WIRELESS or LONG distance tuning

Questions specific to Megatunix - alternate tuning software that runs on unix and windows.
Note that Megatunix is obsolete.

Moderator: djandruczyk

Is this useful to your tuning efforts?

Yup
73%
Nope
24%
I just lurk, I don't have an ECU
3%

Total votes: 33

djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

WIRELESS or LONG distance tuning

Post by djandruczyk »

Here's something cool:

Lets say you need to remote tune your vehicle of choice, let's do it with a pair of laptops and wifi.

prereq's:
Two laptops with wifi or ethernet connectivity. (wifi for a wireless link)

BOTH must be running Linux. The one connected to the physical MS box can be really low powered, as it doesn't need to run a GUI, a P200 is more than adequate.

interceptty from http://www.suspectclass.com/interceptty/

End to end laptop connectivity (i.e. they must be able to ping each other via TCP/IP)

Setup:
Install interceptty on both machines

Code: Select all

wget http://www.suspectclass.com/interceptty/files/interceptty-0.6.tar.gz
tar xvzf interceptty-latests.tar.gz
cd interceptty-0.6
./configure
make
sudo make install
Definitions:
- Server machine: The ONE connected to the ECU
- Client machine: The one running megatunix through a virtual serial port.

Edit the following scripts to taste (change IP/PORT/PHYSICAL_PORT as needed)

SERVER script

#!/bin/sh

PORT=3333
SRV_IP=192.168.0.2
PHYSICAL_PORT=/dev/ttyUSB0
BAUD=9600

interceptty -q  -s 'ispeed ${BAUD} ospeed ${BAUD}' \
${PHYSICAL_PORT} \
@${SRV_IP}:${PORT}
CLIENT SCRIPT
intercept-client

#!/bin/sh

SRV_IP=192.168.0.2
PORT=3333
LOCAL_DEV=/tmp/virtual-serial

interceptty -q @${SRV_IP}:${PORT} ${LOCAL_DEV}
Run that as well.

Now run megatunix and let it error out on the comm port and go to the comms tab and select "/tmp/virtual-serial" as the port to use and it should linkup and run.
David J. Andruczyk
MegaTunix author. The only non-java cross platform tuning software for MS-I/II hardware.
Where to get and how to install:
http://msextra.com/viewtopic.php?t=23080
http://sourceforge.net/projects/megatunix
Maglin
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Maglin »

I voted no. And I say no for one main fact. It requires 2 laptops and you can't really have the car go to far from the AP or you would loose sync.

Now I've had this idea recently of using your cell phone with DUN and use something like this virtual comm setup except just use DUN on a cell. Then you can have someone drive all around town or in a different state for that matter. As long as it's just the serial data I wouldn't see their being any speed issues. FYI on a 1XRTT network (normal digital cell not EVDO) you get around 110ms of latency and 220ish kbs down and 90ish kbs up. It's to slow for say a windows remote desktop. But taking this idea and putting it to DUN use might would make for some great tuning experiences.

Now I just have to find the Motorola USB drivers for Linux. I'm currently running Unubtu 7.04 on my laptop. Been playing with PCLOS on my older desktop. Haven't really looked hard for cell phone drivers but I'm sure they are out their. You think it would be fairly easy to use this over a DUN connection? If so then totally yes it would rock.
Jeremiah
93 5.8 LX Mustang - MSIIextra
92 Eagle Talon TSI AWD Turbo - MSIIextra
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Post by djandruczyk »

Maglin wrote:I voted no. And I say no for one main fact. It requires 2 laptops and you can't really have the car go to far from the AP or you would loose sync.

Now I've had this idea recently of using your cell phone with DUN and use something like this virtual comm setup except just use DUN on a cell. Then you can have someone drive all around town or in a different state for that matter. As long as it's just the serial data I wouldn't see their being any speed issues. FYI on a 1XRTT network (normal digital cell not EVDO) you get around 110ms of latency and 220ish kbs down and 90ish kbs up. It's to slow for say a windows remote desktop. But taking this idea and putting it to DUN use might would make for some great tuning experiences.

Now I just have to find the Motorola USB drivers for Linux. I'm currently running Unubtu 7.04 on my laptop. Been playing with PCLOS on my older desktop. Haven't really looked hard for cell phone drivers but I'm sure they are out their. You think it would be fairly easy to use this over a DUN connection? If so then totally yes it would rock.
You're also making an assumption. have the laptops in AD-hoc mode instead of client mode, this way they need to stay withing about 100-400 feet from each other. use stronger wifi antennas (i.e. 7 or 9 dBi omni's) and you can triple that range or better. this method is useful for tuning a vehicle like a motorcycle. The motorcycle driver shoves the laptop in a backpack, and a chase vehicle has a passenger do to the tuning. Add in a Vox acticated radio (chatterbox) and the two can talk to each other withing a quarter mile to relay info back and forth. (i.e. it's running good, it's bucking, needs fuel, etc). Also laptops are cheap, and the one at the MS end can be something insanely old as it does NOT need a gui. an old Pentium 300 would be more than fast enough, most places can't even give away things this old.

Here's a best of both worlds setup.

Have each laptop have either a Cell/EVDO card or usb connection thru their cell phone and you could tune from the other side of the planet (Assuming latency doesn't destroy the virtual serial link)

most cell phones these days have either EVDO, Edge or 1x RTT, can be used as a dialup/broadband modem to the internet, The serial link howto works no matter the link as long as it's TCP/IP running on top of it.
David J. Andruczyk
MegaTunix author. The only non-java cross platform tuning software for MS-I/II hardware.
Maglin
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Maglin »

Well then sorry for the no. It's definitely a great item to have. I'm currently writing this on my cell phone connection. Don't have internet for about a month while I'm moving across the country. And I was going to try and use remote desktop (very stripped down) to help my buddy with his new MSIIextra car.
Jeremiah
93 5.8 LX Mustang - MSIIextra
92 Eagle Talon TSI AWD Turbo - MSIIextra
dan catalyst
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: WIRELESS or LONG distance tuning

Post by dan catalyst »

i bought a serial bluetooth dongle for my ms,tryin to tune wireless.never ended up using it, but im sure it would work.
Metalfab_101
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Metalfab_101 »

Another application might be at a racetrack, so you can run telemetry data back to your pit crew F1 style! :mrgreen:
M30guy
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by M30guy »

This is a great idea honestly.

Sorry if I messed important points, but the way this would work
if you hooked up your phone to the ms, or use a satellite modem or how exactly would that work?

I have windows so I'll never be able to use this. :( just curious.
Ms2-3.4.2 v3.0 .
Turbo BMW m30b35.
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Post by djandruczyk »

M30guy wrote:This is a great idea honestly.

Sorry if I messed important points, but the way this would work
if you hooked up your phone to the ms, or use a satellite modem or how exactly would that work?

I have windows so I'll never be able to use this. :( just curious.
You need to be able to use the software at each end to create the bridge, so your phone would have to be able to run some version of interceptty on the device connected to the MS. and no satellite won't work, due to the extreme latencies (750-1500ms), but a cell phone or wifi link should.
David J. Andruczyk
Haudi
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Haudi »

Any other ideas on long distance telemetry? I'd kill to be able to run TunerStudio live from pit lane and make subtle changes. I'd assist a kill if I could only get one-way telemetry to at least monitor the car. Would need half a mile range at a hilly place like Road Atlanta. Looked at RS-232 900mhz wireless adapters that advertise 12 mile range, but they are $3,000. Surely there's some cheaper way.
Cody Forbes
MS1-E
'86 Audi 5000TQ
'86 Audi 5000TQ
'87 Audi 5000TQ
'85 Porsche 930
'86 Porsche 944/LT1
'84 Renault R5 Turbo
'02 Porsche Boxster w/ S/C
'76 Porsche 911
MS2
'87 BMW 325i w/ turbo
MS3E
'01 Audi S3
'91 Toyota Supra
'86 Audi 5000TQ
'95 Porsche 965
'86 Porsche 951/LT1
'73 Porsche 914 3.6l
Gokart
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Gokart »

would this be enough for your application?
http://www.usconverters.com/index.php?m ... cts_id=254
(4G63T - MSIIextra) (4G13 - MS3-beta testing)
djandruczyk
MS/Extra Guru

Post by djandruczyk »

Baud rate of that makes it only suitable for ms-1....
David J. Andruczyk
The Deviant
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by The Deviant »

There are several serial over ethernet/IP devices available today that could work. I could see possibly using one of them with a cellular network device (like, say, a "Cradlepoint" type router - with ethernet port and wifi (if you need wifi)), and simply connecting via the Internet. Of course, if it's slow/RTT, bad signal, etc. you might have issues, but the OP was about using WiFi, so that could be done this way too. If you are a licensed amateur radio operator, you can even kick the power up with readily available 2.4GHz WiFi amplifiers.

I don't see a better option, or a need for a better option - it would work, simply, and with off the shelf hardware. On the "Tuner Studio/Megatunix" side, another "Cradlepoint" device, and another converter, and that's done. Some converters also have a software 'driver' to eliminate the need for two devices (much like the bluetooth serial port).
James B.
1985 Merkur XR4Ti Rally Car
MS3 3.57+MS3X+RTCC+Knock
Ford Lima 2.3 Turbo/MSD LS2 COPs/DIYAT Hall Cam Sensor/Electromotive VR Crank Sensor
Nexus 7 Instrumentation with Shadowdash MS