Megatune wont connect

Questions specific to Megatune. (Only about the tuning software, not about MS1/MS2 code or code features)
Note that Megatune is obsolete.
SRCobra
MS/Extra Newbie

Megatune wont connect

Post by SRCobra »

Hi,
Old user returning(cobrascim previously). Couldn't activate old username as I probably have different email address)
I was using megatune 2.25 to tune my cobra replica but haven't been able to use it for a couple of years now. The last I used it i dropped the old computer and had to transfer all my files onto a new computer. Since then it wont connect. Cobra has been running well enough so I've just left it, but since running a couple of times at a RWYB I know it could be quicker.
I also have megatune 220 with MS&S for my old scimitar MS1 v2.2 on the same computer and it works fine(so at least I know the cable and port etc work).
I cant quite remember which firmware I put into the MS1 v3 board. I have been copying each of the .ini files into the C/Programfiles/megasquirt/car1/mtcfg and trying to connect it and cant.
I have several folders containing megatune 2.25 and have tried varying ones to no avail. I am using the one that seems to have the correct things set in settings.ini - set for correct code variant, idle controller etc.

I realise MT is old now and Tunerstudio is on the go.
Does Tunerstudio connect automatically if I went for it? Or is there any other folders I should be moving into the Megasquirt folder to make it work?
I cant understand why or how things may have moved around when transferred onto the other computer.

John.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Megatune wont connect

Post by Matt Cramer »

Yes, TunerStudio will auto-detect the firmware. Much easier.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
SRCobra
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by SRCobra »

Thanks Matt.
About time I upgraded the old v2.2 in the Scimitar to ms extra as well.
Regards.
John.
SRCobra
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by SRCobra »

Tried connecting to tunerstudio registered edition using my win7 laptop and usb to serial adapter but didnt work.
Tried using my older laptop with serial lead only and didnt work either,
I was sure my MS1 v3 board was using 029T firmware so it should've picked it up.
Even tried manually loading rather than detect.
I have now bought a couple of different usb to serial converters and will try tomorrow again.
I was wondering whether the rs232 chip maybe down? conitnuity checked from pins in to the chip and it is ok.
John.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Have you tried using the Port Check program?
SRCobra
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by SRCobra »

Hi Matt,
Using portcheck found my usb to serial on COM4 as 2 controllers but the firmware came up as unknown. Selecting either asks me to select firmware from what was provided.
Unfortunately I put the firmware in approx 2006 and was sure it was 029T but I can only find other versions of 029 in the several folders I got off my old computers hard drive.
I still have my last saved files from tuning using megatune 2.25 but i feel I'm going to have to reload firmware and then use the old files to put the settings in manually.
John.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Please post a screen shot of what Port Check finds.
SRCobra
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by SRCobra »

Hi Matt,
Decided to use port check on my older computer (with XP on it) and serial lead\and no connection made with either 115200 or 9600 baud. 1 valid port found though.
My newer computer uses Win 7 and needs the usb to serial adapter which I think causes problems.
Will try and get a screen shot up tomorrow.
Regards.
John.
SRCobra
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by SRCobra »

Matt,
Just to keep you up to date.
I reflashed my old Scimitar MS1 v2.2 with MSextra 029Y and had no problems using TS on my older machine with it.

I have tried to reflash and fully reload to my Cobra MS1 v3board but it failed every time.
There is obviously a problem on the board itself. I have found a diagnostic description to check through and that is my next port of call.
Magnifying glass, continuity meter etc at the ready. Hopefully I can find something easy to fix - might even be the 232 chip itself.
Cobra still runs OK as it doesn't dump the old values off during the re-instal.

Regards.
John.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Try reloading the firmware using the boot jumper. If you get an error there, please post a screen shot.
SRCobra
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by SRCobra »

Hi Matt,

I did try several times with the boot jumper in place (switched in switch on the MS1v3) after it wouldn't re-flash.
With Portcheck connected to this MS I only get no connection made after it tries 115200 and 9600 baud on the COM 1.

Regards.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

So, did it load the firmware, or give you an error message? If you got an error message, please post a screen shot of the error message you received while loading firmware.
SRCobra
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by SRCobra »

Took photo on my phone that I could upload. Tried to screenshot it on the old machine but didn't go into notepad at the time.
Anyhow it basically went through steps 1 to 4. Turn on Megasquirt

then as follows

Press any key to continue. . .

This should count up to 1750+ lines
src\download.exe -c1 msns-extra.s19
MS Download 1.10
Download failed:
Expected response "
Boot>",
but received this "".
Press any key to continue . . .
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Did you have the boot jumper in place? If so, make sure you have 5 volts on VREF with the key on.
SRCobra
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by SRCobra »

Hi Matt,
Checked Vref on pin 31 of main processor and got that OK and it was still there with bottloader switch on.
Have done all the continuity checks as per the troubleshoot guide and it is looking more and more like the 232 itself.
You will have seen my other post on the subject in MS1 support probably also.
Regards.
John.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

This could be the MAX232 or the processor. Try removing the processor, bridging pins 12 to 13 on the CPU socket, and doing a loopback test. If it fails, replace the MAX232 - if it passes, replace the processor.
SRCobra
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by SRCobra »

Thanks Matt.
Had done the pin 12/13 thing as given in a link in my other post and it failed.
It was a good tip and now points to the 232 chip so I'm going to get one tomorrow. I may even decide to put a socket in place in case it happens again.
Regards,
John.
SRCobra
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by SRCobra »

Yippee! Cobra speaks again!
Replaced the 232 chip and TS automatically picked up my 029q firmware and EDIS ignition.
Can start some proper tuning now.
Thanks for your help Matt.
Off to start reading the TS manuals and have some fun learning again and getting a good tune.
John.