Cold start issues

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

SiGmA_X
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Cold start issues

Post by SiGmA_X »

Hey guys,

I am running a MS1v3 board with Extra 29y5 code, and have recently been having a really, really bad cold start issue. It should be noted I am using 3 spark waste-spark, and stock M50tu coil packs (93 325is)

On Sunday, I was able to start the car cold, with a couple plug cleanings. Using the same settings on Monday, with the same ambient temp, the car would not start. What can I do to dial in my cold start settings? Trying multiple cranking MS's doesn't help, nothing seemed to help at all tonight. Yesterday, playing with the MS of on time for cranking helped a good deal. I'm kind of at a loss, as it *should* be working.

Thank you very much,

Roman
'93 BMW 325iS - Rebuilt M50 w/ 0.140" HG (~8.9:1 w/ head/block decking), Custom turbo system T3/T4 .63 .50, Megasquirt v3.57 MSnS-II/Extra
arnold
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by arnold »

THere is quiet detailed info in the megamanual. But what do you have, nothing, starting and dying, ...

If ypu spark and fuel and the timing is OK, it should start. Only change ONE thing at the time.
Supercharged Austin Healey Sprite, Intercooler, spark control
MS1, MT2.25, extra code 029t
http://www.kmnet.demon.co.uk/arnold/
ahmed_mmm
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by ahmed_mmm »

you have to adjust the more cranking stuff ,after start enrichment options
SiGmA_X
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by SiGmA_X »

Thanks guys! Last night I did check the Megamanual, and its pretty useless as to HOW to get it starting when you have issues, it mostly covers post starting cold adjustments. I do have spark and fuel, and the timing is perfect - verified by timing light. What confuses me the most is that no matter what I change it won't start, as well as it will not start with the same exact settings as I used previously, in the same exact weather conditions.
'93 BMW 325iS - Rebuilt M50 w/ 0.140" HG (~8.9:1 w/ head/block decking), Custom turbo system T3/T4 .63 .50, Megasquirt v3.57 MSnS-II/Extra
SiGmA_X
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by SiGmA_X »

Anyone have some advice for where to start making adjustments? It really sucks to have to pull the plugs all the time, and it still not start, as a plug R&R is like 30min on my car (Was, its like 10 now.)
panel
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by panel »

You posted this in the ignition section? Sounds like you said it's not a timing thing though?
I do have spark and fuel, and the timing is perfect - verified by timing light.
'65 VW Bus with a Subaru EJ20 Turbo conversion , Air to water I/C , LS coils , 14Point7 Spartan 2 & Solid Air Fuel Ratio 52mm gauge.
MS2 Extra V3.0 board
SiGmA_X
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by SiGmA_X »

Yes I posted it in ignition, I guess I forgot to say that it ate a VB921 last Monday also.

Tonight I gave it another go, and got it to start! For about 15sec, maybe. I stopped and smelled the Megasquirt, and went to check it out. Blew the same VB921 as last week, the one for cyl2 off of bank B. Would a single bad coil cause this? Previously I was running too much dwell, and maybe it damaged the coils?

Any input at all would be awesome, I need to stop blowing VB921's and be able to actually run the car!