Crank, but no start!

Questions specific to Megatune. (Only about the tuning software, not about MS1/MS2 code or code features)
Note that Megatune is obsolete.
95eclipseSlow
MS/Extra Newbie

Crank, but no start!

Post by 95eclipseSlow »

I just finished installing ms. I went to start my car and it will not start all it will do is crank. What settings do i need in constants,enrichments and ve table just to get the car to idle? The car is a 1995 mitsubishi eclipse 420a motor. I have 450cc injectors. What do i need to do to make this car start?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Crank, but no start!

Post by Matt Cramer »

You'll need to check this out systematically. First make sure your cranking timing is accurate, then pull the spark plugs and see if it's flooding the engine.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
95eclipseSlow
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 95eclipseSlow »

well i tested for spark and i was not getting any. I was trying to run megatune on windows vista and when you do that you dont get code functions nor do you get spark options. I have megatune opened now on a virtual pc has xp as its operating system and i have the spark options and evrything now. Tomorrow morning im going to try it out with the spark options and see what happens.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Sounds like you had it configured for standard Bowling & Grippo code on the Vista box.
95eclipseSlow
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 95eclipseSlow »

i am running windows xp on a virtual pc called vmware. It has the usb option and everything but i have tried every com number and i cannot get the ms to connect to it. I tried connecting the ms to vista and it connects right up. I go back to xp and it will not connect. How do i make it connect to virtual pc xp os system?
95eclipseSlow
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 95eclipseSlow »

Ok this is my situation, i have a laptop that has windows vista. When using megatune on vista there is no spark option and my car gets no spark at all from it when ms is connected to vista. I downloaded microsoft virtual pc 2007 and then found out that it didnt have a usb device function so i uninstalled it and downloaded vmware which is a different virtual machine that supports usb devices. I loaded my windows xp home editon to vmware and then downloaded megatune and viola there was the spark and code output settings. Next i tried to connect the virtual machine xp to the ms and i cannot get communication. I tried com1 through com99 and i got no response for all of them.When i switch back to vista the ms connects right to it off of com5. I tried switch usb ports and eveything and i cannot get it to connect when using the virtual pc xp. How did you get your ms connected to your virtual pc xp? Please tell me what program you are using and anything and everything you did to make it work. This is what is holding my car back from starting.

Vinnie
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

95eclipseSlow wrote:Ok this is my situation, i have a laptop that has windows vista. When using megatune on vista there is no spark option and my car gets no spark at all from it when ms is connected to vista. I downloaded microsoft virtual pc 2007 and then found out that it didnt have a usb device function so i uninstalled it and downloaded vmware which is a different virtual machine that supports usb devices. I loaded my windows xp home editon to vmware and then downloaded megatune and viola there was the spark and code output settings. Next i tried to connect the virtual machine xp to the ms and i cannot get communication. I tried com1 through com99 and i got no response for all of them.When i switch back to vista the ms connects right to it off of com5. I tried switch usb ports and eveything and i cannot get it to connect when using the virtual pc xp. How did you get your ms connected to your virtual pc xp? Please tell me what program you are using and anything and everything you did to make it work. This is what is holding my car back from starting.

Vinnie
Have you run the configurator yet? Regardless of platform, Megatune needs to be configured to work with MSNSExtra or MS2Extra.
http://www.msextra.com/manuals/MS_Extra ... tm#ms_more should give you an idea of what I mean.

What firmware is in the box?
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
60-2 Wheel LS2 Coils, Low Z Inj
Co-Driver 1999 BMW E46 DSP car.
95eclipseSlow
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 95eclipseSlow »

I bought my ms unit from symtech labs. It is configured for 420a specific. The link you sent me seemed irrelevant to what my problem is. If megatune wasn't working with my ms unit then wouldnt it not work in vista too?
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

95eclipseSlow wrote:I bought my ms unit from symtech labs. It is configured for 420a specific. The link you sent me seemed irrelevant to what my problem is. If megatune wasn't working with my ms unit then wouldnt it not work in vista too?

If you don't see the menu options for spark, Megatune is not using the correct ini file.

You didn't answer my question: what firmware version are you running in the Megasquirt box?
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
95eclipseSlow
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 95eclipseSlow »

im trying to find out which firmware version i have. I configured megatune for vista now i can see the spark options. I went to connect my laptop to my car and it wouldnt connect. I set the code variant to msns_extra and it would not connect. I then tried setting the code variant to ms_1 and it connected to the ms unit right away. I need to use msns_extra because it has spark while ms_1 does not. How do i get msns_extra to connect to my ms unit. Step by step please.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

First, find out what firmware you have in there. Try running the portcheck.exe program and see if it says it's Bowling & Grippo code or MS1/Extra. Post the result here.
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

Slightly OT, but is there a place in the MS1Extra manuals that documents setting up Megatune?
I know it by 'muscle memory' from doing so many.

I looked briefly but didn't see it. I'd like to be able to point this gentleman to an accepted writeup on the subject

I can probably contribute something but would rather not reinvent the wheel, so to speak.
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
95eclipseSlow
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 95eclipseSlow »

alright i configured megatune to windows vista and got megatune connected to my ms unit everything connects and works now. My car will still not start though :cry: What do i do?
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

95eclipseSlow wrote:alright i configured megatune to windows vista and got megatune connected to my ms unit everything connects and works now. My car will still not start though :cry: What do i do?
Post msq (file->save as) and datalog of starting attempt.
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
95eclipseSlow
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 95eclipseSlow »

i tested for spark and once again im not getting any. I am going to just start with fuel on MS and use the stock ignition with the stock ecu for now until i get my fuel figured out. I really really need a base map to start with. I have 450cc injectors and a 420a Eclipse. I really need a 450cc injector base fuel map.
95eclipseSlow
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 95eclipseSlow »

i plugged the stock ecu back in and wired the stock wires to the coil and im getting spark now but the car still will not start.
95eclipseSlow
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 95eclipseSlow »

i sprayed some starting fluid in the intake and it started for a sec until it burned up all the starting fluid, this means that i am not getting any fuel at all. The injectors arent spraying at all but the fuel pump is priming. I checked the injector power source and it is getting power. What could be causing them not to spray fuel?
combatsapph
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by combatsapph »

What could be causing them not to spray fuel?
Are the earths connected to the ECU?

I really think you need to go back and read the manuals from start to finish.