Microsquirt/MS2 based transmission controller

'Microsquirt' Transmission Control development and support.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

jsmcortina
Site Admin

Re: Microsquirt/MS2 based transmission controller

Post by jsmcortina »

The GPIO version has only just appeared and is in beta test. I don't know how that testing is going or whether you can buy one.

The code used here (info in the MSEXTRA manual) is working on a number of 4L80E installs for sure and can be used on a MS2/V3, Microsquirt or likely GPIO board.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
radiogareth
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by radiogareth »

OK, thanks James, that is what I needed to know. I have a MS V3 kit that I bought from Bill a few months ago that will do the job and an earlier V2 that came via a circuituetous route from Phil, ready built. That one can run the engine.

I'm making up an adaptor for my N* similar to Elliots idea, using the ford 36-1 ring on the front pulley. However, the front pulley is not keyed to the crank in the N*, so I'm welding it to the large retaining washer under the crank nose bolt. This gets done up to about 120 Ft/Lbs so is unlikely to move once set up.
Did you reverese your intake manifold on the N* you used on MS, or test run it as-is? Any other handy tips??

Thanks

Gareth
UnaClocker
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by UnaClocker »

jsmcortina wrote:The GPIO version has only just appeared and is in beta test. I don't know how that testing is going or whether you can buy one.

The code used here (info in the MSEXTRA manual) is working on a number of 4L80E installs for sure and can be used on a MS2/V3, Microsquirt or likely GPIO board.

James
Actually, the GPIO has been on sale on DIYAuto tune for months, at least since March or so, maybe as early as last December.. Time flies.. I have one, got it back when they were sold only as partial kits. Now they are sold as a whole kit.
I downloaded your code to have a look at it. Looks simple enough, but not quite universal for use on other automatics. I need a way to define my shifter sensor, and which solenoids to engage to get which gear. And the PWM/duty cycle settings for those solenoids. It seems like these sorts of things are probably in the code, hardcoded right now..? Would it be possible to get a version that puts those settings up in the interface so I can configure them? I'm wanting to use it with the Chrysler 41te/A604, which Dodge used in just about all of it's FWD vehicles from 1989 onward (or was it '93? anyways...). It'd be a great trans to support. :)
Brian
'84 Dodge Rampage
UnaClocker
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by UnaClocker »

I was browsing through the source, trying to determine how to jumper my CPU pins on the GPIO.. I see in trans_init.c there's a list of the CPU pins, and their function.. I see AN0-7 in that list, but not on the GPIO.. I'm pretty sure that's the same as the AD0-7 on the GPIO. Anyone know for sure?
On the GPIO, I have the PWM1,2,3,4 built with TIP122's to control my 4 solenoids. I have GPI1 built as an ADC circuit with a 1k pullup to read my multiplexed shifter, though from what I can tell, the code doesn't support this yet. I just need a way to indicate what ADC value to expect for each gear position. GPI2 is built the same, I plan to multiplex the horn wire for the paddle shifter.
I built VR1 and VR2, my trans has an input and and output speed sensor, both are VR sensors.
GPI4 is the brake sense circuit. I was going to build the temp input circuit, but the temp sense wire on my trans seems to be open, no sensor. Strange.. And I don't have a pressure sensor or pressure control solenoid.
Brian
'84 Dodge Rampage
UnaClocker
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by UnaClocker »

Ok.. I found at least one error in the code..

Code: Select all

else if ((flash4.setting1 & 0x3) == 3) {
		// GPIO - these pins aren't yet verified, copied Microsquirt for now
  		TIOS |= 0x0E; // Timer ch 0,2 = IC, ch 1-4 = OC & PWM,
                   // ch 6,7 = I/O output
     	DDRT = 0x0E;// PT1,PT2,PT3 are outputs, others are inputs or unused
     	TCTL3 = 0x00; // no captures on these timers
     	TCTL4 = 0x01; // TC0 capture on rising edge
     	TIE = 0x01;   // enable IC interrupts on TC0
    	TSCR1 = 0x80; // turn timer on
        ATD0DIEN = 0x8b; // digi inputs on PTAD7,3,1,0 for brake SW, SWA,B,C 
        DDRAD = 0; // all inputs
        PERAD = 0x0b; // enable pull devices
        PPSAD = 0;  // all pullup
        // Set up EPC and TCC PWM outputs - PWM2, 3
        // 3-2 solenoid PWM1
        MODRR = 0x0e;     // Make Port T pins 1,3,4 be PWM
This is in trans_init.c, this is the GPIO section.. At the top there, it says it was copied from MicroSquirt.. So that last line there.. I was trying to get my head around it. It says it makes Port T pins 1,3,4 be PWM.. But to do that, it should be 0x1A, not 0x0e. 0x0e would be pins 1,2,3.. I'd like to make it pins 1,2,3,4 since the Chrysler trans has 4 solenoids, so that'd be 0x1e, right?
Not saying I can actually pull this off, but I do like to learn. :RTFM:
Brian
'84 Dodge Rampage
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Brian,
I'm willing to take a look at the code and see what can be done.

Did you get chance to collate the 41TE information ? Having it all together and summarised gives me the best chance to get up to speed quickly.
Specifically
-trans internal wiring
-no. solenoids, function and current draw
-control methods

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

UnaClocker
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by UnaClocker »

Yeah, I got your 4l80e spreadsheet, I can replace all the 4l80 info with the Chrysler info. I think I have everything you need in the wiki, but will be more than happy to put it in a spreadsheet form if that will help you out. :)
Brian
'84 Dodge Rampage
UnaClocker
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by UnaClocker »

Do you have an official name for this firmware? Other than "transmission controller".. I've been referring to it at MicroTrans.. Just curious what to say I'm using... "GPIO based transmission controller" just seems so long winded.. ;)
Brian
'84 Dodge Rampage
radiogareth
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by radiogareth »

MegaTrans???

ShiftKlick?? (if you end up with paddles)

Now got a (second) whole N* with FWD transmission (4T80-E) that might juts end up in a rwd mid/rear engined piece of madness :yeah!:

It's good to plan ahead.....

Gareth
Tjabo
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Tjabo »

Someone said "JimTrans" and I think that has a nice ring to it! :D

Or "JimShift"?
--'98 Dodge Neon ACR Turbo - MS3 beta test car - Sold
--'97 BMW 540i/6spd - Single Front/Top Mount Turbo 550+ HP - MS3+MS3X V3.0 - Sold but ripping in Vegas
--'97 BMW 328i 5.3 L33/TH400 Swapped drift car - MS3+MS3X V3.0 Full Sequential - Turbos And Radiator In the Trunk 9.6@144 on a 1.55 60ft
gurov
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by gurov »

did i miss the download link, is there a copy of the latest source ?

i've got a need to control a 5 speed GM trans (5l40e) in my AWD bmw. My plan right now (and on the bench) is to modify megashift code on to suit my needs and test on jackstands in the garage, but if there's an alternative code, i'd like to take a look at it, perhaps even convert a v2.2 board with ms2 and some extra circuitry for use with this code.
2020 BMW X3M - bm3 - stage1
1994 Supra - ms3pnp pro - j&s
UnaClocker
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by UnaClocker »

hehehe, I was wondering if you'd find this project, I saw your posts in the GPIO forum.. I can't post there because I mentioned the IO-Extender too many times.. Ha! heh.. Anyways, there's a link a couple pages back, but I'll just link you right there: http://www.msextra.com/doc/trans/index.html That'll link you to the official version, the versions past that have experimental support for the Chrysler trans and GPIO, I'm not sure if James is ready to release that out to everyone yet.
We need a JimTrans section on the MSExtra forum, seems to be the summer of the electronic automatic. :yeah!:
Brian
'84 Dodge Rampage
gurov
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by gurov »

UnaClocker wrote:hehehe, I was wondering if you'd find this project, I saw your posts in the GPIO forum.. I can't post there because I mentioned the IO-Extender too many times.. Ha! heh.. Anyways, there's a link a couple pages back, but I'll just link you right there: http://www.msextra.com/doc/trans/index.html That'll link you to the official version, the versions past that have experimental support for the Chrysler trans and GPIO, I'm not sure if James is ready to release that out to everyone yet.
We need a JimTrans section on the MSExtra forum, seems to be the summer of the electronic automatic. :yeah!:
now that I have the actual docs for the trans and know how the d*** thing operates, I can begin writing the code.i will give this version a look to see if it would be easier to modify.

I do have some spare ms2s now that I upgraded all the cars to ms3
UnaClocker
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by UnaClocker »

The great thing about James's code is that it's written for GCC rather than Codewarrior, so there's twice as much flash memory available to the program, which means you can do more with the firmware. I know Lance said in several threads on his forum that his code is out of flash space as it is. (The free version of codewarrior is limitted to half the flash available on the MS2 CPU)
Brian
'84 Dodge Rampage
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

And using the same trick as what is done in MS2/Extra, you can double the memory once more (128k).

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
gurov
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by gurov »

UnaClocker wrote:The great thing about James's code is that it's written for GCC rather than Codewarrior, so there's twice as much flash memory available to the program, which means you can do more with the firmware. I know Lance said in several threads on his forum that his code is out of flash space as it is. (The free version of codewarrior is limitted to half the flash available on the MS2 CPU)
Oh, sweet. I'm not a huge fan of codewarrior setup, so I will def give this a shot.

All I have to do is add one more gear, add two digital inputs, get rid of pwm on 3rd solenoid, and make manual mode selection be based off a switch. Is there input shaft rpm input in james' code ?

Oh, I will also need to set output pin to on during shifts to signal ms3 to set overboost to a diff level or mapswich to a retarded ign map.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Gurov,
take a look at the current source, but before you start hacking away, grab the latest version from me. I've been working on it somewhat for the 41TE and made a number of changes that could be useful. e.g. more abstraction on the output ports and pins.

James

gurov
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by gurov »

jsmcortina wrote:Gurov,
take a look at the current source, but before you start hacking away, grab the latest version from me. I've been working on it somewhat for the 41TE and made a number of changes that could be useful. e.g. more abstraction on the output ports and pins.

James
neat. i'll do that, if you want to send me a copy via email(ggurov@gmail.com), unless there's a cvs/svn for this somewhere.

the 5l40e is used in a bunch of cars, including turbo solstice, saturn sky, x3, x5, some 5 series and other bimmers and some other aftermarket controllers i found were "coming real soon now"
UnaClocker
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by UnaClocker »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krL6v1h6jog Video of me driving around on James's current firmware. :) I could drive the car anywhere as is, just some minor glitches and several features I need, and it'll be rockin.
Brian
'84 Dodge Rampage
Tjabo
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Tjabo »

Looking REAL good!
--'98 Dodge Neon ACR Turbo - MS3 beta test car - Sold
--'97 BMW 540i/6spd - Single Front/Top Mount Turbo 550+ HP - MS3+MS3X V3.0 - Sold but ripping in Vegas
--'97 BMW 328i 5.3 L33/TH400 Swapped drift car - MS3+MS3X V3.0 Full Sequential - Turbos And Radiator In the Trunk 9.6@144 on a 1.55 60ft