Ruggedized ECU

A forum for discussing the MegaSquirt related (but non-B&G) board development, assembly, installation, and testing.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Ruggedized ECU

Post by racingmini_mtl »

I have been thinking about making an ECU based on the Microsquirt module and the latest MS2/Extra code which would be a dedicated 4-cylinder ECU and have sequential injection and ignition and as many extra options as possible that the module I/Os will allow (second O2 sensor, baro correction, boost control, others?). There would be 4 injector drivers (peak&hold standard or optional, not yet certain) and 4 ignition drivers (high current or logic level).

Since there has been a request for it, this would be put in a ruggedized enclosure (http://www.cinch.com/products/transport ... -enclosure). While this may be somewhat more expensive, it does provide an automotive connector and the needed heatsinks and does protect all the electronics in a sealed box.

I am also considering an option which would add an internal data logger and add additional I/Os which could include a stepper motor IAC controller.

What I would like to know is if this is something that would interest people here. I still need to do quite a bit of work to know exactly how this will fit together. If I can get interest from a sufficient number of people (here and on a couple of different forums) I'll make this.

There is a thread on my forum on this (http://forum.jbperf.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=50) so it might be more appropriate to ask questions or make comments there but I think it would be ok to mention your interest here.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
chango de naranjito
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: Ruggedized ECU

Post by chango de naranjito »

racingmini_mtl wrote:I have been thinking about making an ECU based on the Microsquirt module and the latest MS2/Extra code which would be a dedicated 4-cylinder ECU and have sequential injection and ignition and as many extra options as possible that the module I/Os will allow (second O2 sensor, baro correction, boost control, others?). There would be 4 injector drivers (peak&hold standard or optional, not yet certain) and 4 ignition drivers (high current or logic level).

Since there has been a request for it, this would be put in a ruggedized enclosure (http://www.cinch.com/products/transport ... -enclosure). While this may be somewhat more expensive, it does provide an automotive connector and the needed heatsinks and does protect all the electronics in a sealed box.

I am also considering an option which would add an internal data logger and add additional I/Os which could include a stepper motor IAC controller.

What I would like to know is if this is something that would interest people here. I still need to do quite a bit of work to know exactly how this will fit together. If I can get interest from a sufficient number of people (here and on a couple of different forums) I'll make this.

There is a thread on my forum on this (http://forum.jbperf.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=50) so it might be more appropriate to ask questions or make comments there but I think it would be ok to mention your interest here.

Jean
I whant 3!!!!!!
Frank Racing,Naranjito Puerto Rico,installations and tuning solutions
FrankRacing.Naranjito@gmail.com
Zaphod
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Zaphod »

Isn't that what the DIYPNP is?
--------------------------------
fun is not a straight line

Sven
http://www.mx-5club-sachsen.de
http://miata.cardomain.com/id/svenmx5
NB-1998-1,6-Garrett T25 HGP Turbo Stage I
elaw
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elaw »

Wow, that looks really nice!

Question: why base this on MS2 and not MS3?
Eric Law
1990 Audi 80 quattro with AAN turbo engine: happily running on MS3+MS3X
2012 Audi A4 quattro, desperately in need of tweaking

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Zaphod wrote:Isn't that what the DIYPNP is?
The DIYPNP uses the Microsquirt module but the case is not designed for a rugged use and it uses a connector specific to certain applications (there are options for this and likely more are coming). Also, there is no provision for the additional functions I'm proposing (additional I/Os and data logging) that would require an additional module.

The goal here is to have a generic ECU that does not require (or offer) a DIY assembly and which offers additional functions together with a case that has an automotive rated connector and is protected against the environment (up to a point). So it would be a ready-to-use box that would be usable in as many applications as possible but would require a custom wiring harness (like many aftermarket ECUs). So it would be neither DIY nor PNP. But that doesn't preclude making PNP adapters for some applications at some point.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
chango de naranjito
Master MS/Extra'er

any update on this?
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

There has been little progress on this. I have had some discussions about this with a potential partner but that's about it.

Jean
chango de naranjito
Master MS/Extra'er

racingmini_mtl wrote:There has been little progress on this. I have had some discussions about this with a potential partner but that's about it.

Jean
please the customers need something like that here in Puerto Rico will be a best seller!!!!! we may not have money for the rent,but for racing we have plenty .....

please go ahead with this Im sure it will sell perfect.
esv
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by esv »

Hi

Any update?

Really hope this one will be available!

esv
chango de naranjito
Master MS/Extra'er

yea any update?
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Nothing new, sorry.

The main issue is that the Cinch box requires specialized tools to close and open. So there would be no easy way to have configurable hardware options (either through jumpers or DIP switches). And to cover most of the inputs (sensors) and outputs (injectors, ignition, idle valves, ...) there would either need to be some hardware configuration or a bunch of connector pins used only for some setups. However, the Cinch box doesn't make it possible due to not being easy to open or close and due to the somewhat limited number of connector pins (at least for the redundant options setup).

And having each box configured before sending it to the customer is not a practical solution because it requires way too much handling and the customer would be stuck with a box that only works with one setup (unless returned to be reconfigured).

So the options are to have some restrictions on what the box is compatible with or change the enclosure/connector to make it more user-friendly. I prefer the second solution but then that also means that I have to find a sealed alternative or have a less rugged product. It would be good to know what people see as being the top priorities: ruggedness, automotive connector, compatibility with most OEM hardware/sensors, easy configurability, full-featured,...

Jean
h22
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by h22 »

racingmini_mtl wrote:Nothing new, sorry.

The main issue is that the Cinch box requires specialized tools to close and open. So there would be no easy way to have configurable hardware options (either through jumpers or DIP switches). And to cover most of the inputs (sensors) and outputs (injectors, ignition, idle valves, ...) there would either need to be some hardware configuration or a bunch of connector pins used only for some setups. However, the Cinch box doesn't make it possible due to not being easy to open or close and due to the somewhat limited number of connector pins (at least for the redundant options setup).

And having each box configured before sending it to the customer is not a practical solution because it requires way too much handling and the customer would be stuck with a box that only works with one setup (unless returned to be reconfigured).

So the options are to have some restrictions on what the box is compatible with or change the enclosure/connector to make it more user-friendly. I prefer the second solution but then that also means that I have to find a sealed alternative or have a less rugged product. It would be good to know what people see as being the top priorities: ruggedness, automotive connector, compatibility with most OEM hardware/sensors, easy configurability, full-featured,...

Jean

Hmmm, that is a problem. I remember looking at those cases years ago. But I was a bit put off by the price.
With the MS3 & MS3x coming, it would be cool if there were an enclosure that could be made to hold the MS3, MS3x and V3.0 board, and used two of the AMPseal connectors (microsquirt, GPIO) with the connectors being set up up the long side of the board. There are waterproof cases that accept a 6" wide board, would just need to get some end plates CNC'ed.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Actually, the price is not that bad. If you compare the cost of a couple of Ampseal connectors and a sealed case to the cost of a Cinch case, I'm not sure which one will be cheaper.

And I may have a solution for the fact that the box can't be opened by the user. I'll have to dig deeper into this but there might be a way to have the configuration done in the firmware (with some additional hardware). Since I plan on having an additional CPU to take care of the additional features (kind of a mini I/O Extender), the configuration could be stored in the EEPROM or flash of that CPU.

And I agree that having an MS3/MS3X solution would be good (and I think there are plans for that by some), the MS2/Extra on the Microsquirt module solution is still an attractive one that will be perfect for a lot of setups and should be cheaper.

Jean
h22
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by h22 »

THe smaller connectors I was thinking about are from JAE, they have a ton of stuff, pretty sure that is where DIYAutotune gets their stuff for the PNP boards.

The ones I was looking at are the MX23 series, http://jae-connector.com/en/general_en.cfm very small sealed connectors. Only rated at 3 amps per pin, but still a viable alternative to the dual DB37 MS3 set up.

They offer larger pitch stuff as well if two connectors were needed, one for singnal wires and one for power wires. but the MX23 stuff is .100 cenrters, so making an adapter board for the micro module & possibly a header adapter for the MS3 would not require a huge board.

joe
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

There is an update and you can read more about it here: http://forum.jbperf.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=776. Basically there will be a very small initial run (6-8 units) to gauge interest and as a proof of concept. What happens after that will depend on the interest. The feature list has intentionally been kept somewhat small to speed up development, keep the cost low (hopefully) and maintain a relatively small footprint.

Jean
VolvoGuy50
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by VolvoGuy50 »

racingmini_mtl wrote:There is an update and you can read more about it here: http://forum.jbperf.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=776. Basically there will be a very small initial run (6-8 units) to gauge interest and as a proof of concept. What happens after that will depend on the interest. The feature list has intentionally been kept somewhat small to speed up development, keep the cost low (hopefully) and maintain a relatively small footprint.

Jean
Do you have any guesses on price range?
1992 Volvo 740 Wagon - Beater Car...CAI, 16T, catback, MS3/MS3X, & HID's
1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD - Daily Driver...RAI, Big 16g, 3" TBE, HID's, etc.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

VolvoGuy50 wrote:Do you have any guesses on price range?
Probably around $500.

Jean
VolvoGuy50
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by VolvoGuy50 »

racingmini_mtl wrote:
VolvoGuy50 wrote:Do you have any guesses on price range?
Probably around $500.

Jean
:shock: Sounds pretty good!
1992 Volvo 740 Wagon - Beater Car...CAI, 16T, catback, MS3/MS3X, & HID's
1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD - Daily Driver...RAI, Big 16g, 3" TBE, HID's, etc.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

I have made significant progress on this and I have posted the details here: http://forum.jbperf.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 3503#p3503.

Jean
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

A quick update: http://forum.jbperf.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&p=3694#p3693.

I have almost everything so I should have the first unit running soon. Here are a few pictures. The board is not fully assembled and the module is just there for trial fitting.

Jean