WARNING - Glen's Garage CLOSED

A general forum and a place for initial or prospective users. See Manuals/Documentation
Click here to enter
Contact a Forum Administrator
If unsure where to post, post in this sub-forum.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Dohc Rocks
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: WARNING - Glen's Garage CLOSED

Post by Dohc Rocks »

Man this sucks...

RS-Autosport made the best harnesses ever....

They had wires in every cavity on the DB37.

I think perhaps maybe DIY should step up and sell a harness like the RS-Autosport did.

They included:

- SPR 1-4
- 5 extra 20 gauge ground wires for sensors and the like
- 14 gauge power feed and ground wire for a fuel pump install
- 14 gauge power wire - general purpose
- more wires I forget off hand

Although DIY is the best overall retailer out there, I think they are falling short on the harness kits.
Paul_VR6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Paul_VR6 »

Glen still has and can get them.. though I appreciate your hesitance to order.

I'll be making new ones like that in the next month or two they'll be available for MS1/2/3 and 3x.
-Paul
1992 Corrado SLC 3.6 VR6 11.38@120 - MS3 Pro Ultimate - Microsquirt I/O - Can EGT - Racepak IQ3s
kptuned.com - Megasquirting the World! Megasquirt Sales, Service, Tuning and More!
Dohc Rocks
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Dohc Rocks »

Well how do we contact Glen if he doesn't respond to his store email or the forums ?
Paul_VR6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Paul_VR6 »

It can't be that he only emails me back...
-Paul
1992 Corrado SLC 3.6 VR6 11.38@120 - MS3 Pro Ultimate - Microsquirt I/O - Can EGT - Racepak IQ3s
kptuned.com - Megasquirting the World! Megasquirt Sales, Service, Tuning and More!
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Paul_VR6 wrote:It can't be that he only emails me back...
Could be !

Glen is invited to post here if he wishes to publicly explain his situation to customers. In the meantime we can only suggest that people do not place orders.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
wes kiser
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by wes kiser »

I agree on the wiring harnesses. I always purchased RS autosport ones. DIY's labeling was of noticeably better quality, but all terminals labeled (along with the extra wire included) made the RS better suited all my installs. I have never done a MS installation that did not require at least one spare wire. I am very suprised DIY hasn't started this as well. If they needed to to get the price down they could included 1-2 feet less length, and add the extra wires.
86 Rx-7, swapped to 2.3 ford turbo (BW EFR 6758), ms3/ms3x sequential fuel /waste spark, ls2 coils
88 Tbird 2.3t, Microsquirt Module (PIMP), TFI ignition
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

wes kiser wrote:I agree on the wiring harnesses. I always purchased RS autosport ones. DIY's labeling was of noticeably better quality, but all terminals labeled (along with the extra wire included) made the RS better suited all my installs. I have never done a MS installation that did not require at least one spare wire. I am very suprised DIY hasn't started this as well. If they needed to to get the price down they could included 1-2 feet less length, and add the extra wires.

agreed. Pins 3-6 are nice to have. But I can guess how tough it is to stock the right item at the right price.
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
60-2 Wheel LS2 Coils, Low Z Inj
Co-Driver 1999 BMW E46 DSP car.
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

At the moment, we've been dealing with requests for extra wires by offering an add-a-wire kit, as the requests haven't been coming up very often. Lately we've been seeing more requests for additional wires, though. A redesign of the harness is on the way, but tooling up for it and getting the wire printed will take some time.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

Matt Cramer wrote:At the moment, we've been dealing with requests for extra wires by offering an add-a-wire kit, as the requests haven't been coming up very often. Lately we've been seeing more requests for additional wires, though. A redesign of the harness is on the way, but tooling up for it and getting the wire printed will take some time.
Matt, the add a kit is a great feature. Maybe it just needs a little more promotion and a short video on how to insert the pins.
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
60-2 Wheel LS2 Coils, Low Z Inj
Co-Driver 1999 BMW E46 DSP car.
Dohc Rocks
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Dohc Rocks »

Matt, the thing is that these days with MS2 and MS3 pushing the limits if what can be done and what can be processed, the demand for more inputs and outputs has made leaps and bounds.

RS's wiring harness was perfect, it gave you the ability to max out the DB37 and also included plenty of extra grounds and power wires for coils and injectors. It was a one stop solution to wiring in an MS as opposed to scouring the internet trying to find matching TXL wire for injector power wires, fuel pump wires and so on.

If you upgraded your harness to the RS standard, I for one would buy at least one immediately and I'm sure many others would follow suit.

The only upgrade I'd like to see over the RS harness is to upgrade the injector wires to 18 gauge make the coil wiring a buyer selectable feature. You could select COP or wasted spark and a cylinder count and would then receive the wires necessary for the coil (ie. 4 cyl wasted spark would include 2 16 gauge signal wires and 1 16 gauge power wire)

I'm not knocking your product or your store (heck I just bought an MS3 and case from you last week'ish) but the wiring options could use improvement/modernization.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Having all signal pins connected and ten six grounds (six power, four signal) seems like a good idea. Different options likely increases build and stock complexity too much. I second Peter's suggestion to make the "add a wire" option very clear as it gives a solution now.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

jsmcortina wrote:Having all signal pins connected and ten six grounds (six power, four signal) seems like a good idea. Different options likely increases build and stock complexity too much. I second Peter's suggestion to make the "add a wire" option very clear as it gives a solution now.

James
x3
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
Dohc Rocks
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Dohc Rocks »

Only prob with the add a wire system is that the added wires are not labeled and are all the same color which is one of the big selling points for the harness kit in the first place.

Just max out the pins on the DB and call it a day, perhaps you can add modular wiring kits such as:

1) Coolant fan (powers, grounds, a relay, fuse, and signal wire
2) Coil (depending on setup)
3) Boostcontrol (power and signal)
etc...
joedokes
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by joedokes »

Paul VR6,

Unfortunately it does appear as though you are the only one he's responding to, I took a chance and ordered the BIP373 ignition boards. The order is still pending, for $21.00 I'm willing to let it sit there for a while. I really want the boards, as they are the best solution to my running COPs on my hemi. If he does respond to your email could you please ask him to close the site and simply fill the remaining orders. That'd go a long ways to earning some good karama.

Regards,

Joe Dokes
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

As I posted yesterday I encourage Glen to speak up here about the situation.

I don't know about the USA, but here in the UK the consumer protection laws do now cover websites and internet advertising too and I would think that Glen's now "fake" business would fall foul of this law.

James

hassmaschine
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by hassmaschine »

if he defrauds somebody over state lines then it becomes a federal crime.. and you don't want to go there.

of course, prosecuting somebody would be challenging, especially over $21. but if it goes on long enough and adds up over time, they'll notice.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

I think that all those who have asked for a refund have gotten it. So even though the site is still up and it seems nothing is being shipped, he's not keeping the money and trying to defraud anyone.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
Paul_VR6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Paul_VR6 »

I'll see if I can get him to post on here, can't make any promises though. He has been in touch and been shipping harnesses to me, but that's the only thing I get from him. I can understand that it's a risk but I *love* the RS harnesses and until I can get/make something similar I'm stuck.

Matt, I'm going to shoot you an email on some harness ideas...
-Paul
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Paul_VR6 wrote:I'll see if I can get him to post on here, can't make any promises though. He has been in touch and been shipping harnesses to me, but that's the only thing I get from him. I can understand that it's a risk but I *love* the RS harnesses and until I can get/make something similar I'm stuck.

Matt, I'm going to shoot you an email on some harness ideas...
Got it. There's a few things we may end up agreeing to disagree on, but we'll take your suggestions seriously and I've passed it on to the guys drawing up the specs and prices on the new design.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
FoundSoul
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by FoundSoul »

Our new harnesses, as Matt mentioned, will have the spare wires labeled /colored uniquely. What else is it you would like to see? Do you like the fact that they ship un-assembled so you can poke them together and use only the wires you need? That would save us some cost if you do, and we could pass that savings on to you. Though that said, copper is driving wire prices up. I just got notice that our wire prices are going up over 30%. I try to eat prices increases as often as possible, but 30% is something I just can't eat. We'll work hard to keep them affordable though.

Even if we did start to offer them un-assembled, I know we'd have plenty of customers that prefer it assembled. Might have to do them both ways, with a cost difference for the labor savings if purchased unassembled.
Jerry a.k.a. 'FoundSoul'
Founder DIYAutoTune.com / AMPEFI.com

The DIY EFI Tuners Guide – How to Install, Configure, and Tune EFI!

Killer Products We've Brought to Life:
MS3Pro, MSPNP and MS3Pro PNP
More info on MSPNP Models
MicroSquirt AMP'd!