Evo 550cc 2005 injector settings...?

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

AbeFM
Super MS/Extra'er

Evo 550cc 2005 injector settings...?

Post by AbeFM »

Just got some low impedance injectors from a Lancer Evo - and I want the settings for them, like how much to cut current back, etc.

Anyone know this? Thanks!
2000 VVT Miata turbo, MS3Pro

Contact me if interested in a MS-II 2nd gen NB Miata PnP board.
gross polluter
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by gross polluter »

600us @ 14.0v opening time.
88 RX-7 TII - MS2 Extra 1.0.2
68 Mustang 351C - MS3X
88 Volvo 245 - 2JZGTE VVTi powered, MS3X + MSGPIO Mshift controlled
AbeFM
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by AbeFM »

Thanks Nick. Any idea what to limit the current to? That's what I'm really worried about.

Oh, and they are 560s. :-)

Guess I'll use this from the MegaManual:

To run low-impedance injectors with the PWM current limit mode, you need to set two parameters - the "PWM Current Limit (%)" and the "PWM Time Threshold (ms)" - both are on the “Constants” page. The current limit % is the percent duty cycle when the current limit is invoked. The time threshold is the amount of time from when the injector is first opened until the current limit is activated.

Start with:
PWM Time Threshold = 1.0 millisecond, and
PWM Current Limit (%) =
30% on a V3 or V3.57 main board (if you have the active flyback circuit installed).
30% on a V2.2 main board (if you have the separate flyback board installed).
75% on a V2.2 main board (if you do not have the separate flyback board installed).
Once you get your engine idling, then first adjust the PWM duty cycle down in 1% increments until you notice a change in idle quality (be sure to hit the "send to ECU" button each time you change the value). This is the point where the current limit is too much and the injectors are not being held fully open.
Then move the value back up 3 - 5% (for example, if the idle falters at 45%, then put in a number of 48% to 50%).
Move on to adjusting the time threshold. Lower the time threshold by 0.1 milliseconds at a time until the idle quality deteriorates.
Then increase it 0.3 ms.
Now, repeat these steps (starting at #2). Adjust the duty cycle and time threshold alternately to get the optimum values for your set-up. You will converge on a set of numbers that work well for your set-up.

AbeFM
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by AbeFM »

So, I got out on the road, and the car was fine, but nothing I did could keep it from getting super-duper lean at high RPM. About 3-4k it would start falling off, and even with a HUGE step in the VE table, it was lean.

Set the % back to ten, and it's better.

So now I'm stuck not knowing what to get it for, or how to tell. I kinda doubt all the numbers in there, is there some way to characterize this?? I can shoot gas into a jar, weigh it - I can put things on an oscilliscope, I can copy down known good numbers someone has.....

I'm still a little confused how 0% of current flow keeps the injectors open enough to idle. Maybe it's all in the opening time being too long, and the "injection" is zero at that point. Maybe I should set the delay a lot shorter, too?

sheek
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by sheek »

buddy i was trying to figure out the optimum current settings and i gave up and just wired in some resistors and used 100% problems solved.
AbeFM
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by AbeFM »

Things got a lot stranger, setting them for 0% still let them run fine, though it was a little shakey at top end. Not sure what to make of that.

gross polluter
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by gross polluter »

Can't say for evo injectors, but my stock FC injectors were happy at 30%.
88 RX-7 TII - MS2 Extra 1.0.2
68 Mustang 351C - MS3X
88 Volvo 245 - 2JZGTE VVTi powered, MS3X + MSGPIO Mshift controlled
dcg9381
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by dcg9381 »

AbeFM wrote:Things got a lot stranger, setting them for 0% still let them run fine, though it was a little shakey at top end. Not sure what to make of that.
Might post up a photo of the log.
I encountered a lot of variable AFR at the top end of my 2.4L turbo - turns out the map pressure gets a little jagged and was kicking in accel/decel.
Currently running: (SnSE 029v MT 2.25 )
1981 Toyota truck, draw-through, supercharged (GM TBI) - fuel only
1988 Toyota 4runner, 22RE plug-and-play integration MSnSE
1988 toyota 4runner, 22re turbo MSnSE
1988 Toyota 4runner, 2rz turbo in-progress... http://www.2rzturbo.net/
chris_brathwaite
MS/Extra Newbie

Re:

Post by chris_brathwaite »

AbeFM wrote:So, I got out on the road, and the car was fine, but nothing I did could keep it from getting super-duper lean at high RPM. About 3-4k it would start falling off, and even with a HUGE step in the VE table, it was lean.

Set the % back to ten, and it's better.

So now I'm stuck not knowing what to get it for, or how to tell. I kinda doubt all the numbers in there, is there some way to characterize this?? I can shoot gas into a jar, weigh it - I can put things on an oscilliscope, I can copy down known good numbers someone has.....

I'm still a little confused how 0% of current flow keeps the injectors open enough to idle. Maybe it's all in the opening time being too long, and the "injection" is zero at that point. Maybe I should set the delay a lot shorter, too?

what what done to solve this problem?