USB Replacement Connector for DB9 MS1 , MS2

A forum for discussing the MegaSquirt related (but non-B&G) board development, assembly, installation, and testing.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

jkxr4ti
Helpful MS/Extra'er

USB Replacement Connector for DB9 MS1 , MS2

Post by jkxr4ti »

Mods feel free to move this as I really wasnt sure where the best place to list this information was.

I found this neat little device from FTDI today, maybe some of you have seen it. Its a USB-DB9 adapter that is self contained in a DB9 size/pinout package. Its powered directly from the USB port so it looks like it would install without rewiring the MS PCB to an internal adapter. Looks like it will be available at the end of june for $20 USD

http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/Evalua ... B9-USB.htm
http://www.ftdichip.com/Documents/DataS ... -RS232.pdf
Jeremy Kemp

88 Merkur XR4Ti, MS2 V3, FW3.3.2, TFI Coil Control, EEC-IV adapter, Deka 80LB HiZ injectors, VAG N75 Boost Control Valve.
Poolside
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: USB Replacement Connector for DB9 MS1 , MS2

Post by Poolside »

What a great idea for the 'legacy' RS232 products in the world.

- Jim
gurov
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by gurov »

ordered two of these yesterday, seems like they're out of stock until end of june.
2020 BMW X3M - bm3 - stage1
1994 Supra - ms3pnp pro - j&s
jkxr4ti
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jkxr4ti »

They are in production but wont be shipping till the end of June from the article. I'm planning on ordering one myself. I'll post with my results and please share yours as well. It will be nice not to have that usb-serial adapter kicking around in the car.
Jeremy Kemp

88 Merkur XR4Ti, MS2 V3, FW3.3.2, TFI Coil Control, EEC-IV adapter, Deka 80LB HiZ injectors, VAG N75 Boost Control Valve.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

We've got a few samples on order too.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Reverant
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Reverant »

I think this is a very bad idea. You are commiting yourself to a very specific converter that may or may not work properly with your laptop. I even had problems on a specific laptop with DIY's converter (I have two of them) but said laptop does not have a problem with a Prolific converter.

Dimitris
The man behind MS Labs
2005 Audi A3 2.0L TFSI DSG AWD - Extreme MS3
2002 Mazda Miata 1.8 6sp - Enhanced MS3 1.4.0, sequential injection, sequential ignition, big turbo, lots of boost
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

I disagree.
The MS3 uses the FTDI chipset for its on-board USB/serial implementation. Surely if nearly everyone is using the same chipset and driver we might be able to build a bigger knowledge base and learn what drivers and settings are stable.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
jkxr4ti
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jkxr4ti »

Glad to know that the FTDI chipset is already known to work with at least one MS variant.

FYI, Digikey has added these numbers to their catalog and they retail for $22 each from them. I gave them a call this morning and they do have some on order through FTDI. The Digikey customer Rep is going to get back to me and let me know when they will arrive at their place.
Mouser sells FTDI parts as well so it's a good bet that we will have at least 2 distributors for these in the US.

Update: Digikey sent me a quote and let me know that they plan to have these on hand by the end of August.
Their part number is 768-1063-ND this is for the DB9F connector like whats on the MS1 and MS2

If you order one direct from FTDI it will be ~35 USD
Jeremy Kemp

jkxr4ti
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jkxr4ti »

Got confirmation today that mine shipped from FTDI. I'll update when I have it installed.
Jeremy Kemp

jkxr4ti
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jkxr4ti »

Well mine arrived this week. Looks good, just have to install and test now. Anyone else tried theirs yet?
Jeremy Kemp

gurov
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by gurov »

i've got an MS2extra box with 2.2 pcb here that i installed one of these things in. works like a charm.
jkxr4ti
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jkxr4ti »

I was hoping to get mine installed already but my car is up on stands getting a new Rad and intercooler.

Glad to hear it worked well for you. Mine is MS1 V2.2
Have you tried flashing firmware with this new usb unit yet? I have heard the MS2 is a little picky in that respect.

Part of my plan for this type of connection was to have a USB memory stick, the LC1, and the MS all from the same USB port through a USB hub. That way whichever computer I am tuning with it will only require 1 connection and power.

Thanks for posting your success!
Jeremy Kemp

gurov
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by gurov »

jkxr4ti wrote:I was hoping to get mine installed already but my car is up on stands getting a new Rad and intercooler.

Glad to hear it worked well for you. Mine is MS1 V2.2
Have you tried flashing firmware with this new usb unit yet? I have heard the MS2 is a little picky in that respect.

Part of my plan for this type of connection was to have a USB memory stick, the LC1, and the MS all from the same USB port through a USB hub. That way whichever computer I am tuning with it will only require 1 connection and power.

Thanks for posting your success!
oooh... interesting idea with the usb hub there. to go further, this could get built into the ms box with an autorun, ts, project, logs etc, on the USB stick...

i've not tried to flash firmware yet on that box, it just so happens that the ms2 i put into the 2.2 board had code on it from previous vehicles so it just worked.

i do like the idea of this usb stick inside the MS for storage of the .ini, and dash/etc. hell... set it up with a live linux distro on it, connect laptop, boot off usb for a somewhat foolproof tuning tool. mayhaps i will try this, at least with the usb-based linux distro.
jkxr4ti
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jkxr4ti »

i do like the idea of this usb stick inside the MS for storage of the .ini, and dash/etc. hell... set it up with a live linux distro on it, connect laptop, boot off usb for a somewhat foolproof tuning tool. mayhaps i will try this, at least with the usb-based linux distro.
I like where your headed with this idea. You could share tune locations between the linux boot and if you wanted a full boot with windows. That would greatly simplify setting up a PC stripped down to run quicker. Unfortunately my current carputer doesnt support boot from USB.
I wasnt actually thinking of the usb hardware in the case, more just in the dash next to the MS. If there is room inside the case that does seem like reasonable option though.

Great ideas there.
Jeremy Kemp

gurov
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by gurov »

jkxr4ti wrote:
I like where your headed with this idea. You could share tune locations between the linux boot and if you wanted a full boot with windows. That would greatly simplify setting up a PC stripped down to run quicker. Unfortunately my current carputer doesnt support boot from USB.
I wasnt actually thinking of the usb hardware in the case, more just in the dash next to the MS. If there is room inside the case that does seem like reasonable option though.

Great ideas there.
the MS3 case is pretty big, so it could fit into that. i remove my ms units from cars often enough and go between enough computers that putting everything inside would make sense, just so i don't have to haul around extra parts/cables/etc