USB-serial adapter compatability list

All questions about MS2/Microsquirt/Microsquirt module. See also MS2/Extra manuals

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

bigt_45
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: USB-serial adapter compatability list

Post by bigt_45 »

LOVE this thread!!!

I bought the Trendnet converter from Radio Shack and it installed/works great on my XP laptop and Win 7 Starter netbook. The only issue I noticed is that if I have my project open in TunerStudio and turn the key to OFF, the program goes to offline mode and will not come back online when the key is turned to the ON position. It seems like the ignition has to be on when the project is opened in order for it to recognize the COMM 4 port. Any ideas?
Steph
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Steph »

I just got back from Jaycar Electronics here in Australia, and I can report that they do currently sell a Prolific based serial to USB converter under the Digitech brand name. It has the following details on the accompanying driver CD. I hope this helps someone in their search...

PL-2303 Driver Setup Installer, Prolific Edition
Setup Installer Revision Note History
=================================================

System Requirement:
. Supports the following Windows OSes:
- Windows 98SE
- Windows ME
- Windows 2000 SP4
- Windows XP SP2 and above (32 & 64 bit)
- Windows Server 2003 (32 & 64 bit)
- Windows Server 2008 / 2008 R2 (32 & 64 bit)
- Windows Vista (32 & 64 bit)
- Windows 7 (32 & 64 bit)
NOTE: For Windows 7, please use RC build 7100 or above.
. USB host controller
. Device using PL-2303H/HX/X version chip

Supported device ID and product strings:
. VID_067B&PID_2303 for "Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port"
Daryl
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Daryl »

Picked up an "nGEAR" adapter part # G-S402. $9.99 at NCIX in Burnaby, BC. FDTI chipset/driver. Working fine for the 2 days I've had it.

Cheers
Daryl
fiesdachs
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by fiesdachs »

Using the ATEN UC232A with TS and Microsquirt and it works great!!!
matt_gsxr
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by matt_gsxr »

This blue tooth adapter works for me.

uConnect BT-232B-E

This needs a gender changer to connect to the MegaSquirt (£1.69 from Maplin). In order to allow it to communicate on an early MS board this needed pins 7 and 8 to be shorted together (most easily done from the underside of the MS board).

Settings on the bt-232b-e to make it communicate with the MS are "DTE", "S" (slave), "G" group, and it needs powering (most easily from a separate USB cable).

To configure the bt-232b-e you need to connect it to a computer serial port (no gender changer) and the settings are "DCE", "S", "G", on my computer it still needs a separate power supply.
bigt_45
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by bigt_45 »

With the Trendnet I have noticed that sometimes if I turn the key OFF and Tunerstudio goes offline, it can be hit and miss whether turning the key back to ON brings the communication back online. Sometimes waiting longer works, sometimes not. Sometimes unplug/replugging the USB works, sometimes not. Has anyone else ran into this sort of "sync" issue and found a solution?
zero2005
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by zero2005 »

running a Dynex 16inch USB-Serial, windows 7 64-bit, shows up as a "prolific PL-2303" works great, the only problem i have is while running a 9 volt battery, if the voltage drops to ~6.7 (seems like anything less than 7v) i get erratic behavior. but i think thats a battery problem, not a connector problem. its the white cord, got it at best buy for $36. cheapest thing they had locally, didnt feel like paying/waiting for shipping.

if you plug it in to one USB port, try to use the same port, or reconfigure your tuning application to use the new port...

Tried it in kubuntu 11.10, but was unsuccessful in getting it to work. then again i didnt really try that hard, as i couldnt find any drivers. If anyone has working drivers for linux for the prolific, please post a link or send the file to me and i'll see about hosting it if it needs to be. Might try Ubuntu as a live CD to see if i can get it working that route, as well as a couple other linux options. if not i'll be making the swap on that laptop back to WinXP. only went linux due to hard disk and resource problems.
rabid
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by rabid »

BEWARE Prolific 2303 adapters on ebay. I bought a cheap adapter on ebay and it turned out to fail at maintaining a connection. I was getting error code 10 http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/FAQs.asp?ID=50 and also serial framing error in tunerstudio.

I tested a cheap but genuine prolific pl2303-hx adapter and the gigaware from radioshack. Both work great!
rhinopower
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by rhinopower »

This adaptor works perfect, better than the standard internal serial adaptor. It also works with my macbook when booting xp in bootcamp.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320769756582? ... 859wt_1218

Its also dirt cheap!
hybrid
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by hybrid »

Here is one that does NOT work with megasquirt, so don't buy one.
It's a CH340 chipset.
It looks like this:
It connects OK, but drops out after 20 seconds or so.
Do not load someone elses tune and expect it to work for you!
rabid
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by rabid »

hybrid wrote:Here is one that does NOT work with megasquirt, so don't buy one.
Ya that's the one I was talking about.
hybrid
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by hybrid »

rabid wrote: Ya that's the one I was talking about.
OK, well my one isn't a Prolific chip - it's a CH340 Chip

Here is a closeup of my actual device. Notice the 340 moulded into the plug. Check with the seller and if it has this marking, don't buy it.

Do not load someone elses tune and expect it to work for you!
rabid
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by rabid »

Mine says 2303 right there so I thought it would be ok. Either way they are the same kind of knock off so beware those style of plugs.
rhinopower
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by rhinopower »

The one i posted the link for is CH304 not prolific as advertised and works fine.
mattheripper
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mattheripper »

fnrjb wrote:
Hey_Allen wrote:I bought a FTDI adapter directly from FTDI's website after having lousy luck with the (VERY cheap) prolific devices that I'd gotten ahold of.

I've had no issues so far, in a year of use off and on, and had one of my IT server admin friends decide to buy two of the same adapter after having played with mine for a bit.

FTDI Chip web store ==> http://apple.clickandbuild.com/cnb/shop ... egoryID=84

The seem to intend these as product proof devices (no labels or markings) for developers to base larger purchases on, but they work very well as they are.
In my opinion this is one of the best cable you can buy, the driver creates a virtual COM port, so surely it will work with any software you may need. the ones based on FT232RL or FT232RQ chip can be configured by software (not needed here) so it will be usable on almost anything you need.
I buy one US232R-100 directly from the FTDI shop, it looks great and a good construction quality, very far from any chineese version and a good price.

This is my opinion, i have nothing to do with FTDI, just my opinion because it's a good product :-)
Would something like this work right on the board rather than a adapter cable?
http://www.newark.com/ftdi/db9-usb-f/mo ... ccessories
If it could that be way better than using a big bulky db9 bluetooth unit. And the usb bluetooths are so cheap.
1st post...
4DR R32 KA24DET DIYPNP HOLSET HE341 18x10.5 / 18x12
https://www.facebook.com/HeatBloom
esso
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by esso »

gigaware is perfect for me been useing it for 3 years now with no issue at all

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=3120513
rc.square24
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by rc.square24 »

Hi there, I bought this USB-Serial adapter from fleabay, less than $3.00 USD shipped. It is a PL2303HX chipset and works with Tunerstudio v1.006 on my Macbook Pro running OSX 10.7.3 as well as my Win7 virtual machine in Parallels Desktop.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/USB-RS-232-RS232 ... 2502wt_952

Download the PL2303HX drivers from here as the supplied disk has a few dozen drivers on it to dig through, I had to open the case up to find out which chipset it had.

http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?id=31

How it looks:
Twistedmetal
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Twistedmetal »

Ok, I have a combo to add. I was having issues with the DIYautotune adapter dropping my link and screwing up link data with all of the noise in the car. I couldnt get any data from logs because the link would fail every time I made an attempt to log anything. Fortunatly my wife works for DigiKey (we live up here in far northwestern Minnesota), so I have easy access to lots of very good parts. The other morning I had enough and sent her out with a parts list, this morning I gave it a shot hoping for the best and I wasnt disappointed. The new parts worked flawlessly, no failures at all even with multiple WOT pulls.

I highly suggest that if you need something and want it to work, give this one a shot. Tested with WinXP on an Acer Aspire one netbook using the provided FTDI driver.

AE10409-ND USB 2.0 serial m/DB9 Digitus adapter
AE10644-ND USB 3.0 A male - USB 3.0 A female shielded 2m cable
MS3X v3 w/Ford IAC mod running MS3 1.41
Sig PIP TFI trigger with direct coil control, 60# highZ injectors
91 Ford Mustang, modified 5.0, 70mm turbo @ 11#s
djivesp
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by djivesp »

Regarding the CH340 ebay special - ive been using one for ages and its spot on. Looks exactly like the pic above - the translucent green/turquoise thing.
I had problems with it when i first bought it, and didnt use it for ages, then couldnt find my belkin one and gave it another go, works flawlessly now! Its a fresh windows xp install with no hax.
I think its a case of using the correct drivers and disabling the FIFO buffers. Ill link to the driver when i find it, if thatll be helpful.
botasjr
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by botasjr »

I use for many years an Aten UC232A with sucsess
but now
i thing something wrong, the major problem is.
engine runing, working with tunerstudio, if i shut off the engine, and then i crank the engine again, after that tunerstudio show to me diferences beetwen the ecu and the tuner studio project, sometimes parameters that i never have touched, like injector trim or something like that.

could be a cable problem?