Setting up an initial ignition timing table

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

arny528
Helpful MS/Extra'er

AFR table generator perhaps?

Post by arny528 »

I believe it wouldn't be hard to do, it might use a slightly modified VE generator because it would be based on max torque and max power areas and calculate the rest in a similar fashion. Probably some stuff should be entered, like desired AFR's in idle and cruise areas.

Or maybe it could be derived from an existing VE table? Is the VE formula close enough to derive AFR's, or it should be derived by another interpolation method?
Arny
EFI maniac, BMW fanatic
- '84 BMW 528i I oughta squirt...
Leistung Elektronik
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Leistung Elektronik »

lance wrote:
Finally, for boosted engines, you subtract 0.3° of advance for every kPa above 100 (it's not a coincidence that this is the same factor as for the 'vacuum' adjustments). Because 101.3kPa=~14.7psi, this works out to ~2° per pound of boost. It is often the case that you want to limit the retard under boost as well, typically so that it takes out no more than about ½ of the maximum advance at 100 kPa.

Lance.
Hi Lance,
I don´t understand because you substract to much advance degrees when the engine ist under boost. We run a 1.6 L Fiat engine under 30 PSI of boost with 22° final and no detonation. What ist wrong?? Have you considered any CR (9:1 ; 10:1 ; etc) ?
I apreciate your help, because i´m trying to find a simple metod for make a start advance table for boosted engines.

Thanks
Mikymar
Fiat 1.6L Turbo @ 30 psi - MSnS Extra whit CDI
soon Ford 2.5L Turbo
preston
Helpful MS/Extra'er

IAT and timing

Post by preston »

It doesn't appear that MSII can alter timing based on IAT. Isn't this pretty common on the normal aftermarket EFI setups ?

Is anyone working on adding this ? (why or why not ?)

I've heard rule of thumb there is -1 degree per every 10 degrees above 120.
mad max
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by mad max »

Leistung Elektronik wrote:
lance wrote:
Finally, for boosted engines, you subtract 0.3° of advance for every kPa above 100 (it's not a coincidence that this is the same factor as for the 'vacuum' adjustments). Because 101.3kPa=~14.7psi, this works out to ~2° per pound of boost. It is often the case that you want to limit the retard under boost as well, typically so that it takes out no more than about ½ of the maximum advance at 100 kPa.

Lance.
Hi Lance,
I don´t understand because you substract to much advance degrees when the engine ist under boost. We run a 1.6 L Fiat engine under 30 PSI of boost with 22° final and no detonation. What ist wrong?? Have you considered any CR (9:1 ; 10:1 ; etc) ?
I apreciate your help, because i´m trying to find a simple metod for make a start advance table for boosted engines.

Thanks
read this:

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/resources/myths.php
msnse pontiac fiero v6 3.1l
msnse1.6l sohc 16v turbo suzuki samurai
http://www.qcswiftclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3710
msnse1.3l dohc 16v suzuki samurai
ms2extra dohc 16v suzuki samurai
Leistung Elektronik
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Leistung Elektronik »

Thanks, i have read it! But it have no information about CR, timing...just a few words about peak pressure and others.
Have you any information about a site with more specific information.
Mikymar
Fiat 1.6L Turbo @ 30 psi - MSnS Extra whit CDI
soon Ford 2.5L Turbo
burgo90
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by burgo90 »

does anyone know anywhere on the net i can get excel??
TT350chevelle
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by TT350chevelle »

burgo90
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by burgo90 »

yes i downloaded that but its only a viewer so i cant put my own values in to create my own table
Kirk
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Kirk »

burgo90 wrote:yes i downloaded that but its only a viewer so i cant put my own values in to create my own table
Try www.OpenOffice.org. OpenOffice is a free office suite that appears to handle this MS Office spreadsheet.
burgo90
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by burgo90 »

thats awesome thank you very much kirk
burgo90
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by burgo90 »

right after having a play and a read from what i understand below 100kpa has to be more accurate than above. if this is correct then i beleave i am correct in thinking that i should have 6 or 7 kpa points below 100kpa on my spark map??
MiseryQ
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: Hot Rod Lincoln

Post by MiseryQ »

Ferret wrote:Is this formula good for all Megasquirt versions (MSnS, EDIS, Extra...) or just for some of them?
When I paste the results in a MS2 vex it's actual.
Am I doing something wrong or are these for MSNS-E only?
QldRobbo
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by QldRobbo »

I must be missing something....

I'm assuming that 20kpa at 800rpm would be able idle, using the formulas above I get 31 degrees of advance at idle.... shouldn't this be more like 10 degrees?
blk 02
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by blk 02 »

QldRobbo wrote:I must be missing something....

I'm assuming that 20kpa at 800rpm would be able idle, using the formulas above I get 31 degrees of advance at idle.... shouldn't this be more like 10 degrees?
I was wondering the same thing.... Maybe I missed something

Graham
A good friend will come bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "That was ****ing awesome."

89 SWB chevy truck successfully squirted
Black 03 Cobra
68 c-code mustang
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

QldRobbo wrote:I must be missing something....

Try more like 60-80kpa at idle.
The formulas are intended as a good starting point and will never be perfect.
Use whatever advance works on your engine, like you say 10-15 deg is more reasonable for idle.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
edmcguirk
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by edmcguirk »

It seems to me that after you take into account CR, squish, chamber design, etc. the next items affecting advance are VE and turbulence.

It looks like below 3000 RPM the advance would be dictated by the number of milliseconds it takes to build maximum cylinder pressure from the ignition point to optimum peak cylinder pressure which is supposed to be about 15-20 degrees ATDC. That would give your ignition curve a slope downward from the advance at 3000 to the advance at idle.

Your advance is also affected by cylinder pressure so that you are adding "0.3° per 1 kPa drop". I would assume that if your VE is lower, you could use more advance right? Does VE have enough effect to be worth adding to the advance calculation?

On the other hand, above 3000 RPM your advance does not appear to be related to milliseconds to peak cylinder pressure, it appears to be a constant angular advance. I assume that is somehow the result from turbulence in the combustion chamber. Would VE have any effect above 3000 RPM? Like should advance start to rise again as VE falls off?

I like to have my calculations based on physics but I can't seem to understand the underlying rules of ignition advance.

ed
Haste is not speed.
ed
Uncle Bob
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Uncle Bob »

just to add a little data for others, motorcycles seem to run more timing than cars.

In general, a 2 valve per cylinder air cooled engine is usually happiest between 40-45 total timing.

water cooled 4 valve engines are usually between 35-40 total timing.

retarding timing with boost, I'd personally say 2* per psi is an awfully large amount of timing reduction. Assuming you're running 30 total timing, that means you'd max out your timing by 7 psi (15* timing)....if you still had another 13 psi to go, that would be interesting :P

Lot of variables in ignition timing, I realise these are just attempts at getting SOMETHING to work with....
Ryan
ryan.langford@comcast.net

Two turbo'd bikes and counting
"Life begins at 10psi"
fastereddie1011
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by fastereddie1011 »

I threw a timing light on my stock efi chevy truck and it idles at 20 deg btdc. If you rev it up slowly, the timing steadily climbs from 20 up to 36 deg btdc at about 3000-3500 rpm. But if you stab it from an idle it drops from 20 to 5 and then back up to whatever rpm your at so im going to try a map similar and see how it runs.
My drinking team has a racing problem!
1989 ford probe lx. Turbo Fe3 swap
Approx. 300hp courtesy of Msns-extra. Sold the probe to some kid. Now its junk.....

Current project- 83 Chevy K10 w/TPI 383 MS2 ver3 board extra code 3.3.3?
SSDD
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by SSDD »

Hi all can someone tell me what the equivalent of your US:

- regular - subtract 2°
- mid-grade - subtract 1°
- premium - no adjustment

is in Europe, we have here:

Unleaded 98
Unleaded 95
super

the super is lead replacement fuel that is basically unleaded with some sodium additive for older cars that cant use unleaded

Thanks
Steve
Some fools inject drugs, why when you can inject fuel, its much more fun