Engine Masters Challenge 2011 results

General talk about successes. See older information on MSRUNS forum.
dieselgeek
Master MS/Extra'er

Engine Masters Challenge 2011 results

Post by dieselgeek »

Figured I would post up our "success story"

I installed and tuned an MS3X on the "Hot Heads Research" entry this year, which is a 1956 Chrysler Hemi running a set of Hot Heads aluminum heads, a customized Hilborn inline throttle body and a wicked set of ram tubes / injector stacks CNCd by my friends at Smithberg Racing.

But first, I want to extend a HUGE thanks to James Murray, Ken Culver as they made themselves available for each of our dyno sessions during the past 2 years in preparation for this event. I simply could not do this without your help with software questions and best practices. Also I'd like to thank Jerry and Matt at http://www.DIYautotune.com as they provided us with the MS3X parts to get the job done. Finally, another HUGE thanks to Jean Belanger and Alan To, who provided the IOX and SLC-OEM modules which allowed a first at the event: individual 8-channel O2 corrections THAT WORK! We would be far behind the pack if we hadn't been able to monitor individual O2s and correct on the fly, period. The magazine decided to do a tear-down and a feature article in coming months because our engine was so unique and "intricate" (A great term to describe a MEgasquirt effort!).

We placed 10th in the "Extreme Street" division, not a bad finish considering we were up against NHRA ProStock engines, numerous Cup Car engine configurations, late model LS's and Hemis, you name it.

Here's the update from PHR's website and a few pics they took:

Team 6 Hot Heads Gene Adams Performance
The Hot Heads/ Gene Adams Team led by Bob Holmes is a story of coming together to pay tribute to a friend. With the death of team leader Dan Miller, who was the life and driving force behind the entry, it seemed as though this entry would be withdrawn. Dan's close friends, team members, and associates from across the country came together to see Dan's final engine project to completion as a tribute to Dan Miller. The early Hemi engine had to be one of the most intricate and complex ever to run in Engine Masters competition. With a top end from Hot Heads, a Mega Squirt EFI, and a unique inline throttle body, this piece was genuinely one of a kind. In a groundswell of support the dyno room was packed with team members and supporters as the engine met the dyno. Scott Clark worked the tune as the 385-cube early Hemi prepared to fire in qualifying for the Xtreme division. The engine put down a very strong show, showing a peak power output of 689 horsepower, with a score of 2767.1. Dan would have been proud.

Read more: http://www.popularhotrodding.com/engine ... z1aVltiydD

Squirted: it's easier to list the ones I haven't squirted. I need to do more motorcycle engines!
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Engine Masters Challenge 2011 results

Post by Matt Cramer »

Congratulations!

Putting an Electrojector logo on the MS3 was a great touch.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
dieselgeek
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by dieselgeek »

Matt Cramer wrote:Congratulations!

Putting an Electrojector logo on the MS3 was a great touch.

There was a guy who helped on our team who was a Chrysler tech in the last 50s when they introduced the Electrojector. He had seen a vacuum tube prototype controller on the earliest versions, demo cars from Detroit. A year or two later he said they had the non-tube version, and it looked like this under the cover:

That made me feel pretty good about my assembly/soldering skills!!! Anyways, we thought it would be cool since this early hemi was the first production car - albeit limited to something like 20 installations - to have truly electronic fuel injection.
Squirted: it's easier to list the ones I haven't squirted. I need to do more motorcycle engines!
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

I think people will need to go there to see the picture (at least I did): http://www.allpar.com/cars/desoto/electrojector.html. Is there even a PCB under there?

And congratulations! I'm glad I was able to have a tiny contribution in this.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Looks like it pre-dates PCBs and was built on valve style solder-tab boards. I've dismantled 50s and 60s equipment like that where you just solder the parts together "in the open" and it looks a complete mess.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

It would be fun (not) to make an MS kit that way.
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

racingmini_mtl wrote:It would be fun (not) to make an MS kit that way.
We'd joked about when MSD came out with their "40th anniversary edition" 6A boxes that we should do a 10th anniversary MegaSquirt to make something close to the very first ones out there. It would have come with a V2.2 board, 1 bar MAP sensor, processor, an LMB Heeger case you'd have to cut the endplates for yourself, and you'd have to source the rest of the parts from Digi-Key. :lol:
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
tpsretard2
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by tpsretard2 »

hehe, i not seen this in long.
But i found a pic of the "Brain" in my archives, i cant see it in the link, so i thought i would post it for other interested people.
Inside20brain20box.jpg
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

Matt Cramer wrote:
racingmini_mtl wrote:It would be fun (not) to make an MS kit that way.
We'd joked about when MSD came out with their "40th anniversary edition" 6A boxes that we should do a 10th anniversary MegaSquirt to make something close to the very first ones out there. It would have come with a V2.2 board, 1 bar MAP sensor, processor, an LMB Heeger case you'd have to cut the endplates for yourself, and you'd have to source the rest of the parts from Digi-Key. :lol:
I think it would come with V1.01 board (I have one but holding out for when it becomes "collectible") :)
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
60-2 Wheel LS2 Coils, Low Z Inj
Co-Driver 1999 BMW E46 DSP car.