RS232 --> Bluetooth. What do you think ?

This is a forum for discussing the development and testing of alpha MS2/Extra code. Documentation
(Runs on MS2 and Microsquirt)

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

WestfieldMX5
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: RS232 --> Bluetooth. What do you think ?

Post by WestfieldMX5 »

Mine came with an antenna, but I noticed that the picture on their website now shows them without antenna. You really need an antenna or you'll have a poor range. A wifi antenna fits just fine.
I've been playing with a RN-134 wifi to serial converter, but I can't get a stable connection :cry: .
2016 Westfield SEiW MX5 1.8 - 6sp - Torsen - MSM turbo - MS3 Pro - 2.3kg/hp
Breastfed
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Breastfed »

Nice to know that the L048 should work .... still waiting for the Royal mail to deliver :)
Breastfed
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Breastfed »

f_devocht wrote:I've been playing with a RN-134 wifi to serial converter, but I can't get a stable connection :cry: .
http://mobisquirt.org/user-manual/conne ... /hardware/ ...is this of any help :)
krisr
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by krisr »

I can confirm that I got the LM048 to work with my MS3X (v3.0) setup without even any mainboard mods (like jumping pins 7-8). Once I got the unit configured on the laptop and set it to undiscoverable mode, plugged it into the MS (gender changer is required), switched it on, fired up tunerstudio which automatically connected to the bluetooth com port and the comms LED on the LM048 flashed away and tunerstudio was displaying as per normal :yeah!:
Sydney, Australia
1971 Holden Monaro HQ
MS3X Sequentially fuelled 400 Pontiac
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

I'm considering the US converters UCBT232B... for $45 MSRP and can power off pin 9, looks like a winner.
Always doing things the hard way, MS2 sequential w/ v1.01 mainboard, LS2 coils. 80 mile/day commuter status.
Breastfed
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Breastfed »

My LM048 arrived today ..looks good, not bad for $30 + P&H ....wil see how tonight :D
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

We'll see how that USConverters unit works in a couple days.
Tempted to buy a LM048 from the fellow in the UK on Ebay, but the mail costs and time lag kinda kills that.
(not as bad as Canada Post, tho... that can take months for some bizzaro reason, likely customs related)
Always doing things the hard way, MS2 sequential w/ v1.01 mainboard, LS2 coils. 80 mile/day commuter status.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

piledriver wrote:(not as bad as Canada Post, tho... that can take months for some bizzaro reason, likely customs related)
Sorry for the OT (this is a pet peeve of mine) but this has to be customs related because when I send something to the US it takes longer than it does for most European country. Still it's usually about 2 weeks not months (except this summer when there was a strike at CanadaPost). But it has taken 5-6 weeks on a few occasions.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

hmmm I can't seem to get an MS3 to connect reliably with the LM058.

I'm just using my Dell's built in Bluetooth; which may be the issue.
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
60-2 Wheel LS2 Coils, Low Z Inj
Co-Driver 1999 BMW E46 DSP car.
WestfieldMX5
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by WestfieldMX5 »

Do you have an antenna on it? Without antenna, the range is really very poor.
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

f_devocht wrote:Do you have an antenna on it? Without antenna, the range is really very poor.
Yep; and the laptop is right next to it. :(
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
60-2 Wheel LS2 Coils, Low Z Inj
Co-Driver 1999 BMW E46 DSP car.
Breastfed
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Breastfed »

The LM049 works now :D

Breastfed
Breastfed
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Breastfed »

krisr wrote:I can confirm that I got the LM048 to work with my MS3X (v3.0) setup without even any mainboard mods (like jumping pins 7-8). Once I got the unit configured on the laptop and set it to undiscoverable mode, plugged it into the MS (gender changer is required), switched it on, fired up tunerstudio which automatically connected to the bluetooth com port and the comms LED on the LM048 flashed away and tunerstudio was displaying as per normal :yeah!:
Hmmm I had to jumper pins 7-8 before it would work .... whats the diff
Breastfed
WestfieldMX5
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by WestfieldMX5 »

fwiw, I got the RN-134 (wifi - serial) to work as well. It involves installing a virtual com port (used Perle's Trueport for this).
Works quite good with a longer range than the LM058. Seems I need to tweak a couple of settings still as once in a while, the connection briefly drops.
Maybe using udp instead of tcp might solve this. Also, I have no antenna on it yet (need to source a U.FL to SMA cable).
landybehr
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by landybehr »

Hi,

sadly I´m completely unaware of Bluetooth. But I´d love to get rid of the USB-serial adapter cable which is always in the way should a passenger want to take a ride.

Could I do the following:

- buy a male and a female Serial connectors/plugs and connect them via 1 foot of wire - and with this "DIY" extension cable I could also:
a) put the BT-adapter aside (it´s tight around MS) and :
b) short the wires that connect pins 7 and 8 without any mods inside of MS.

- then buy a USB-BT unit to plug into my Laptop. I will only tune with the Laptop being on the passenger seat.

- then follow the setup á la http://westfieldmx5.devocht.com/index.p ... section=35

???
Range Rover Classic
WestfieldMX5
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by WestfieldMX5 »

You could make one yourself, but why not buy one that's ready made. Just solder the 2 pins together on the pcb, at lot less work than fabricating your own serial cable.
I'm actually doing the same thing at the moment, serial cable with the bluetooth adapter plugged in it.
landybehr
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by landybehr »

Thanks, but tinkering with the pcb is more work for me. ;) I would have to take MS out and apart - while I would still need an extension cable. Anything long that I plug into the DB9 socket protrudes into the passenger´s footwell. With the extension cable I can put the BT sender out of harm´s way.

Great idea .. the BT connection .. . I have a v3.0 board so IIRC the power supply has to be there .. I´ll check that and then send out an order
Range Rover Classic
rcr1978
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by rcr1978 »

I got the LM-048 working on MS2Extra, version3 with no pins jumpered, Windows7. I'm using a Targus dongle since I don't have a built in bluetooth on my laptop. Here's the catch it won't work unless it's programmed from a serial data port on a computer that has one, at least for me. I tried at first with my laptop and no luck (no DB9 connector). Hooked it to a older Vista conputer to the DB9 port programmed the baud rate to 115200, default is 19200 or some garbage with it's program that came with it, thats why I could'nt connect to it earlier. It takes a few seconds to connect to TunerStudio at first with some warnings but after those are cleared it works normal, it's a little slow somewhere around the 10 frames per second on the data rate setting a little slow for my liking. It will program but goes offline afterwards. I think I will stick with my USB to serial adaptor since it's way faster but this may work decent enough for the Android stuff as a dash board and some logging but I prefer something faster because it's not going to catch everything.
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

The cheap USconverters unit seems to work OK, have only played with it on the bench with Ms1-extra.
It has to be setup once using serial commands as well (I had PuTTY handy)

I'm too lazy to yank the MS2 box in the DD at this time to add a jumper wire.

Has pretty good range with the class1 ASUS dongle I'm using, even indoors with lotsa metal.

Now if I could just figure out how to get it to automatically connect/configure on detection it would be perfect.
landybehr
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by landybehr »

:?:

The LM048 arrived today. But there was no software with it.

I guess it will not install anything, á la USB. So I will have to download it somewhere.
If only I knew from where. At LM-technologies.com I only see "configuration tools" for LM049 and others. I´m not sure how that will work.

help ??
Range Rover Classic