USB datalogger

A forum for discussing the MegaSquirt related (but non-B&G) board development, assembly, installation, and testing.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

904svo
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: USB datalogger

Post by 904svo »

Please give a example after D, then type what for Oct 31 .

PS it does the same thing with
Hyperterminal
Huey
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Huey »

Your screen should look like the picture below. Notice the settings at the bottom of my Hyperterminal screen do they match your settings?

Dodge 2.2L MPI Turbo Power Running MSnS1/Extra.
Chevrolet 5.3 LM7 running MSnS2 /Extra
Chevrolet Twin Cam 4 cyl running MSnS2 / Extra
Home of the USB data logger---> http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 67&t=34901
904svo
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 904svo »

Mine doesn't look like that. Here a picture of what I get that keeps on being display on the screen and only can stop it with D or T command.
SNAG-3.jpg
Huey
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Huey »

It will not work correctly with the Parallax serial terminal. You need to use Hyperterminal and select ANSI for Emulation.

Huey
Home of the USB data logger---> http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 67&t=34901
904svo
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 904svo »

down loaded hyperterminal. This is what I get now.
Looks like yours now
SNAG-5.jpg
Wergilius
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Wergilius »

Hello

What should be the highest supported USB disc size? The manual for the VDIP firmware says:

"All firmware versions support BOMS devices formatted in FAT12, FAT16 or FAT32 file systems
only where the sector size is 512 bytes. No other file systems or sector sizes are allowed."

I have tried 4GB but files get corrupted and formating 4GB with sectorsize 512 do not work.

2GB works fine but are soon hard to find (size is ok, it seems to give ~140 hours of logging at 25Hz)...

Anyone having success with more then 2GB?

/jens
Paul_H
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Paul_H »

I use an 8GB FAT32 stick. No problems.
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

I think we used 4gb at Barber Motorsports Park
Worked great
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
60-2 Wheel LS2 Coils, Low Z Inj
Co-Driver 1999 BMW E46 DSP car.
904svo
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 904svo »

Pretty sure my unit is work now. What are the steps to cause the unit to data log? On my sim it creates the *.frd file size between 1k and 2k
in size.
904svo
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 904svo »

I think I found my problem. Pin 4 on 9 pin connector on the datalog unit needs a voltage on it to datalog. I'm using a straight 9 pin cable
(pin 1=pin1 etc pin9=pin9) pin 4 from the datalog unit goes to pin 4 on megasquirt unit which is connected to pin 6 in the megasquirt unit
back to pin 6 on the datalog unit which does not go anywere. Is it ok to tie pin 4 to pin 8 (datalog unit)to get the unit to work.
Huey
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Huey »

904svo wrote:I think I found my problem. Pin 4 on 9 pin connector on the datalog unit needs a voltage on it to datalog. I'm using a straight 9 pin cable
(pin 1=pin1 etc pin9=pin9) pin 4 from the datalog unit goes to pin 4 on megasquirt unit which is connected to pin 6 in the megasquirt unit
back to pin 6 on the datalog unit which does not go anywere. Is it ok to tie pin 4 to pin 8 (datalog unit)to get the unit to work.

Pin 4 is only used to reset the Propeller when updating the EEPROM from your PC. It is not used for data logging. You might try flipping switch SW4. This will swap pins 2 and 3 on the 9 pin connector. Also make sure dip switch_2 is set to match your Megasquirt baud rate ----> on = 9600, off = 115200 baud. Pin 8 is not connected.

Huey
904svo
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: USB data logger

Post by 904svo »

Huey wrote:
904svo wrote:I think I found my problem. Pin 4 on 9 pin connector on the data log unit needs a voltage on it to data log. I'm using a straight 9 pin cable
(pin 1=pin1 etc pin9=pin9) pin 4 from the data log unit goes to pin 4 on megasquirt unit which is connected to pin 6 in the megasquirt unit
back to pin 6 on the data log unit which does not go anywere. Is it OK to tie pin 4 to pin 8 (data log unit)to get the unit to work.

Pin 4 is only used to reset the Propeller when updating the EEPROM from your PC. It is not used for data logging. You might try flipping switch SW4. This will swap pins 2 and 3 on the 9 pin connector. Also make sure dip switch_2 is set to match your Mega squirt baud rate ----> on = 9600, off = 115200 baud. Pin 8 is not connected.

Huey
I try all those things , switch 2 set set 1=on (logging mode) set 2=on (9600 baud) set 3=on (auto logging), if I reverse s4 led 3 does not come on and does not create the *.frd file. If I set it back it creates the *.frd file but only has a header data in it. If I loop pin 4 to 8 this causes
the mega squirt to transmit the data and fulls out the *frd file with data. With out it connected the mega squirt unit does not transmit any data. You shipped me version 1.2 circuit board with the chip program. I hope this will help you.
Huey
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Huey »

Okay, so we know the serial connection is working try setting your read delay to 5ms. Also I noticed your mark button is pressed in your screen shot??? I don't understand why pin 4 needs to be connected to pin 8. What version of the Megasquirt PCB do you have V2.2, V3? If you connect a PC to your Megasquirt and type "S" what is returned from the Megasquirt?

Huey
Wergilius
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Wergilius »

Peter Florance wrote:I think we used 4gb at Barber Motorsports Park
Worked great

ok, i have tried 2 diffrent 4gb with same behavior but my 2gb stick works flawless.
i format and try again and see.
Wergilius
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Wergilius »

904svo wrote:Pretty sure my unit is work now. What are the steps to cause the unit to data log? On my sim it creates the *.frd file size between 1k and 2k
in size.
is your firmware id listed ?
(type Q in terminal if connected to msbox or read in the ini file)

edit, my com cable only have pin 2,3 and 5 connected (tx,rx and gnd)
904svo
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 904svo »

Pretty sure I found my problem
switch K2 was out of stock, so I replace it with a DPDT switch from Radio Shack. After check Digi-Key
part number the switch is SPDT/center off. I got another switch which meets these requirement from Radio Shack.
Now what is the operation of the K2 switch between M ,L and center to data log the information?
904svo
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 904svo »

More information with autologging set on , I can see the data stream out on the Microsquirt unit on pin 40n (PBX32A), Led_3 is flashing
if I move switch 2 to M led_2 flashes on then off. The unit does not create a *frd file on my scan disk althought it does create the MEGALOG
folder. any ideas on what the problem is.
Huey
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Huey »

Make sure the logger is on and ready before switching on the Megasquirt.

M = mark file with a red line when viewed with Megalogviewer.
L = start/stop the logging. A new file is created each time the logging is restarted.

Huey
904svo
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 904svo »

IT WORKS GREAT.
The problems I had were my fault!!
The problems were I had the wrong type SW2 switch installed and after reading Huey post over and over. I was not leaving the power on the data logger unit, the unit starts to writes the data after the mega-squirt is turn on and stops after the mega-squirt stops transmitting data which will write to *.frd file on the USB thumb drive.
Switch 2 is not used and is left in the middle position, if dip switch 3 is set to the auto logging on feature.
Just plug in the USB thumb drive and it ready to record data from the mega squirt unit.
Huey
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Huey »

Great to here its working out :D Would anyone be interested in a composite video output so you could view the incoming data on a screen in text format? Something like:

RPM 3250
Water Temperature 195
Air Temperature 85
Boost Pressure 10 PSI
Oxygen sensor output 0.75
Battery Voltage 13.2
Spark Advance 28

The inc files would have to reside on the USB stick to convert temperature.
I'm thinking it would be about a $30.00 upgrade that included the hardware and software and could be soldered into the expansion slot.

Huey