Waterproof and rugged Case for MS3

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

smokeysevin
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Waterproof and rugged Case for MS3

Post by smokeysevin »

I am looking at running a MS3 Setup on a jetski project I am working on and I was wondering what the current possibilities for a vibration/shock and water resistant case are available. I will need to run either 2 waste spark or 4 COP Ignition circuits and 4 Injectors in addition to the normal sensors (Crank and cam position, temp, pressure, MAP, tps ect...)

Thanks

Sean
2005 Kawasaki STX-15f Jetski
1498cc I-4
12.5:1 CR
46mm throttle bodies
ported head
Ferrea valves
38# injectors
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Waterproof and rugged Case for MS3

Post by dontz125 »

Jean and I are both investigating the possibilities for this, but with the MicroSquirt Module. He's a fair bit further along - here's a link to the thread on his site. From what you've described as your needs, the module should do well enough.
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
SymTech Laboratories
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by SymTech Laboratories »

You could also look into the new MicroSquirt. It's not waterproof by default, but it can be fully sealed fairly easily:

http://www.useasydocs.com/details/mount.htm#seal
SymTech Laboratories, LLC ----- MSQ File Repository: megasquirt.symtechlabs.com
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

The problem with the Microsquirt is that you can't run sequential injection with 4 injectors if that is something you want to do. However, this is possible with Microsquirt module-base ECUs such as the ones Don mentioned. You can have a look at the pictures of what mine looks like: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 52#p298467.

However, these run MS2/Extra and if you want the MS3 features and hardware then they won't do. However, there aren't any ready-made solutions for a waterproof MS3 at this time. You'd either have to make your own using the current boards into some sort of waterproof enclosure or wait for a ready-made unit to be done.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
krisr
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by krisr »

I think an MS3X featured board that would fit into a Microsquirt size/style case would be a massive win. But I suspect atleast 2 PCB and 2 AMPSEAL's would be required to make it work.
Sydney, Australia
1971 Holden Monaro HQ
MS3X Sequentially fuelled 400 Pontiac
myk777
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by myk777 »

Here's what I did for a V3 board and MS2, could be used for MS3 as well with possibly another connector if needed. I currently run 4 spark outputs and two P+H injector outputs as well as constant baro, fuel pressure and GM stepper IAC plus all the standard stuff..still have a couple spare pins on the ampseal 35pin connector.

http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 94&t=39556

Mike
smokeysevin
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by smokeysevin »

Does the Microsquirt do datalogging and if so to what size storage unit. I like what Mike has done with the big case for the Megasquirt. I would be using Ampseal connectors anyways because things get wet in the hull of a Jetski.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys,

Sean
1498cc I-4
46mm throttle bodies
ported head
Ferrea valves
38# injectors
SymTech Laboratories
Super MS/Extra'er

smokeysevin wrote:Does the Microsquirt do datalogging and if so to what size storage unit. I like what Mike has done with the big case for the Megasquirt. I would be using Ampseal connectors anyways because things get wet in the hull of a Jetski.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys,

Sean
It cannot do datalogging independently. You would either need a connected laptop or a 3rd party datalogger (there are a couple that can do this over the CAN bus or serial connection).
smokeysevin
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by smokeysevin »

Ok, I would like to go the megasquirt route then, I have a yellow racing ecu that is user programmable but does not do internal logging. I really want the ecu to be able to log internally so I can log more than just rpm and afr.

So does this mean I need to go ms3 and find some way of sealing it?

Sean
1498cc I-4
46mm throttle bodies
ported head
Ferrea valves
38# injectors
SymTech Laboratories
Super MS/Extra'er

smokeysevin wrote:So does this mean I need to go ms3 and find some way of sealing it?
Presently, yes, but as a few others have mentioned, there may be a few 3rd party options soon.
smokeysevin
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by smokeysevin »

How much of a factor is internal heat if i were to seal it? It will be mounted in the hull but never gets over 110 degrees or so.

Sean
1498cc I-4
46mm throttle bodies
ported head
Ferrea valves
38# injectors
SymTech Laboratories
Super MS/Extra'er

smokeysevin wrote:How much of a factor is internal heat if i were to seal it? It will be mounted in the hull but never gets over 110 degrees or so.

Sean
110 degrees Fahrenheit should be fine, but 110 degrees Celsius would be dangerously warm.
smokeysevin
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by smokeysevin »

My mistake, I thought I said fahrenheit. It will be mounted away from the motor and exhaust. How vibration and shock resistant are these ecus?

Sean
1498cc I-4
46mm throttle bodies
ported head
Ferrea valves
38# injectors
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

smokeysevin wrote:My mistake, I thought I said fahrenheit. It will be mounted away from the motor and exhaust. How vibration and shock resistant are these ecus?

Sean
They do pretty well but in general when I do a race car install I mount them on rubber isolators similar to the ones that come with an MSD6AL. The one I run in my street car came out of a race car that hit a jersey barrier at over 100mph. The MS was mounted to the side of the fabricated dash and the impact tore the aluminum off the box tube frame. 15000 miles later it's still happy.
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
Turbo nut
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Turbo nut »

Somebody please build a nice case with a nice amp connector or something like the Bosch 55 pin connector. It's kind of a crime to have thousands of dollars worth of good looking braided lines etc. Then to have this plain little box with cheap looking connectors. I hope I didnt piss anyone off but the MS case is not sexy or cool looking. To some people this matters.
1982 porsche 930
smokeysevin
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by smokeysevin »

I will be using some sort of water resistant connectors, I need to find a nice aluminum box once I decide which set of hardware I will be using. The other issue I see with the MS3/ms3x is the sd card, does it need to be removed to read log files or can it just live in the ecu? I am thinking right now that I will just get some sort of nice aluminum box with an o-ring sealed top or seal it with rtv and use an ampseal connector and have another connector to pull log files or flash on. I would really like to replicate Mikes setup with the box just with a MS3.

Sean
1498cc I-4
46mm throttle bodies
ported head
Ferrea valves
38# injectors
Turbo nut
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Turbo nut »

Yes it would be nice to be able to download the data off the SD card with the tuning laptop without removing the card.
1982 porsche 930
krisr
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by krisr »

Yes it would be nice to be able to download the data off the SD card with the tuning laptop without removing the card.
Easy. I do this all the time.

http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms3/sdlogging.html
Log file extraction

The log files on the card use a compact binary format. Before you can view these files it is necessary to convert them to the conventional log format using TunerStudio.
The firmware supports fetching the log files directly over the serial connection. Presently TunerStudio does not support this and a standalone utility sd_sync2 is used. This could be useful at the track, but for large or multiple log files it is often fastest to pop the card out of the MS3 and plug it into your computer or card reader. When inserting the card into a Windows computer, cancel all dialogues and attempts to handle camera files etc.
Sydney, Australia
1971 Holden Monaro HQ
MS3X Sequentially fuelled 400 Pontiac
EFIDART512
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by EFIDART512 »

Turbo nut wrote:Somebody please build a nice case with a nice amp connector or something like the Bosch 55 pin connector. It's kind of a crime to have thousands of dollars worth of good looking braided lines etc. Then to have this plain little box with cheap looking connectors. I hope I didnt piss anyone off but the MS case is not sexy or cool looking. To some people this matters.
I would take the MS3 module and install it on a new base board with AMP connectors but I think this can't be done.
The MS3 must be installed on a B&G board, I'm I correct or not?
Possibly it just has to be licensed with B&G.
Can we get an official ruling?
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

EFIDART512 wrote:The MS3 must be installed on a B&G board, I'm I correct or not?
Correct.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum