MSII PCB3 vw ABA. 60-2 trigger wheel- distributorless

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

atrujillo1991
MS/Extra Newbie

MSII PCB3 vw ABA. 60-2 trigger wheel- distributorless

Post by atrujillo1991 »

Alright so here it goes...

First of all, I would like to use a MSD 6a (considering I have an extra) and I was wondering what, exactly, I needed to do to run distributor-less with my 6a. What coil should I match it with? Do I need to run a system like EDIS with the 6a or can I run the 6a alone?

Secondly, what are the advantages to running a trigger wheel? From what I understand, I need one to run distriburtor-less.

And third, I'd like to use the OEM trigger wheel and sensor. It's a 60-2 wheel and a little bit of info can be found below but it's not too clear.

http://www.msefi.com/viewtopic...art=0

Thanks in advance =)

I've got this in the MSEFI forum and the VWvortex forums and I'm not having much luck. HOPEFULLY someone here can help me :D
16VABAT with ITB's and an MSII
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

You'd need one 6A per coil, unless you're running an MSD DIS box instead of the 6As. MS2/Extra can trigger a wasted spark system off your stock trigger wheel. You'll want to go through the manual here:

http://www.msextra.com/ms2extra/

Pay particular attention to the sections on missing tooth wheels, MSD output, and wasted spark.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
atrujillo1991
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by atrujillo1991 »

Okay, cool. Thanks. Are there any advantages to using something like the DIS system or disadvantages to running wasted spark (other than shortened plug life.)

I'm so confused.

What about a GM DIS system?
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

One disadvantage in using a GMDIS system over the stock wheel is that you'd have to source a GMDIS module and mount the special trigger wheel.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
atrujillo1991
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by atrujillo1991 »

Thanks James.

I guess I sould have been a little more specific... sorry.

Would I be able to use a GM DIS system with MY triggerwheel with MSIIEX?

Cheers.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

atrujillo1991 wrote:Thanks James.

I guess I sould have been a little more specific... sorry.

Would I be able to use a GM DIS system with MY triggerwheel with MSIIEX?

Cheers.
No. The GMDIS *must* use the specific 7 tooth trigger wheel and will not understand any other input. You could use GMDIS coils without the module, though.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
atrujillo1991
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by atrujillo1991 »

So...

I can use GM coils in conjunction with my 60-2 crank sensor without a distributor?

Haha sorry, I'm confused
hassmaschine
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by hassmaschine »

atrujillo1991 wrote:So...

I can use GM coils in conjunction with my 60-2 crank sensor without a distributor?

Haha sorry, I'm confused
yep!

AFAIK you need one coil driver for every 2 cylinders/coil pack, and run wasted spark. so if you had a 4 cyl, you would need 2 VB921 channels and 2 sets of GM coil packs (each set drives 2 cylinders), on a 6 cyl. you would add 1 VB921 and another coil.

it's actually very simple! :)
atrujillo1991
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by atrujillo1991 »

hassmaschine wrote:
atrujillo1991 wrote:So...

Haha sorry, I'm confused
yep!

AFAIK you need one coil driver for every 2 cylinders/coil pack, and run wasted spark. so if you had a 4 cyl, you would need 2 VB921 channels and 2 sets of GM coil packs (each set drives 2 cylinders), on a 6 cyl. you would add 1 VB921 and another coil.

it's actually very simple! :)
Sweet. I have two already :-D. I was thinking about getting some MSD GM style coils paks though.

Is wasted spark worth avoiding or are the disadvantages worth the simplicity of it all?
sportage4x4
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by sportage4x4 »

disadvantages compared to what? the only disadvantage on the 4 cylinder would be versus coil on plug, where you eliminate the plug wires. otherwise there are no disadvantages, especially if your engine already has an easily supported trigger wheel
1990 Mazda Miata: GM Gen3 V8 swap, 4.8L, custom cam, 2x GT2860R turbos, MS3 + MS3X.
2003 Kia Rio wagon: Mazda B6T/G25MR swap, Miata CAS, IHI RHF5 @ 2bar, LSx truck coils, P&H board, boost control.
atrujillo1991
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by atrujillo1991 »

The only disadvantage I've read about asfar as wasted spark is cocerned is that the life of certian ignition components (plugs) is shortened.
sportage4x4
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by sportage4x4 »

plug life shortened? hardly. thats one of those myths thats grown out of the "well it fires twice as often" condition. the wasted spark is fired across an easily bridged gap and as such causes little to no additional wear on the electrodes.
1990 Mazda Miata: GM Gen3 V8 swap, 4.8L, custom cam, 2x GT2860R turbos, MS3 + MS3X.
2003 Kia Rio wagon: Mazda B6T/G25MR swap, Miata CAS, IHI RHF5 @ 2bar, LSx truck coils, P&H board, boost control.