MS3 1.1 feature freeze

Testing and development of Megasquirt 3

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

jsmcortina
Site Admin

MS3 1.1 feature freeze

Post by jsmcortina »

To announce that Ken and I plan to feature-freeze the 1.1 code.
i.e. we do not plan on adding any new features to this code stream (new features will be added to future code streams.)

We want to solidify the existing features so that they work "as advertised" and address any bugs that may crop up.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
S.Bretz
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: MS3 1.1 feature freeze

Post by S.Bretz »

Is there a link to the complete list of choosen features in 1.1 or should we refer to the change log thread?
wrenchdad
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by wrenchdad »

James,

I know you and Ken are shooting for a release soon of 1.1 but I was wondering if I could request a feature, if not on this version that maybe on the list for the next, 1.2?

Here is my issue, when running AC, which down here in the south is just about all times, and when pulling from a stop, the load of the AC makes it like a night and day difference compared to when its off, stalls at times unless feather the clutch and sometimes I miss it. SO...........

I was thinking if there was a cutout for AC that was tied to rate of change of TPS , that would allow the dropout of this high load even when I am below my normal TPS cutout of 40%. Just not a lot of torque on these little 1.6 motors. Or maybe a low rpm cutout that would drop this load to help prevent stalls?

thanks
wd
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

There's no list. Right now the Changelog would be the best place to look, but we can easily generate a consolidated list.

Ken
Megasquirt is not for use on pollution controlled vehicles. Any advice I give is for off road use only.
y8s
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by y8s »

wrenchdad wrote:James,

I know you and Ken are shooting for a release soon of 1.1 but I was wondering if I could request a feature, if not on this version that maybe on the list for the next, 1.2?

Here is my issue, when running AC, which down here in the south is just about all times, and when pulling from a stop, the load of the AC makes it like a night and day difference compared to when its off, stalls at times unless feather the clutch and sometimes I miss it. SO...........

I was thinking if there was a cutout for AC that was tied to rate of change of TPS , that would allow the dropout of this high load even when I am below my normal TPS cutout of 40%. Just not a lot of torque on these little 1.6 motors. Or maybe a low rpm cutout that would drop this load to help prevent stalls?

thanks
wd
Are you opening up your idle valve with the A/C on? i.e. do you have an RPM added to nominal idle RPM? Ideally you'd have enough extra idle speed that the extra load from the A/C is accoutned for by the idle valve during takeoff. Normally (at least in my logs), the idle valve doesn't close instantly, but rather over time after exceeding the minimum TPS threshold.
wrenchdad
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by wrenchdad »

Are you opening up your idle valve with the A/C on? i.e. do you have an RPM added to nominal idle RPM? Ideally you'd have enough extra idle speed that the extra load from the A/C is accoutned for by the idle valve during takeoff. Normally (at least in my logs), the idle valve doesn't close instantly, but rather over time after exceeding the minimum TPS threshold.
The answer to most of your questions is yes, Yes I am using CL idle control PLUS an extra air solenoid so that the idle control valve doesn't have to really move when the AC kicks on. I came up with this method over several years and different revs of MS units, finding that the stock ICV just could not give enough air to handle the AC without help. I am not adding RPMs to my target idle speed, tried that and had too much trouble with AC turn off recovery BUT I am adding about 3.5 % to idle duty which puts the idle rpms about 75 rpms above target when AC kicks on. And yes the idle valve does stay open during takeoff.

The thing is that with this small high reving engine, it just doesn't have enough grunt if the idle dips below about 800rpms SO that is why I was thinking that either a cutout based on % of TPS change or a low rpm cutout would allow the engine to recover during these rare transits. Understanding this doesn't happen everytime I takeoff with the AC on, but when you are stuck in traffic sometimes or when I just mess up and give it too much clutch. Just rather have something that was "Automatic" to help.

More thinking on it makes me think the low RPM cutout would be the best way go, that way it would only come into play when taking off from a standstill.

later wd
S.Bretz
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by S.Bretz »

I added a/c control to mine before the a/c idle up stuff was implemented. I used one of the spare outputs to control a few relays. One for the a/c switch in the car...but the MS control another relay on a spare output to break the a/c compressor circuit if 1) the rpm goes too low, or 2) the high side line gets to high (that has a pressure 0-500psi pressure sensor wired into a spare adc input). It works rather well. The idle rpms, with the newer idle advance featue, compensates for the extra load by adding more timing.....I have no iac valve.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

The current TODO before we complete 1.1 stands as follows:

Feature enhancement:
- When closed loop idle is enabled, make Idle Timing RPM correction optionally
depend on that instead of the normal conditions for coming on.
- Prime pulse delay

Wheel decoders:
- GM7X - review / test sequential cam support
- Chrysler 2.2/2.5 continue refinements to make it sync more quickly

There are some incomplete wheel decoders which may be removed before release.
- 36-2-2-2 V6 application - waiting on data
- Viper V10 wheel mode - untested
- Audi flywheel mode - seems tricky to get right
- Nissan CAS - do they all work?
- Optispark mode - reliable or not?
- NGC 6cyl cam sync - waiting on phasing data

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

JAM
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by JAM »

jsmcortina wrote:The current TODO before we complete 1.1 stands as follows:

Wheel decoders:
I will be interested to hear how the test goes.
I am a little confused at how many/what engines use this code, it seems that I keep reading that people use this code for various engines. Pretty sure the cam wheel on the vortec 4200 unique to the engine, can this decode multiple cam triggers?
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

jsmcortina wrote:Feature enhancement:
- When closed loop idle is enabled, make Idle Timing RPM correction optionally
depend on that instead of the normal conditions for coming on.
- Prime pulse delay
These are done.
Wheel decoders:
Nothing new.
- Chrysler 2.2/2.5 continue refinements to make it sync more quickly
Some feedback.
- 36-2-2-2 V6 application - waiting on data
- Viper V10 wheel mode - untested
- Nissan CAS - do they all work?
- Optispark mode - reliable or not?
- NGC 6cyl cam sync - waiting on phasing data
Zero feedback received.

James

Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

I see there's been some feedback about Vipers in the MS3 general support forum; it is syncing up at the moment but the install is not yet complete.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
elaw
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elaw »

jsmcortina wrote:
Zero feedback received.

James
James,

Just a quick FYI... I'm willing and eager to continue testing the Audi trigger, especially if we can get it configured so I don't have to change wiring to switch between that and Jean's divider.

But at the moment, my Megasquirt system is sitting in a box in the garage, next to the engine that's sitting on a stand, awaiting installation into a new car. It's a "small" project: I'm only swapping out the entire drivetrain, suspension, brake system and about 142 other things. :lol:

So I'm going to be unable to do any testing until, hopefully in a month or two, this crazy thing's put back together and running!
Eric Law
1990 Audi 80 quattro with AAN turbo engine: happily running on MS3+MS3X
2012 Audi A4 quattro, desperately in need of tweaking

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
JAM
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by JAM »

James,

After much application of “work arounds” as of last night I now have what I believe is a solid output from a hall sensor on the GM7X, (I posted an output from my soundcard scope on the thread). Tonight I will apply what I am getting from the sensor into the MS3X and see what results I get. I will report on my progress
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

Moved