USB datalogger

A forum for discussing the MegaSquirt related (but non-B&G) board development, assembly, installation, and testing.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: USB datalogger

Post by Peter Florance »

Huey wrote:
Peter Florance wrote:oops, how do I set time and date?
Move dip switch_1 to setting mode and connect your PC. Run Hyperterminal or the parallax serial terminal program at the same baud rate that is set with dip switch_2. Hit any key and a screen should pop up with all available settings. You may have to switch SW4 to swap transmit and receive on the serial port.

Huey
Thanks Huey
I'll try that.

I got a *.FRD file to save, but TunerStudio does not seem to like to convert it. Not sure I had decent MSQ (3.03s) loaded (desktop PC) so I'll try it again.
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
60-2 Wheel LS2 Coils, Low Z Inj
Co-Driver 1999 BMW E46 DSP car.
Huey
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Huey »

Make sure you have the correct project and MSQ loaded and you may even want to do some data logging with Tuner Studio just to verify. Tuner Studio needs this information to do a correct conversion. It looks at things like your inc files and the byte count during the conversion.
Dodge 2.2L MPI Turbo Power Running MSnS1/Extra.
Chevrolet 5.3 LM7 running MSnS2 /Extra
Chevrolet Twin Cam 4 cyl running MSnS2 / Extra
Home of the USB data logger---> http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 67&t=34901
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

Huey wrote:Make sure you have the correct project and MSQ loaded and you may even want to do some data logging with Tuner Studio just to verify. Tuner Studio needs this information to do a correct conversion. It looks at things like your inc files and the byte count during the conversion.
Well it generated quite a bit of interest at the MegaMeeting. I was sorry I wasn't able to get the frd conversion to work. Phil Tobin is looking at the generated file (3.03s) to see what the problem is.

I also couldn't get it to work on Myk's 3.03r installation. Same conversion issue. Phil got further in windows but I'm not exactly sure what he did. At that point they were chasing us out of the assembly plant and I lost track of Phil.

Sometimes it would lock up; I think that was from my choice of regulators (old stock LM340T-5). :x I'll bench it and scope it. :RTFM:

Regardless, Bruce and many others were impressed.

I'll get it sorted out and post a video.
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
Huey
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Huey »

I'm currently working on a new firmware version 0.1.1b.

Changes include:

Working auto logging feature.

Communication time out added.
If a comm time out occurs the last complete record will be saved and the current log file will automatically be closed. If auto logging is active
it will then attempt to reestablish communications and when successful will start a new log file.

Dip switch_3 now in use for auto logging on/off so a PC connection is not necessary to turn on/off.

Easier to read setup screen.

Added Signature MS2Extra Rel 3.0.3s

If Phil finds any problems with the FRD log file I will work on corrections for it. The easiest way I found to check the FRD format was to run Megasquirt with a stimulator, capture a log file with Tuner Studio in FRD format, capture a file with the data logger, and compare the files with XVI32 a free hex editor.

Huey
Home of the USB data logger---> http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 67&t=34901
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

awesome
Please let me know when I can try it.

Thanks!!
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

seems like 303s and 303r will crash and lock it up after a short period of time (30 seconds or less).

MS1 doesn't seem to cause this. I'll try with a 2.1 variant this weekend

Thanks!
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
Huey
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Huey »

You might try changing the read delay to see if it helps. The default setting is 5ms. The logger also logs faster if the VDIP1 baud rate is set to 115200 instead of the default 9600 that its shipped with. You have to upgrade the VDIP1 firmware by loading it onto a memory stick. I can email the upgraded version I'm currently running or you can read about it here ------> http://www.vinculum.com and create the file yourself if you want. 303r seamed to work OK for me and was running the VDIP1 at 115200. Don't forget to change the settings on the logger to match the settings on the VDIP1 after the upgrade. What are the LED's doing when its locked up? Hope this helps.

Edit:
The idea here is if MSII is running at 115200 and the logger is running at 9600 a buffer overflow will occur. This really shouldn't be a problem but maybe I missed something.

Thanks, Huey
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

Huey wrote:You might try changing the read delay to see if it helps. The default setting is 5ms. The logger also logs faster if the VDIP1 baud rate is set to 115200 instead of the default 9600 that its shipped with. You have to upgrade the VDIP1 firmware by loading it onto a memory stick. I can email the upgraded version I'm currently running or you can read about it here ------> http://www.vinculum.com and create the file yourself if you want. 303r seamed to work OK for me and was running the VDIP1 at 115200. Don't forget to change the settings on the logger to match the settings on the VDIP1 after the upgrade. What are the LED's doing when its locked up? Hope this helps.

Edit:
The idea here is if MSII is running at 115200 and the logger is running at 9600 a buffer overflow will occur. This really shouldn't be a problem but maybe I missed something.

Thanks, Huey

Thanks Huey
I keep forgetting there's a datasheet for the VDIP1. I'll check it out and see what it looks like when it freezes. When it does, the L switch no longer works.

I think I'm fuzzy on the settings performed using the serial; in hyperterminal it seems to scroll off in large menu blocks. Works better with the serial utility they came with the Propeller software. So if I'm connecting to both MS1 and MS2 units, I should leave the VDIP1 in 115200?

Do I want VDAP firmware?

Thanks!
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
Huey
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Huey »

The easiest thing to do would be, let me email a file to you that will upgrade the VDIP1.

Here is how it is done:
1) Put the file in the root directory on the USB stick using your PC.
2) Plug the USB stick into the logger while the power is off.
3)Turn on the power and wait for the VDIPI activity LED's to stop plus 30 seconds to make sure.
4) Power it back down.
5) Put the memory stick back in your PC and delete the upgrade file (This step prevents the logger from trying to upgrade every time it is powered up).

Your VDIP1 will communicate at 115200 now so be sure to change the settings on the logger to match.

I would attach the files to this post if I could.
Anyone who wants this file can send me a private message with there email address.

Huey
carlej
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by carlej »

Hello,
Many, many, many, kudus to you for your logger.
Today was the first time I used it on my pulling tractor, it worked fantastic.
This is the first time I have been able to see what was going on when I
pulled at events.
Before everything was done by seat of your pants.
This is great, I love it.

Thank You

CarlJ
Huey
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Huey »

Thats great, Glad to see it worked out.

Huey
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

Thanks Huey for the updated VDIP firmware
It was also important to set the VDIP to 115200; now it seems to work very well on both MS1 and MS2

I can only seem to get clean serial operation with the Parallax serial program.
Is there a terminal emulation in Hyperterminal that will work to give a steady menu?

Thanks for the great product, Huey!
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
Huey
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Huey »

Just got back off vacation sorry for the delayed reply. The next firmware version will include improvements for Hyperterminal and a better screen layout.

Huey
Huey
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Huey »

New firmware version 0.1.1b is now available :D

Revision: 0.1.1b

1) Fixed auto logging feature and made it selectable via dip sw_3.

2) Fixed user signature feature.

3) Removed bug that caused file marking to overwrite part of the next data record when pushing the mark button.

4) Added Hyperterminal support when adjusting configuration settings(Set "Echo typed characters locally" to on).

5) Made configuration menu more user friendly.

6) Added signature string MS2Extra Rel 3.0.3s

7) Added communications timout. If a comm time out occurs the last complete record will be saved and the current
log file will automatically be closed. If auto logging is active it will then attempt to reestablish communications
and when successful will start a new log file.

Send me your email with the subject "Firmware 0.1.1b" if you want to give it a try.
acbauza
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by acbauza »

Hey,

I am new to MS and I have a ms1extra029y4 on my E30 BMW and really found a need to datalog while on the track. Am I reading correctly that you have a small logger that plugs into the serial port?

If so how much?

Thanks,
Anthony
Anthony
90 325i sdn MS1Extra029y4 PnP
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

Huey wrote:New firmware version 0.1.1b is now available :D

Revision: 0.1.1b

1) Fixed auto logging feature and made it selectable via dip sw_3.

2) Fixed user signature feature.

3) Removed bug that caused file marking to overwrite part of the next data record when pushing the mark button.

4) Added Hyperterminal support when adjusting configuration settings(Set "Echo typed characters locally" to on).

5) Made configuration menu more user friendly.

6) Added signature string MS2Extra Rel 3.0.3s

7) Added communications timout. If a comm time out occurs the last complete record will be saved and the current
log file will automatically be closed. If auto logging is active it will then attempt to reestablish communications
and when successful will start a new log file.

Send me your email with the subject "Firmware 0.1.1b" if you want to give it a try.
Thanks Huey
The Hyperteminal looks much better.

I'll do a datalog and let you know how it works
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
turbo355
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by turbo355 »

Peter Florance wrote:Thanks Huey for the updated VDIP firmware
It was also important to set the VDIP to 115200; now it seems to work very well on both MS1 and MS2

I can only seem to get clean serial operation with the Parallax serial program.
Is there a terminal emulation in Hyperterminal that will work to give a steady menu?

Thanks for the great product, Huey!
Got my board assembled, and it logs MS1extra fine, but not MS2 3.0.3h, was changing VDIP1's baud rate all it took to make 3.0.3 to work?
2000 Suzuki Hayabusa turbo MS3 beta testing Plug and Play standalone

http://interfacepnp.webs.com/
http://www.youtube.com/Busams
Huey
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Huey »

The data logger does not recognize the 303h signature. You will need to enter it as a "user signature string" by connecting to a PC and using hyperterminal. You will also need to set dip switch_1 to on for configuration settings and maybe SW4 to swap the tx rx lines when connected to the PC. There is a alternate way written in a earlier post on this same thread.

Thanks, Huey
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

Turbo355, I followed Huey's instructions on how to add 3.03s to the unit and it worked great. I did have to set the VDIP to 115200 to get it to work with MS2.

If you are going through that effort, consider upgrading to 3.03u; there are a lot of fixes (ASE timer bug is a big one)
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
turbo355
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by turbo355 »

Working great now !!!

Im a little slow but i got it working with all my boxes.
2000 Suzuki Hayabusa turbo MS3 beta testing Plug and Play standalone

http://interfacepnp.webs.com/
http://www.youtube.com/Busams