Slow burning to ECU

Questions specific to Megatune. (Only about the tuning software, not about MS1/MS2 code or code features)
Note that Megatune is obsolete.
Martijnus
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Slow burning to ECU

Post by Martijnus »

Today I used my MSII extra for the first time, and I noticed how much more time it takes to burn my msq file to the ECU. On my previous (B&G) MSII unit it was quite fast... but now it takes almost 10seconds.

Is that normal? If so, how is it caused?
[s]Porsche 924 ITB to be squirted...[/s] Successfully squirted the 924 (2008), crashed it on the Nordschleife (2010), trying again on a new 924 (2014).
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Slow burning to ECU

Post by racingmini_mtl »

That's normal. That's due to the way the parameters are stored in memory and their much higher number in MS2/Extra.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

By the way, this will only be that long when burning a full msq. For single page burning, it will be much faster.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
Martijnus
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Martijnus »

Thanks!
I noticed page burning is as fast as before (as far as I can see) so that's not a problem.
Nice to know why it's caused :)
[s]Porsche 924 ITB to be squirted...[/s] Successfully squirted the 924 (2008), crashed it on the Nordschleife (2010), trying again on a new 924 (2014).
pit_celica
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by pit_celica »

hi, I've noticed this too, but for me it take a lot more time than that. For a complete .msq burn-in, it takes 40-50 seconds. Is there something I can do to increase the speed or burning in the ECU.

I'm using MS2Extra v2.1.0, MS2 V3.0 board, Toshiba w/Intel Centrino Vista, RS232 to USB adapter. Is there a setting somewhere in the COM ports tools that I can change?

Let me know

Sam
M30guy
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by M30guy »

You should try tunerstudio.
It only burns what has changed so it's burns much faster.
Correct me if I'm wrong. :?:
Ms2-3.4.2 v3.0 .
Turbo BMW m30b35.
kritip
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by kritip »

Indeed, TS is optimused to only burn changed values.
Constantly evolving;
4 cylinder n/a, 16v 1368cc Fiat Seicento
xr2wishy
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by xr2wishy »

i've not really used tuner studio yet, but with MT burning a full msq takes minutes for me, mainly down to the slow laptop and usb to serial device i suspect.
i may use TS to burn future maps now, as it's really slowing down the mapping to the point where i just put up with defects till i can be bothered and have alot of time.