big hp four cyl and made 5whp across the board by tilting the horns up/down staggered instead of siamesing them. It was wild.
-Paul
1992 Corrado SLC 3.6 VR6 11.38@120 - MS3 Pro Ultimate - Microsquirt I/O - Can EGT - Racepak IQ3s
kptuned.com - Megasquirting the World! Megasquirt Sales, Service, Tuning and More!