having trouble with the new megatune and firmware

All Megasquirt 1 support questions. See also the Documentation

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

myjadezxt
MS/Extra Newbie

having trouble with the new megatune and firmware

Post by myjadezxt »

I'm currently running the Extra021u3 firmware on my MS, and it is partially tuned. I'm trying to download the megatune on my new laptop, but all i can find is this new 2.25 final version or something, and you can't just change the settings to read the "extra" firmware?

I was also considering upgrading to the new firmware since it has some better options.

Problems:

0) I can't find the old megatune so that I can read the MS ECU!!! Can I do it somehow with the new megatune??

1) How do I get the current settings/fuelmaps/sparkmaps off the megasquirt now to back it up?

2) Will I lose all the tuning if I upgrade the firmware?

3) Should I just find the old megatune and just tune with that??
md95
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: having trouble with the new megatune and firmware

Post by md95 »

myjadezxt wrote:I'm currently running the Extra021u3 firmware on my MS, and it is partially tuned. I'm trying to download the megatune on my new laptop, but all i can find is this new 2.25 final version or something, and you can't just change the settings to read the "extra" firmware?

I was also considering upgrading to the new firmware since it has some better options.

Problems:

0) I can't find the old megatune so that I can read the MS ECU!!! Can I do it somehow with the new megatune??
You want to get the release version of Megatune. Its the 2.25 version. Use this with the new stable firmware code 029q2. You "should" be able to "read" the old code using the MT configurator, it has the ini file for the 021 series of code in it, and then you can create a new .msq file to transfer to the new code, if you wish to use the new 029q2 code. The Megatune configurator is a software program that has many of the stable code's extra.ini files in it, so you can "activate" that particular firmware version with MT, using the program, so you dont need that old MT version you are looking for. Once you open the MT configurator program, read the help files on how to use it. Basically, the release version of MT 2.25, is compatible with the older firmware codes. The MT configurator program makes is easy to activate whatever firmware code you want to use with megatune. Hope this makes sense..
myjadezxt wrote:
1) How do I get the current settings/fuelmaps/sparkmaps off the megasquirt now to back it up?
Once you install the release version of MT, and run the configurator program, activate the 021 code series. Then, connect your MS, and open up MT, and it should read your MS and all its stored settings. Then, to back it up, click file, then save as, and name your new .msq file.
myjadezxt wrote:
2) Will I lose all the tuning if I upgrade the firmware?

No you shouldn't, but you will see many new features and settings from 021u3 to 029q2. I would go through each and every setting and double check EVERYTHING. This is very important. If you decide to upgrade to 029q2, first save a fresh .msq file for your current settings. Run MT(after you have configured it to read the 021 code), and then click file, then save as, and name your new .msq file. Now once you have downloaded the new code to your MS, configure MT to read the 029q2 code by using the extra.ini file in the 029q2 zip file, then open up MT, power up your MS, and then hit file, open, then find your saved .msq from 021 code. You may get a error message or two, but burn that to your MS, then go through all your settings to verify them. Once you are all done, file, save as, and name your .msq file. Now you have a new 029q2 msq file.
myjadezxt wrote:
3) Should I just find the old megatune and just tune with that??
You will gain many nice features if you upgrade to the latest MT and 029q2 firmware. If you still have the old MT version .exe install file on your old computer, you can find that, copy it to a cd-r, then use that to install on your laptop, or by means of a network transfer between computers, if you know how to do that... Hope this helps you a bit anyway.
-Matt-
1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS 420A Turbo- MS2 Extra- 2.1.0 Release
1992 Plymouth Laser RS 4g63 AWD Turbo MS2 Extra- 3.0.3s
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

If you REALLY need the old Megatune, I do have copies of some of the old installers. Drop me a PM.

Before upgrading your firmware make SURE that you have saved your settings or you will lose them all.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
myjadezxt
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by myjadezxt »

thanks a bunch guys... I was able to connect with the new Megatune software and change a couple of things. From here I will backup the current setting and use the new firmware.

I need ot reinstal the boot jumper in order to install the firmware correct?

Now all I have to figure out is why the car dies on a cold start... it'll run for about 3 seconds then die or sputter for about 3 sec and repeat.. I think someone asked the question already and got an answer about if the enrichmenbts were right, and I know mine are.. so I'm stuck from there.

I'm not sure how to tune the ASE (After start enrichment??)
myjadezxt
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by myjadezxt »

myjadezxt wrote: Now all I have to figure out is why the car dies on a cold start... it'll run for about 3 seconds then die or sputter for about 3 sec and repeat.. I think someone asked the question already and got an answer about if the enrichmenbts were right, and I know mine are.. so I'm stuck from there.

I'm not sure how to tune the ASE (After start enrichment??)
Well what do you know.. my ASE is 0% and 0 cycles.. maybe I should change that :)